reason for bad post in general site news

Exactly where in this thread is dont do it it'll hurt shying away from work as stated in a previous post he needs a job. Surely when you have 4 kids what chance do you really have of working. Until you have brought up kids on your own you don't know the half of it. While you are at work someone is at home attending to the kids. Alan is a one parent guy he doesn't want to lose his kids through having to find work. Its not his fault he is on this wage he does not work the figures out. All he can do is give the relevant people all the details and then its out of his hands. Want to complain? blame the government and nobody else.
I haven't stated he should get a job.
I think he is doing the right thing bringing up his children if he is a single parent, especially with a 4 year old.
I'm just gobsmacked at how much is paid in benefits, I was really excited the last few weeks to break the £500 barrier, I got in from a 13 hour day (plus traveling) to find that the amount i'm getting excited about is not enough for someone whose circumstances stop them from working.
This thread is going way off thread (not unusual) it will get closed if the sillyness continues.

Look at everyone fighting amongst ourselves over 'benefit scroungers' 'immigrants' 'gays' 'insert whatever minority group you like' etc, while the real crooks are getting richer and richer via tax avoidance, privatising the NHS and various other dodgy schemes. Exactly what this government wanted.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

I have not called the op a benefit scrounger or moaned about immigrants, gays or any minority groups.

I am trying to say to the op that he is better off than many people who are working and trying to bring some perspective to his problems.

I admire that he is looking after his children on his own but what he see's as money problems would be being very comfortable from my point of view.

I have only ever cleared over £500 a week about 9 times in my whole life.

I am regularly made unemployed for months at a time and cannot claim a penny.

I own 2 houses the 1 I live in and 1 that I rent. I make £100 pw from the rental property but because the equity is more than £16,000 it is classed as savings I get nothing in benefits.

I could sell it and put the tenant on the street as when i'm unemployed it costs me money to have it but i'm an optimist and just tighten my belt, I also save from my wages for the lay off times.

I manage to save the rental income and some of my £342 basic wage for the bad times which are always just around the corner.

I see i'm getting lots of likes, if these are because they think I am slagging off the op then please unlike the posts as that is not what i'm doing. I'm just showing him that while he thinks he is hard up there are a lot of us a lot worse off than himself.

I haven't stated he should get a job.

I'm just gobsmacked at how much is paid in benefits, I was really excited the last few weeks to break the £500 barrier, I got in from a 13 hour day (plus traveling) to find that the amount i'm getting excited about is not enough for someone whose circumstances stop them from working.
This thread is going way off thread (not unusual) it will get closed if the sillyness continues.
i have to agree this thread is going way off topic it started as an explanation to my post in miggy's thread and and apology
my circumstances are not unique and for some trying to keep a job never mind get one in the first place is fecking hard, in my position it is nearly imposable but i keep trying

As DDIIH as stated he is not the only person in this situation. On my street 50% of the people living on it are on benefits and don't work. Some don't work and some won't work. That is the difference. I agree the amount of benefits the government give out in comparison to 'normal' wages are high, but that's not his or her fault. I guess unless the government stop paying benefits or completely change the way they pay we will always be in a situation like this.

£32760 pa, thats £8k more than me in full time employment, mortgage, kids & all the other bills, wtf?
Sorry my friend but i find it very hard to sympathise.

£15,600pa net

Aaw

But I live in North Yorkshire where it's cheap

Boo

'Cos there's no shops

Aaw

But all the kids have left home and the bills are low

Boo

I'm semi-retired and a bit of an old crock

Aaw

But I have a private pension and two houses

Boo, hiss

Numbers are just numbers...comparisons on numbers alone mean jack.

I have not called the op a benefit scrounger or moaned about immigrants, gays or any minority groups.

I am trying to say to the op that he is better off than many people who are working and trying to bring some perspective to his problems.

I admire that he is looking after his children on his own but what he see's as money problems would be being very comfortable from my point of view.

I own 2 houses the 1 I live in and 1 that I rent. I make £100 pw from the rental property but because the equity is more than £16,000 it is classed as savings I get nothing in benefits.

I could sell it and put the tenant on the street as when i'm unemployed it costs me money to have it but i'm an optimist and just tighten my belt, I also save from my wages for the lay off times.

I manage to save the rental income and some of my £342 basic wage for the bad times which are always just around the corner.

I see i'm getting lots of likes, if these are because they think I am slagging off the op then please unlike the posts as that is not what i'm doing. I'm just showing him that while he thinks he is hard up there are a lot of us a lot worse off than himself.

I am lucky if I get £250.00 per week out of that there is the council tax, the gas,water,leccy,and food. But do I whinge over it? no you get on with it for the simple reason nobody seems to give a shite. 2nd house? I will be happy in 20 years time when my mortgage is paid off on this one, in the meantime I/we just get on with life and sit back and watch that pillock Cameron ruin the Country.

