Remote access home network??

Curly

Inactive User
Reaction score
In between Bro and Mairyhinge. Hold that thought..
Hello there,
Not sure where to start here, so I'll start at the begining lol.

I want to be able to remotley access my dvr (cctv) which is on my home network.
The thing came with very basic instructions of what to do, but these seemed to be a bad translation from chinese lol

The instructions said register the dvr's mac address at the manufacturers website. This I did. They then give you a user name which you enter into the menu page of the dvr using a pc running xp. This itself was a nightmare as I'm on vista. Anyway, I can't get it to work. I've forwarded the necessary ports etc, but nothing. I just get the usual no website found or whatever.
I've set up an account with no-ip.com with the idea that I could use this to forward to my ip at home. The dvr won't allow me to put any details in apart from relating to the manufacturers site.

I can access the dvr through my network using a bit of software that came with it. This side of things works fine.
What I'm wondering is (and the point of this rambleing thread lol) how can I access my dvr using some other means??

Would I have to leave a pc running with the dvr software on, then remote access to that pc, could I run and use that program remotely??

I hope this makes sense lol.

If anyone has any better ideas, please feel free, I'm a bit stuck as to which is the best direction to go in.

A bit more info to help.....

I have a no-ip account but only the free version.
I have my own web site so could possibly add a link from it?
The dvr is hard wired to the router

Thanks in advance guys

Curly

Not a clue, Im thinking of the crap way round. Using something like tightvnc to connect to your pc, then to your dvdr. I did say crap!

Does your dvr s/w have any config setup ? There is something like this which possibly you might have something similar to

Hello there,
Not sure where to start here, so I'll start at the begining lol.

I want to be able to remotley access my dvr (cctv) which is on my home network.
The thing came with very basic instructions of what to do, but these seemed to be a bad translation from chinese lol

The instructions said register the dvr's mac address at the manufacturers website. This I did. They then give you a user name which you enter into the menu page of the dvr using a pc running xp. This itself was a nightmare as I'm on vista. Anyway, I can't get it to work. I've forwarded the necessary ports etc, but nothing. I just get the usual no website found or whatever.
I've set up an account with no-ip.com with the idea that I could use this to forward to my ip at home. The dvr won't allow me to put any details in apart from relating to the manufacturers site.

I can access the dvr through my network using a bit of software that came with it. This side of things works fine.
What I'm wondering is (and the point of this rambleing thread lol) how can I access my dvr using some other means??

Would I have to leave a pc running with the dvr software on, then remote access to that pc, could I run and use that program remotely??

I hope this makes sense lol.

If anyone has any better ideas, please feel free, I'm a bit stuck as to which is the best direction to go in.

A bit more info to help.....

I have a no-ip account but only the free version.
I have my own web site so could possibly add a link from it?
The dvr is hard wired to the router

Thanks in advance guys

Curly
Do you mean you would like to connect to your LAN at home over the internet?

If so, it may be easier for you to turn your DVR setup into a webserver, and just treat it as any other website.

What is the make and model of your DVR?

I have an Avermedia EB1304 Net Sata+

Here is a link to the user manual.

If I were to connect to my lan via the internet, I'm not sure I'd be able to get the remote playback console.
I would get live views of my cameras though.
I suppose I'd need to remote access a pc with the remote console software on it??

@Karym, how would I use the dvr as a webserver m8 ??
Whole new area for me lol

Thanks for the replies guys.

Curly

Not a clue, Im thinking of the crap way round. Using something like tightvnc to connect to your pc, then to your dvdr. I did say crap!

Does your dvr s/w have any config setup ? There is something like this which possibly you might have something similar to

The link you posted is similar to what came with the thing, but I can't get it to work.

Curly

The manual mentions a web viewer. Have you tried this at all? Ideally, you would be using this from outwith your LAN to see what is going on. From having a brief look, it would seem you can use dynamic IP to get through to it.

How does that sound?

Thanks for having a read at the instruction book Karym :)

I did the thing on page 44 with the ddns.avers.com.tw
When I put the details and password in, it seems to accept it all.
When I go to the web page I'm supposed to, I get nothing?

Curly

football game, not so good :( started well but just cant do the finishing touches.

What did you enter as described in page 43, network setup. Looks like u need dhcp, and the domain name is what you setup as described in page 44/appendix a.

