Private schools or FREE education - What do you think?

How does this work pks00? Aren't these the centres where kids go sit for 2 hours at a time and get drilled in maths/english?

How does this work pks00? Aren't these the centres where kids go sit for 2 hours at a time and get drilled in maths/english?

This is how it worked for my lad

Used to go on Tuesday and Friday to pick up worksheets. You get one for English and one for Maths and they give you a week's worth. So it was like Maths every Tuesday and English every Friday (all flexible, you can arrange with the local kumon coordinator).

You do (optionally) one worksheet in the centre, the rest you do at home. Worksheets are like questions, adding/takeaway for Maths and basic comprehension for English. Obviously gets more advanced as you move on.

The parents are expected to mark the worksheets, though you do get answerbooks if you need it. Marked worksheets are handed in, and these get marked again by the centre staff.

Basically done at home in a comfy environment, no pressure of exam conditions and aids bonding with parents due to parents having to be involved. Trust me though, if you havent got the patience, you can lose your rag, lol.

Average time to take is about 10-20 mins. They start you off one level lower than what you should be on because it helps them gain real confidence.
You need to time how long it takes them to complete a sheet and record that time on the worksheet. Over time they improve. Its about getting it all right, not doing it real quick as the latter part will eventually come naturally.

Do you think the Kumon system is working? Is it geared towards passing SAT's so sticks at the SAT syllabus?

This type of system needs at least one patient parent, since I am at work most of the time we couldn't use Kumon, the missus is a hot head who teaches with a slipper rather than love lol.

Do you think the Kumon system is working? Is it geared towards passing SAT's so sticks at the SAT syllabus?

This type of system needs at least one patient parent, since I am at work most of the time we couldn't use Kumon, the missus is a hot head who teaches with a slipper rather than love lol.

Same situation here, and sounds like my wife as well lol. But I believe it does work. It is not supposed to replace the classes in school but to add to them. My m8 sends both his boys to private school yet he is still doing Kumon after I told him about it. And so far he is happy with it.

You dont have to stick to it. If you feel it is not working then you can cancel. There is no minimum length of membership as such, just give a months notice.

Back