It is a poor show for jobs at the moment, I personally have been out of work for 18 months, it is not down to lack of trying there is just nothing in my area, it sucks....

But there is always someone worse off than me....I am able to feed my kids, clothe them, and take them to the park when we want to go...

Everyone's situation is different, simple as that, there is no point in arguing who has what...we are all lucky to have what we do have, simple as that...

I wasn't getting at you in particular, it was aimed at everyone-we're all fighting over scraps when http://angusdeipolitico.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/expenses-sleaze-is-creeping-up-ladder.html?m=1this sort of shite is happening and nobody notices because they're all bickering with each other :(

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

While I'm on forget this BS about Cameron ruining the country, there isn't a single one, in any party, worth paying in rusty washers. Tory have the ball, LibDem are in cloud cuckoo land as per and Labour will just snipe until they get back in and find a new way to fook things up.

It's a whole lot easier, and more lucrative, to stamp on a few million little people than it is to deal with the big guns who can put up more of a fight.

It's not just the UK, the Eurozone hasn't got a bloody clue and the US are too busy rattling their sabres to give a toss.

Right, I'm off to fix summat before I get really mardy :)

I don't get child tax credits and never did, we used to get child benefit as do all parents but not child tax credits.

Ellie1998, you may not have got child tax credits but you would of had a tax allowance that took that into account, before the government balls up the system (how many cases of Tax Credits being messed up have you heard about - many of whom stop putting in for them after a foul up - me included).
I am 56 and have worked since I was 16 and in that time have had some really well paid jobs. However, my last job I worked 60 hours a week on minimum wage, I have health problems and which have worsened and I lost the job.
My situation and where I am now is slightly complex but in a nutshell I have lost my home and am now in emergency temporary housing (which we had no choice in selecting - but is costing £1260 a month for a 3 bed property - scandalous! The property had been occupied by gypsies who were evicted after a shotgun attack on the house before we were put in there and) with my wife and 2 of my teenage children.
In the year or so that I have been in this situation I have had to argue almost every single week with either the tax-man or the DWP or the council about benefits being stopped or changed. I am also having to go to Tribunal about the benefits after "ATOS Health Professionals" medicals have deemed me fit to work - in their words "the majority of the working day".
These are the people who have deemed people fit to work only days before they have died !!!!!
If I could go back tommorrow, even working 60 hours a week on minimum wage I would.
But I am not fit to do so, I now also suffer from depression from this situation and I hate it. And believe me I am not as well off as I was I was working, nor do I have the pride I had in myself.
If it had not been for my wife doing the basic things I cannot now do and caring and looking out for me I would have probably ended it all by now.

The OP gets £618 per week take home, not sure what you have to earn to take home that sort of money maybe around £900 odd before tax, what jobs pays that sort of money?...

Now I believe if most people were taking home £618 per week they would not be renting a house for £1000 a month they would need to find somewhere cheaper, I am sure you can find a nice house to rent for less money.

While I'm on forget this BS about Cameron ruining the country, there isn't a single one, in any party, worth paying in rusty washers. Tory have the ball, LibDem are in cloud cuckoo land as per and Labour will just snipe until they get back in and find a new way to fook things up.

It's a whole lot easier, and more lucrative, to stamp on a few million little people than it is to deal with the big guns who can put up more of a fight.

It's not just the UK, the Eurozone hasn't got a bloody clue and the US are too busy rattling their sabres to give a toss.

Right, I'm off to fix summat before I get really mardy :)

Can you start by fixing this broken Country H because at this present time all I can see is mass depression throughout the country and then eventually WW3.

The OP gets £618 per week take home, not sure what you have to earn to take home that sort of money maybe around £900 odd before tax, what jobs pays that sort of money?...

Now I believe if most people were taking home £618 per week they would not be renting a house for £1000 a month they would need to find somewhere cheaper, I am sure you can find a nice house to rent for less money.

it's about 40k per annum before tax at the standard tax code and (marginally) within the 40% tax bracket (works out about 6.5k per year excl. NI)

i.e you REALLY have to be pulling in the hours (50+ some weeks) to get paid that sort of money in the "non-benefit" world.

Edit: btw, the way i read your letter is that you need to find £118 as your capped at a maximum across all benefits of £500.

In terms of the actual discussion, circumstances aside as everyones is unique, but it's rather disgusting that I could be working a 14 hour day and be getting paid the same as someone that has most if not all of their living allowances handed to them. I have bills, kids etc the same as others. I just have to work for mine.

Last edited:
What is the government doing?

The government plans to introduce a cap on the maximum amount a household can claim in benefits from 2013. The cap is £26,000 a year, equivalent to £500 a week after tax (the average family wage) for people with children.

Why is it doing this?