Looks like your doing things right

So the default port is 80 which is webcam. Are you able to specify other ports? (appendix b)

was having a look at page37. Dunno if that is summat you might need to do

This is the part that had to be done on a pc running xp
The install webcamX.cab locks up vista and has to be rebooted.
I set it up on an old xp machine and it opens a remote access to the dvr's settings menu.
I entered the details from the avers.com.tw site.

You have to register on that site using the mac address of the dvr.
I hoped that by entering the address from the avers.com.tw it would somehow route me through to my dvr via it's mac address??
At no point did I have to enter my ip address, so how else would it connect to me?

As for port 80, I can access my dvr internally over my network using port 80 and its internal ip (192.168 etc)

It doesn't say to forward port 80 on my router though, it says 2 different ports, which I assume are for controlling the dvr remotley (like rx/tx)
This I did after help from a different thread.

Thanks very much for the help so far guys.

Curly

think if you look at slingbox it will do what you wont and no need to leave ya pc on at all i use my sling all the time had my sky on all over the world hope this helps

Thanks for having a read at the instruction book Karym :)

I did the thing on page 44 with the ddns.avers.com.tw
When I put the details and password in, it seems to accept it all.
When I go to the web page I'm supposed to, I get nothing?

Curly
When you visit the URL of your system, do you get prompted to download a file at all?

When you visit the URL of your system, do you get prompted to download a file at all?

No m8, just this.

The requested URL could not be retrieved

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

While trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.********.avers.com.tw/

The following error was encountered:

Unable to determine IP address from host name for www.********.avers.com.tw
The dnsserver returned:

Name Error: The domain name does not exist.
This means that:

The cache was not able to resolve the hostname presented in the URL.
Check if the address is correct.

It's as if it doesnt exist ??

Curly

Right, the dynamic DNS service you are using - who has set it up?

I dont have the manual open right now, so I am going to ask a question; can you use any dynamic IP service?

Looks like the one you have is a bit guff right now.

Right, the dynamic DNS service you are using - who has set it up?

I dont have the manual open right now, so I am going to ask a question; can you use any dynamic IP service?

Looks like the one you have is a bit guff right now.

I think this is the area that is causing my problems Karym.
Thing is, ddns isn't my strong point lol
I followed the instructions in that manual.
I also forwarded 2 ports both udp and tcp or whatever it is lol
I didn't forward port 80 as it didn't ask for it.

Thing is I'm not 100% sure how it should all be set up. Those instructions in that manual arn't brill.

Curly

You are right, they are not great. Basically, on visiting the page you should be prompted to download a file, this is the viewer. But your dynamic IP service doesnt seem to be working.

So, get an account with DynDNS - they are free and are very good. You should be able to enter the details for this service inplace of your existing one.

when you set up your no-ip account you need to set up the ip to include the port which youve opened up for the device you want to see..

ie if it was a dreambox your no-ip account would point towards:

82.xxx.xx.124:8080 assuming port 8080 was the port your dreambox (or other device) was using and you had set up the port forwarding on your router accordingly.

if you only enter the ip without the port your dyndns wont work

You are right, they are not great. Basically, on visiting the page you should be prompted to download a file, this is the viewer. But your dynamic IP service doesnt seem to be working.

So, get an account with DynDNS - they are free and are very good. You should be able to enter the details for this service inplace of your existing one.

The problem I had with entering anything other than an xxx.avers.com.tw into the dvr was that it wouldn't accept it. It had to have "avers" in the address.

when you set up your no-ip account you need to set up the ip to include the port which youve opened up for the device you want to see..

ie if it was a dreambox your no-ip account would point towards:

82.xxx.xx.124:8080 assuming port 8080 was the port your dreambox (or other device) was using and you had set up the port forwarding on your router accordingly.

if you only enter the ip without the port your dyndns wont work

I didn't add the port, just my ip address.
I had to forward 4 ports on the router though. Would I have to include all of them, and if so, what do you separate them with when I type it in the no-ip account??
ie, 82.xx.xx.124:8080,5050,2020 ???

Thanks for all the help guys, think we might be getting somewhere :)

Curly

can you access the device over lan by typing its local IP into your browser m8?

AH right, I see now. Shame the software doesnt let you do this.

But, and now my knowledge gets sketchy as I havent done this in ages, you should only need to open the ports on your firewall and then forward them to the device on your network.

The DynDNS service wont really care what ports you have open, it just provides the URL.

Back