Remote access home network??

AH right, I see now. Shame the software doesnt let you do this.

But, and now my knowledge gets sketchy as I havent done this in ages, you should only need to open the ports on your firewall and then forward them to the device on your network.

The DynDNS service wont really care what ports you have open, it just provides the URL.

Yeah, but your "sketchy" knowledge is a lot more clearer than mine lol

So the dyndns service should "follow" my ip should it change then?

Curly

heres a screenshot of my no-ip config.

the port of my device uses is 12005 so ive forwarded that on router and firewall.

when i type my no-ip address into browser it takes me to the device.

if I take the port out of the no-ip setup and type no-ip address into browser it goes to my router setup.

noio.png

Last edited:
Yeah, but your "sketchy" knowledge is a lot more clearer than mine lol

So the dyndns service should "follow" my ip should it change then?

Curly
What happens is this, your PC will have an application on it that speaks to the DynDNS service - each time your IP changes at your end, it updates your DynDNS server. So the URL you are given then points back to your IP assigned by the ISP.

Now, for your device to work, it needs to be advertising its IP to your DynDNS service. To do this, the service you are using and the device you are using need to be compatible, For instance, my BT HomeHub works with DynDNS, I just put my username and password in and it updates DynDNS.

If it doesnt, then you are going to get a 404 like you have been experiencing.

Where did you get this URL from, www.********.avers.com.tw ?

Stop me if I am wrong, but that doesnt look like one No-IP gives out?

No m8, that's the one from the instruction manual where you register the dvrs mac addy with the manufacturers website (avers)

My no-ip doesn't work either :(

I don't get my router setup page like you do V14?

Curly

I'ts all becoming clearer :)

I'm at work at the moment so can't have another play with it untill tonight.

If I type my home ip into the address bar of IE, should I be able to connect to anything?

Curly

yup...should be able to so long as you have correctly set up port forwarding.

just to simplify things you could do it without any dynamic dns by just using your correct ip and the port ie xxx.xxx.xxx.xx:port.

the dynamic dns is only needed when your IP changes.
my ip hasnt changed for about six months

v14 has made a very good point there, you could do it with your IP. The only time it could ever change is when you turn the router/modem off and on again.

But, to the dynamic part... No-IP would normally give you a URL to use, this would be the one to try. From looking at the manual, you dont need No-IP at all, the DynDNS is handled by Aver Media for you.

In fact, I think I see the problem - you need to open up and forward the DDNS ports to the device you are using (they are in appendix a), these are 53 and 1053 (pretty standard). So try and forward these ports to the device and then check your URL again. Dont forget to open and forward the other ports as well.

v14 has made a very good point there, you could do it with your IP. The only time it could ever change is when you turn the router/modem off and on again.

But, to the dynamic part... No-IP would normally give you a URL to use, this would be the one to try. From looking at the manual, you dont need No-IP at all, the DynDNS is handled by Aver Media for you.

In fact, I think I see the problem - you need to open up and forward the DDNS ports to the device you are using (they are in appendix a), these are 53 and 1053 (pretty standard). So try and forward these ports to the device and then check your URL again. Dont forget to open and forward the other ports as well.

I only started messing with no-ip because the one from avermedia wouldn't work.

I did forward those ports, but still nothing.

I'm going to check the router when I get home.

Curly

Ok, you can ignore No-IP for the time being, it looks like the box has its own DNS service you can use.

Just a note on the ports, 53 and 1053 are ports used with DNS, its standard for these ports to use this service.

Also, there are a list of ports that need to be forwarded in appendix a of the manual, should help you out if you get stuck.

But, keep us posted - I am interested to hear how you get on with this.

Ok, you can ignore No-IP for the time being, it looks like the box has its own DNS service you can use.

Just a note on the ports, 53 and 1053 are ports used with DNS, its standard for these ports to use this service.

Also, there are a list of ports that need to be forwarded in appendix a of the manual, should help you out if you get stuck.

But, keep us posted - I am interested to hear how you get on with this.

Will do m8.

Thanks again for all your help so far guys :Clap:

Curly

Update :)

I had a play about with my router last night.
I checked all the forwarded ports and all looked fine.
I went on canyouseeme.com and checked the ports.........nothing!
I asked it to check port 80, knowing this wasn't forwarded, nothing.
I went back into the router and added port 80, checked the port again and it worked.