It is part of the government's £81bn austerity programme of spending cuts and tax increases. Work and Pensions Secretary Iain Duncan Smith, says it will save the taxpayer about £600m.

The government argues that it is unfair that people who are not in work should receive more in benefits than the £35,000 a year before tax earned by an average family.

It says that working people can only live in homes they can afford, and it is wrong that people out of work should not have to make similar calculations when they are looking for a home to rent in the private or social sector.

What is wrong with that?

Critics say some people on benefits will not be able to afford to live in their homes any longer because housing benefit will not cover their rent in expensive parts of the country like London and the south east.

They say these people will be made homeless as a result. The suggestion is not that they will be thrown on to the street, but that they will have to be rehoused in temporary accommodation that could be more expensive than their current rent.

It is also argued that the £26,000 cap takes no account of how many children there are in a family.

In 2009-10 welfare expenditure increased by 45 per cent, the Government spent £192 billion on welfare payments, compared to £35 billion on defence, £50 billion on education, and £98 billion on health

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/eia-benefit-cap-wr2011.pdf

You will also probably find your in the lower 5% of the affected people (unfortunately), but on the whole the Governments plan was based upon what the people wanted to see in regards to reform.

Last edited:
DDiITH, hope things work out mate.
Regardless of your individual situation, there are always people better off and people who are worse off.
Look after the kids as best as you can and just keep trying. Try advertise for some odd computer jobs or them xbox jobs lol.

On another note, you guys should count yourself lucky you aint paying 350 quid a week on rent alone, then gas, electricity telephone broadband sky petrol etc etc etc lol. things will never get cheaper just more and more difficult. i thing im one of the lucky ones who has never had to claim any benefits in my life. but that is not to say that the people claiming are any worse. thats all it is, some of us have just had the rub of the green. Its difficult to get the one chance that could make or break your life. Advice to everyone is never give up and dont let each knockdown keep you down.
I see some people never done a days work in their lives with 9 kids driving brand new bmws and in big mansions every other day with my own eyes. but so what, moaning aint gonna get me any better off. peace out!!

PS: high maintenance women are the worse! lol

What is wrong with that?

Critics say some people on benefits will not be able to afford to live in their homes any longer because housing benefit will not cover their rent in expensive parts of the country like London and the south east.

They say these people will be made homeless as a result. The suggestion is not that they will be thrown on to the street, but that they will have to be rehoused in temporary accommodation that could be more expensive than their current rent.

It is also argued that the £26,000 cap takes no account of how many children there are in a family.

In 2009-10 welfare expenditure increased by 45 per cent, the Government spent £192 billion on welfare payments, compared to £35 billion on defence, £50 billion on education, and £98 billion on health

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/docs/eia-benefit-cap-wr2011.pdf

You will also probably find your in the lower 5% of the affected people (unfortunately), but on the whole the Governments plan was based upon what the people wanted to see in regards to reform.

Once again the simplistic rubbish trotted out by the government - hypothetical :- Family in a 4 bed property in London - social housing but rent of £800 per month - to save themselves from not being able to afford food to feed their children they are willing to move to a cheaper area for example a place where the same type of house is £400 per month - ideal ? Well yes except thats if its social housing and you havent got a chance of being housed unless you are declared homeless and go through the temporary accommodation thing first - and thats if a borough to which you have no ties will even accept you on their list!! Ok so what about private rented? Perhaps the rent will be £500-600 per month - still a nice £200-300 saving on London prices - we may be able to eat yet?? Ah sorry - dont forget the lovely reference fee that the local letting agent charges and then the months rent in advance and months rent as a deposit - so that will be approx £1100-1300 please!! And there it is Anyone on benefits isnt living the life of riley anyway and then when faced with the prospect of being even worse off they cant possibly do anything about it because as hard it would have been to try and save before they now have no chance - perhaps they could have economised by £10 per week previously to give the kids a weeks camping or a decent xmas but under the new austerity package they will be eating at the local soup kitchen rather before even thinking about anything else!!

As much as we all like to whinge its a fallacy that most people on benefits have a choice - it doesnt matter how many times stupid outside agencies like A4E try to say you are fit for work if you are able to sit on a chair for half hour and only need to attend hospital perhaps twice a week - when you explain that to an employer he/she will take the person with no issues over you any day!!

I do understand that on the face of things £500 sounds like a right result compared to minimum wage jobs but you are playing into the governments hands - they have got you upset against the most needy in society - and believe me - most are as they have never given benefits out without checks and balances - and they are encouraging you to play the martyr with your minimum wage jobs whereas you should be asking yourself why an MP deserves more than the security guard who protects them or the shop worker who serves them? I bet you dont have the added problem of sorting out the decorating at your tax payer provided second home?? What about the banker at RBS who earns fortunes and bonuses from a company that is state owned and still charges you £30 if you miscalculate on your bank account and go overdrawn for a day??

Back