Private schools or FREE education - What do you think?

I thought I would update this thread as my daughter managed to get into the school of our choice. It really was a tough decision in deciding to send her to a private school. There were two options in the end, move to Richmond so that better state schools would be available or stay where we are and try and get her into one of the better schools in the country which is two miles from where I live.

The wife and I decided that we would chance everything on the local private school and put her name down for that only. If she didn't manage to pass the entrance exams then we would be looking for somewhere to live close to a great state school. There were two exams in total and a third informal interview. We decided the best approach would be not to tutor her but rather just help her with her existing homework whilst working on past SAT papers at the weekends. Other parents were tutoring their children for three hours a day after school with more tutoring at the weekends. I really didn't want to take this approach as I wanted my kid to play and fool around rather than have her head stuck in textbooks during her play years. Over tutoring a child creates textbook zombies IMO.

I don't know how she did it but she got in. Academically she is quite bright but her social and communication skills are excellent (unlike her dad). We have accepted the offer, I am so bloody happy!!!!! My parents are immigrants and I come from a working class background, hopefully my children will be now able to move up the social ladder or even end up at Oxford or Cambridge as many students from the small sixth form college went there last year.

There are some great points made in this thread, in fact it was a delight to read second time over. If anyone is considering sending their child to a private school this is a great thread to read.

Thank you seedy, hopefully there won't be too many ambassadors receptions to attend to where I make a dick of myself.
--

If anyone needs any info on the exams that she sat I'd be happy to help.

I must confess I have not read this entire thread; but my wife has. It seems there are varying view of private v state schools (from what my wife tells me).

I went to a private school that was partly funded by the Royal Navy as my father was in the services. The class sizes were relatively small compared to state schools and I came out at the end of it all with a good education. However, that is not to say I would not have got a good education from a state school; I just don't know because I was not educated in a state school.

However, although I had a good education the one thing I did miss out on was social education. It has taken me many years to get "street wise" and socially active. This is a trait I have seen in others who were also privately educated.

As for the mixture of race etc.; because I went to school more years ago than I would care to share (lol) I do not think my experience would be an accurate reflection of the case today. That said, the population of my boarding school was predominatly white christians, although there were a few black people who joined the school in my latter years.

The one aspect I did not like was having to board at school. It meant I could not make many friends either at school or at home. This was because I was hardly ever at home to go out with friends etc. and the friends I had at school lived many miles away and I do not now keep in touch. In any event, the school kept you so busy with various activites that you did not have much time to yourself to chill out with you friends in which friendships might have been formed, bonded, gelled whatever word you want to use.

Another aspect behind boarding is bullying. I experienced and observed much bullying when I was at school, as there is in many school including state. However, where in a state school you can take yourself out of that situation when you go home and talk to your parents about it; in a boarding school you cannot and the bullys are there 24-7 so you cannot escape it.

The one contraversal point I would make is that those who can afford to send their kids to private school should. The reason being is apart from provided their kids with a better education it also eases the pressure on state schools therefore potentially bettering other kids education.

At the end of the day it can depend on the child. You might have a child in a private education who is either unwilling or unable to learn. The outcome would be a child who has been given the best opportunity for a good education but wasted it.

On the other hand, you might have a child from a poorer background being state educated who wants to work their way out of the backup from which they come. The outcome in this circumstance would be a child who has taken the best from what their offered and is also socially mature.

The bottom line is education whether private or state provides children with choices as adults. If a child understands this and is determined enough to have as many choices as they can then a state education will not hold them back.

Enticy

My personal opinion

Private school at a primary school level is beneficial as kids learn more as I think it helps prepare them more for secondary schools. It will give them that edge over the other kids. I wanted to send my kids but my wife doesnt drive, still refuses to and I work, away from home sometimes so it was not feasible.

Regarding secondary schools, maybe more activities for kids to do in private schools and more of a variety in terms of classes, definitely an advantage being there for those who study hard

but if a child is not interested in learning, or is but just doesnt quite have the brains, then regardless of where you send them, state or private, the end result will be the same.

