service+ status update

There appears to have been some work on Hotbird today as the post below will show, hope they keep this up. Even if we dont get the full Service+ back yet it's nice to know some work in in progress.

"13east some channels on with service +
At the moment it looks like they are testing on Hotbird. Transponder 12188v 27500, with these channels:Foxlife,Nat Geo Wild,Espn, Discovery, DisneyXD,Cinemax,and Tvp2. It's not stable at present as it goes off for a few minutes or so, then kicks back in. On the info button source is Service+. Happy Days...Cheers ..aldrum"

@kchris back on topic now chris.

Thanks for the update Jimi. Keep them coming.We seem to be slowly getting there.
Can I ask that If you dont like the spiderbox , dont buy one & dont visit this section, its very simple.
Some of us have bought this peice of kit & just want to try & get service plus working as it was before, which seems to be slowly happening.

Cheers everyone (hope this is not in the wrong section) ! :banana:

As long as Service+ makes a come back then I can't see a reason why members who dont own a Spiderbox should complain.
Ok we all have our favourite receivers and just today I got a TM5402HD to play with, to be honest a receiver is a receiver ALL have their good and bad points.
No receiver will be everything to everyone and although I could probably find something to complain about with the TM I wont as I'm not that type of person.
I enjoy this hobby and find the good points with every receiver I've owned, KAON, Satycon, SAB, Neotion, Protek, Nannoxx and a few others.
All receivers are great as they offer us a way to view what otherwise would cost a small fortune.
All I can say is long live satellite TV and a big thanks to Arthur C Clarke for his article on geostationary satellite orbits published in 1945 (there a history lesson as well !!) .:proud:

Rory mcilroy has the best golf clubs on the planet but it couldnt make him win the Masters?

brin

I hope for the sake of newer owners, that service+ does come back in some form, but, i think that due to whats happened, itll be a constant game of cat and mouse, which is what makes this 'hobby' all the more enjoyable. staying one step ahead, working around the latest countermeasure.

unfortunatley though, as the spiderbox has shown (also other receivers like starview, kryptview and others) it gives people things on a plate, and does it with bells and whistles on, which WILL draw attention to the product from authorities

theres some receivers out there, which have been quietly doing this for years and years, and will probably continue to do so for a while, without any problems, as they dont scream from the rooftops about what theyre able to do

in a hobbyists perfect world, spiderboxes, commercial cardservers, and other huge money making things would all get busted and shut down, and it would then revert back to what it used to be

SHARING

but now, its all about profit, and as the channel providors are losing out on the profit, theyre making things hard for the commercial big servers (good) but this also affects the small hobbyist sharers (bad)

every receiver has good and bad points, some more than others, but, as long as you can watch the channels you PAY for, then its doing its job

@digidude now I have to both agree and disagree with you, first I will say you are 100% correct on all your points BUT the problem is that not all people wishing to join the hobby as as "computer savvy" as yourself.
Lets be honest the receivers that have been around for a while quietly doing the job use Linux and this to the average man in the street is just slightly more difficult to learn than say Chinese.
The very success of the receivers you mentioned is down to their simplicity both in installation and operation and it's this that makes them so acceptable to the less experienced user.
As you said wide spread use of them is bound to draw attention and may adversely effect others.
But again just a couple of years ago we had the likes of Multivision, Polsat, Taquilla and so on opening with simple softkeys which was so successful that the providers opted for better encryption and these are no longer available by simple softkey.
Other than sharing with like minded friends it's difficult for members to extend with any except sadly a pay server.
Overall we have had and still do have a hobby that represents very good value for money the odd setback now and again I think we have to accept and learn to live with.
I hope Service+ returns in full soon for our newer members and I am fairly sure that the raid on the shop was engineered by a well known organization, I have been told that the server is well out of the way and hope that this is so.

Lets be honest the receivers that have been around for a while quietly doing the job use Linux and this to the average man in the street is just slightly more difficult to learn than say Chinese.

I Completely agree with you there. I consider myself quite computer literate, but when it comes to Linux I would have to sit down and do a lot of reading just to get the basics. I've only just got my head around the concept.

Rgds

JP

im the most unsavvy person here with computers m8, if i need to print something off on one of my computers, i have to copy it to a memory stick, and take it to the computer with the printer attached, even though theyre all on the same network lol

protek have had closed source receivers out for a number of years, and their 'gift' has been quietly running without drawing atention to itself, so linux isnt a must for this type of feature

a few years ago, the best i could manage was patching my tm1500 with a null modem lead, i did by a dm500, and after 6 months put it back in the box, and sold it, as i could only just view
FTA channels. about 4 years ago, i then got another one, but, back then, if you didnt know how to work a dreambox, and you didnt know someone 'in the know' then help was non existant, it was all cloak and dagger, so me and a close friend spent nearly a month, mostly trial and error, to get our boxes talking to each other. i remember one night, someone was helping via msn, and id given remote access to my box, it was like watching black magic. i wasnt doing nothing, but, things were happening, on their own, then the box worked, we had pictures

i was hooked

since then, everything ive learned has been from google, some help form people, and trial and error

it IS a steep learning curve, but you get much more out of the hobby by sticking at it

people find it wierd that i do stuff like this, but i dont actually watch telly, unless its something big (like tonights boxing, or big brother :))

Agreed it is a steep learning curve and one where you need the time (and peace) to experiment until you get the hang of it, but I have an Eagle which I played with for a week or so then re-boxed it and it now sits in my garage.
It will remain there until I feel like a challenge and get it out for another go.

