Q&A, Recommendations For Rat's Bouquets

Im sure these boxes can have rss readers? So why not install rss script reader and just have like a news ticker people can check when updates are available?

thats another thing ive been looking at, an rss news ticker along the bottom of the infobar, but looking into how exactly they work ;)

Think it would be plugin that connects to any .xml feed you point it to. Not sure if you can intergrate it into the info bar because that would be skin dependent but the rss ticker will display whenever you enable the plugin.

Last edited by a moderator:
but if an end user is gpoing to start a plugin to read if theres an update, they may as well start the update plugin and check for an update ;)

what i want to create is something thats run once, when the box is first booted, and then when an update is available, it will inform the end user, who can then choose to update, or not, by simply pressing OK or Cancel on the remote

i have already created an automatically updating script, and it works well, but, it doesnt inform you that theres an update available, nor that it has actually updated and reloaded your channel list for you, but, it is fully automatic. You set it going once the receivers booted, and forget about it

To be honest and this is just me but im quite happy to keep checking on here for updates then just goto my box and use the plugin.

Dont see the need to constantly update channels daily unlike epg if anything suppose an auto script that does it once a week but still major bandwidth killer if no changes because it will still download and extrace even if no changes has been made in a month for an example.

I would like see attention being moved to another unique script / plugin as this is pretty bang on already.

the script i have written downloads 5 bytes of information once every 24 hours, this is how it checks if the list has been updated or not. If after downloading this 5 bytes (that i could get down to 2 bytes, but made it 5 bytes to future proof it ;)) it sees that it has changed, it then carries on with the full process of downloading, unpacking, installing and reloading.

If the 5 bytes tell it that nothing has changed, it goes back to sleep for 24 hours, before checking again, so really, it uses less bandwidth per month checking every day, than firing up an rss reader plugin would just to tell you once that no update is available :)

thats nothing lol didnt realise how little the download was.

Just to clarify, is the setting up done after the first install or after every reboot?

Secondly, is there any way to have the script done by remote rather than telnet? (Like the swap file.)

Just to clarify, is the setting up done after the first install or after every reboot?

I did try to add it to the bootup script that already exists, like the auto mounting of the swap file, but, as it has a 'sleep for 24 hour' command, the bootup of the receiver sees this, and hangs, but, while typing this reply, i just had a thought, and made a few notes for myself on a possible way around this

Secondly, is there any way to have the script done by remote rather than telnet? (Like the swap file.)

there is, but i just need how to work it out in full :)

What you like with python m8?

i think itd be easier for me to learn mandarin lol

I don't think you need any python... unless I misunderstood what you're trying to do.
I can write a shell script that:
1. sends a message to the TV ("Would you like to update the stuff? yes/no")
2. waits for user to choose yes or no
3. if yes, if executes some other script/commands

Would this work for what you want?

I don't think you need any python... unless I misunderstood what you're trying to do.
I can write a shell script that:
1. sends a message to the TV ("Would you like to update the stuff? yes/no")
2. waits for user to choose yes or no
3. if yes, if executes some other script/commands

Would this work for what you want?

i think its because im tunning it on the box, but in a terminal session that im getting issues, but its only #1 that im stuck with

Freq Change Update HERE :)

New Update Here

you guys used to it in its new home now ? if so Ill stop posting reminders in here, if not Ill carry on posting reminders. Im easy (so Im told) ;)

Rat could you have a look at the download page mate i cant seem to download the latest list.

Back