What is more important is the parent sitting down with kids at an early stage. If you sit down with them and teach, then that I believe, is as beneficial as being at school.

Saying that, Im happy to send to a secondary state school but you would want to send them to a decent one. Im not a christian but the best state schools Ive seen in my town has been the christian schools.

the member english isn't strictly knocking a private education, he's merely saying it's elitist and a good education should be available to all.

gota agree here. I can see the benefits of a "private" education. I can also see the benefits of "private" healthcare. but why the hell should, your parents being rich/richer, give you anything more than those less lucky? everyone who has "money" has made it on the back of those who earn less.

if you feel your money somehow, should, give you access to better things than the less fortunate,. fine, opt out, and send your kids to a private school. but if you opt out, i would suggest, that you pay for everything , involved, in your kids education. and all state help should be removed from these institutions.
same goes for health cars, if you want private care, from that point on ALL your health care needs should be paid by you.
Cherry picking the BEST, because you have money is fine. but you should have no access to "public" funded institutions from then on.

you have the choice, make it. but it should be one or the other, not a mix of both.

if going to private school makes it more likely you will go on to uni. and then on to something like working in the city, cool. but the problems of the last year or so, are down to these people in the city. it does not look like their "expensive" education, gave them much more than GREED and a total disregard for anyone else. do we really want a country peopled by this type?

My daughter goes to private school has done since she was 5
I don't work my wife does so only one wage and we are far from rich, we go without loads to pay the school fees.
We also have Bupa the company my wife works for offers this, she pays extra tax every month because it's classed as a gift, she also pays the same NI as a person who does not have private medical insurance, so why should we not use both we are paying for both.
In a recent poll in the East Midlands 96% of those polled would send there kids to private school if they could afford it.
You made to right choice Munkey state schools are fooking siht so is the NHS.
I came from a council house background in that siht hole they call the Isle of Sheppey Kent
would I go back NEVER full of retards and dysfunctional families, not all but enough.
Private all the way for me

Congrats!

Private all the way if you can afford it, every lawyer, banker, trader, working in the top positions I have ever met all went to private schools.

I'm not saying you can't do well if you go to public but from my experience getting to the top is a lot harder if you didn't ( for this professions anyway)

As for the mixture of race etc.; because I went to school more years ago than I would care to share (lol) I do not think my experience would be an accurate reflection of the case today. That said, the population of my boarding school was predominatly white christians, although there were a few black people who joined the school in my latter years.

Thanks for your comments. I would like to further expand on race in the state school sector. As I said in my original post the only state schools that are available to me locally are full of Asian kids (95%). The religious Catholic schools are full of white and black kids. The private schools are a even mix of all races and cultures. I really would like for my child to grow up in a mixed environment and private schools offer this.

but if a child is not interested in learning, or is but just doesnt quite have the brains, then regardless of where you send them, state or private, the end result will be the same.

If she didn't have the ability I wouldn't be throwing my money away mate, I'd home school her lol.

TBH I would still send her but the chances are she would never get in. There is a 1 in 3 or 4 chance that you get in.

you have the choice, make it. but it should be one or the other, not a mix of both.

if going to private school makes it more likely you will go on to uni. and then on to something like working in the city, cool. but the problems of the last year or so, are down to these people in the city. it does not look like their "expensive" education, gave them much more than GREED and a total disregard for anyone else. do we really want a country peopled by this type?

I pay my taxes so I am entitled to heath care and schooling. I have already paid for these services through the extortionate taxes levied upon UK companies. If I want to use these sometimes crappy services I have the option.

The problems of the city have nothing to do with private school education, in fact I don't see the connection at all.

Congrats!

Private all the way if you can afford it, every lawyer, banker, trader, working in the top positions I have ever met all went to private schools.

I'm not saying you can't do well if you go to public but from my experience getting to the top is a lot harder if you didn't ( for this professions anyway)

Thanks mate.

As much as I would like to disagree with the point that you have made it is unfortunately true. Industries leaders usually have a very privileged education and are usually from a public school background.