It seems that the 2 ports I need for the DVR to work may be being blocked by my isp!
I left port 80 open, came to work and logged on, typed my home ip and got the install webcamX.cab message!!!
Even the avers.com.tw works without problems!
Thing is, it says in the instructions to use port 80 on the internal network when I connect from the lappy or htpc (192.168........) but says to forward 53 and 1053 when talking about remote access. Very confusing instructions unless I've misread them.

1 additional problem is that my privilages on this machine at work won't permit me to install the webcamX.cab file, so I still can't access the cameras, but I'm getting there now lol

I guess I'll have to speak to the isp with regard to ports 53 and 1053.

Curly

It isnt unusual for ISP's to block these ports, they are used for DNS, so if you are on a residential package they may take this step to prevent you from running a meaningful webserver from home.

These ports should be the ones updating your IP address to aver media's DDNS system

It isnt unusual for ISP's to block these ports, they are used for DNS, so if you are on a residential package they may take this step to prevent you from running a meaningful webserver from home.

These ports should be the ones updating your IP address to aver media's DDNS system

Ahh I see now.
I was thinking they were for communicating with the dvr, to select playback mode etc or for ptz cameras if I had 1.

Do you think they would let me use those ports m8?

Well, I don't seem to be having much luck with this.
I've got port 80 forwarded etc, but I think it's some issue with the webcamX.cab file. I've tried on different pc's and it seams at best hit and miss. It locks up internet explorer which results in the program not responding.
I've tried different friends pc's using vista and xp. TBH I'm not impressed with this side of things.

I'm going to try to access it from a different route if possible.

I have an old pc which has been formatted and xp reinstalled on it.
If I also install the remote console program that came with the dvr, could I use windows remote desktop to access that pc, and there fore control the dvr via that pc??
Would I be right in thinking that the old xp pc would be doing all the work and I would be simply viewing a copy of the screen?
I had a quick read up on remote desktop and it mentioned using the computers name. Would I have to make sure that the host pc has a unique name, as I am sure there are a few on the net called "home pc" lol

Curly

Well, I don't seem to be having much luck with this.
I've got port 80 forwarded etc, but I think it's some issue with the webcamX.cab file. I've tried on different pc's and it seams at best hit and miss. It locks up internet explorer which results in the program not responding.
I've tried different friends pc's using vista and xp. TBH I'm not impressed with this side of things.

I'm going to try to access it from a different route if possible.

I have an old pc which has been formatted and xp reinstalled on it.
If I also install the remote console program that came with the dvr, could I use windows remote desktop to access that pc, and there fore control the dvr via that pc??
Would I be right in thinking that the old xp pc would be doing all the work and I would be simply viewing a copy of the screen?
I had a quick read up on remote desktop and it mentioned using the computers name. Would I have to make sure that the host pc has a unique name, as I am sure there are a few on the net called "home pc" lol

Curly
If you did this via VNC, it would be very, very slow over the internet.

You may see better speeds with a app that uses RDP (remote desktop connection for instance), but even then I wouldnt like to hazard a guess.

The reason being is this, VNC is uncompressed. So any video you get over a network is going to be very slow. RDP uses compression, so things will be slightly better - but still bad. Even if you use UltraVNC, which has its own video drivers that offer compression, things will still be bad.

Are you unable to get the cab installed? When I tried it it took a while for it to install on my machine. This is because your device is uploading it to my PC, which will take quite a bit of time (its not a small file), this is constricted by your upstream bandwidth.

Does any of that help or make sense?

If you did this via VNC, it would be very, very slow over the internet.

You may see better speeds with a app that uses RDP (remote desktop connection for instance), but even then I wouldnt like to hazard a guess.

The reason being is this, VNC is uncompressed. So any video you get over a network is going to be very slow. RDP uses compression, so things will be slightly better - but still bad. Even if you use UltraVNC, which has its own video drivers that offer compression, things will still be bad.

Are you unable to get the cab installed? When I tried it it took a while for it to install on my machine. This is because your device is uploading it to my PC, which will take quite a bit of time (its not a small file), this is constricted by your upstream bandwidth.

Does any of that help or make sense?

Yeah I see what you're saying. I suppose the remote desktop route is fine for viewing a word document for instance, but I would in effect be streaming video.
As I'm only on the 2Mb bb package I'll have a slow upload speed too.

I tried last night on a mates pc (XP)
It downloaded the webcamX.cab file, and when I checked it under IE addons it was there.
When I go to my ip it simply locks up, it's not as though it's downloading a file. I left it for ages last night and nothing. When I click to close the window it says program not responding.

It's a wierd one this :err:

Curly

Back