Today I took a Technomate 5402CI+ new out of the box and had it running in about 30 minutes (I was totally unfamiliar with this receiver and had to scan satellites and I made a few basic mistakes) result 30 minutes from starting I am watching TV.
My experience of the Spiderbox range lets me take a new one from the box and have it installed and working in about 8 minutes (using my own channel list not scanning satellites that would take longer).
Clearly the NON Linux way is the simpler way to go, and this (in my opinion) is by far the easiest and my preferred method, Linux for me is a no go (well maybe one day I'll try again).
For now I'm happy with my Spiderbox and my new TM receiver.

Agreed it is a steep learning curve and one where you need the time (and peace) to experiment until you get the hang of it, but I have an Eagle which I played with for a week or so then re-boxed it and it now sits in my garage.
It will remain there until I feel like a challenge and get it out for another go.

yes m8, that is one thing you most definatley need, and a whole lot pf patience, maybe a few beers and a 'relaxant' of your choice lol

my first linux receiver experience was trying to get it going around very long working hours, the kids wanting cartoons and the missus wanting soaps, and after 6 months, i gave up.

following a change in circumstances, i suddenly had more time, and a lot less tv viewing hours per day were needed (none were needed) so decided to give it another go

this was when there was no online tutorials, and forums wouldnt help with linux receivers, so i know 1st hand just how hard they can be to use and fathom out, especially when theres 2 of you, who know very little, 200 miles apart, trying to work things out by finding what doesnt work

even now, im still always trying to do more than i actually know how to, and people do offer help, and im extremely gratefull for it, but i always ask them, 'please dont tell me 'just do this' but point me in the right direction instead'

even with closed source receivers, things can sometimes go wrong and not work quite right, but, if you dont make those mistakes for yourself, and find out how to fix them yourself, youre not really learning anything

jimi, setup a card in your spiderbox to access via your own internal network, and connect the 5402 to it, then (get ready for this m8) get your eagle out of the garage, and set it up as a client only, and connect it to your spiderbox as well, if you want some help, gimme a shout

its not all about getting a full blown sharing server up and running just because its linux and its able to, just getting it to remotley connect to your spiderbox will be a satisfying achievement, and serve as an introduction to linux receivers for you

go on, you know you want to ;)

Last edited:
Nice to see some good natured discussion/debate without the silly name calling. Takes me back a good few years ago to when I got my D2mac decoder & got it to work. Great feeling:Clap:

@digidude
Thanks for the offer of help and I might well take you up on that. For now I am making a channel list for the TM and getting to grips with it.
It's a great pity that the FAV folders have a limited capacity but I'm getting round that by having multiple FAV's for well known providers.
I will seriously think about opening up the Eagle and trying again but my next job is setting up a small recording studio for the penny less but talented bands in my area.
Think I'll call it "Bridlington Rock":Hit:

@digidude
Thanks for the offer of help and I might well take you up on that. For now I am making a channel list for the TM and getting to grips with it.
It's a great pity that the FAV folders have a limited capacity but I'm getting round that by having multiple FAV's for well known providers.
I will seriously think about opening up the Eagle and trying again but my next job is setting up a small recording studio for the penny less but talented bands in my area.
Think I'll call it "Bridlington Rock":Hit:

once you start with 'small' projects, youll find they quickly snowball into bigger things, so its all good :)

the more someone is able to do on their own, without having to rely on remote servers etc to get more use out of their equipment, then the better sense of achievement they get, not only out of the actual equipment itself, but also from 'knowing' how to do something, everyone was a newbie once, no matter how technically minded or knowledgable they are today, they was a newbie, and thats one thing i dont like about forums, is the way some people 'speak down' to people who cannot do something

some people want to be spoon fed, and are too lazy to even attempt to look things up, and its understandable when people get the hump with them, as all of the answers are there with a little searching, but, when someone says 'ive tried this, and done that, and even attempted this as well, but am stuck' then youll find people will help from all angles

speaking of studios, me and the missus, and dutcho and his missus all went to liverpool for a party, and somehow, out hotel room ended up looking like a studio, the facebook pics aint what they look like (honest mum, if youre reading this)

This thread is getting seriously close to turning into a decent conversation

LOL!

Brin

This thread is getting seriously close to turning into a decent conversation

LOL!

Brin

lol, 4 pages long, and still nearly on the same track as the original post, surely thats a DW first :proud:

anyway, on a releated note, im off for a beer, or 12 :Cheers:

SCT Channels on Hotbird 11727V 27500 now open.

latest update from boxer26

& more JimmyP :proud:

Originally Posted by Boxer26
10809V 24500
TV3 (N)
Adult
Now removed and replaced by

Thor/Interlsat 0.8W
11310V 24500
BBC Knowledge
Cartoon Network
Nordic TCM
Boomerang

Looks like things are moving in the right direction, small beginnings but if the pace is kept up there should be smiles soon :Clap:

Looks like things are moving in the right direction, small beginnings but if the pace is kept up there should be smiles soon :Clap:

you have got to give them credit. they could have folded up their tents with the s*** hitting the fan with the shop ect. regards mdt

Back