----

10 years of this Labour government and I am surprised that anyone would trust their child's future with these muppets. If you have the option to opt out, I'm certain most people would.

Well done to little munkey!

My girl is in year7 at her new private secondary school.

Parent evening went brill last month. She loves it.

We won't be having any big holidays for the next 7 years, but she is worth it.

Again mate, well done!

Thanks mozr, glad to hear that your little'un is doing well at school. I hope that you're not making her read dictionaries like your dad made you.

It's tough on the finances, very few holidays, almost every night spent indoors, no more buying dvd's etc but it will be worth it if they go on and become well rounded individuals with balanced view on life.

My dad spent all day gambling, so my surrogate was the OED ;)

Days out instead of weeks abroad is the ticket,

and Newzbin instead of HMV. :)

I forgot to mention yesterday my children go to very good catholic state school which iis full of this and that and the other. In fact my father-in-law calls it the united nations school - lol. As for being in the right job etc. I am a lawyer earning less than probably most here believe it or not. I don't know about doctors but lawyers can earn well but not always. The killer is professional indemnity insurance which is something like £30K a year per fee earner.

Therefore, in a nut shell not all lawyers could afford private school.

Enticy

are full of black and white kids. (asians not allowed even if they live on the doorstep of the school.

I went to a Catholic School and we had Muslims and even (God forbid) PROTESTANTS! lol ;)

Seriously though, there were twins in my year who were Muslim, they did everything that we did except they were excused from any Catholic mass services that we may have had to attend.

There was a Chinese girl too, though I'm not sure what religion she was.

BTW, congrats to your daughter. :)

Thank you witchy.

I don't think I've ever seen any non Catholics in any of the religious schools where I live, in fact I'm pretty certain the chances are zero. As soon as the vicar asked me who my local priest was and if he would be willing to write me a reference I was found out. The fact that my old man was wearing his luminous orange turban really didn't help conceal the truth...

I really am surprised that two members now share the same experience with Catholic schools.

I thought I would update this thread as my daughter managed to get into the school of our choice. It really was a tough decision in deciding to send her to a private school. There were two options in the end, move to Richmond so that better state schools would be available or stay where we are and try and get her into one of the better schools in the country which is two miles from where I live.

The wife and I decided that we would chance everything on the local private school and put her name down for that only. If she didn't manage to pass the entrance exams then we would be looking for somewhere to live close to a great state school. There were two exams in total and a third informal interview. We decided the best approach would be not to tutor her but rather just help her with her existing homework whilst working on past SAT papers at the weekends. Other parents were tutoring their children for three hours a day after school with more tutoring at the weekends. I really didn't want to take this approach as I wanted my kid to play and fool around rather than have her head stuck in textbooks during her play years. Over tutoring a child creates textbook zombies IMO.

I don't know how she did it but she got in. Academically she is quite bright but her social and communication skills are excellent (unlike her dad). We have accepted the offer, I am so bloody happy!!!!! My parents are immigrants and I come from a working class background, hopefully my children will be now able to move up the social ladder or even end up at Oxford or Cambridge as many students from the small sixth form college went there last year.

There are some great points made in this thread, in fact it was a delight to read second time over. If anyone is considering sending their child to a private school this is a great thread to read.

lol, just read this now, somehow missed it when I first went thru the thread.

I think the approach you took in helping your daughter was the right one. Kids get annoyed really quick if you keep giving them work. 3 hours a day is way too much I reckon. They are more likely to get burnt out quickly.

By the way, congrats on your daughter getting in. And did she like her new bedroom furniture you got from Argos?

Both my kids went to private school initially. Son has Aspergers syndrome, missed by two private schools. Daughter now in state grammar school supposed to be top where we live. Son in local Catholic comp with full support.

After shit load of money thrown private way, my experience is it is totally dependent upon teachers ability. Comp's teachers collectively better then grammar school. Eg. after three years in grammar school dickhead ART teacher still didn't know daughters name.

To get a good measure of any school, check out the teachers, ask them questions. Find out when parent /teachers night is on for year 7's, sneak in and ask the parents if the school is any good. Use their experience to check out the school's and teachers performance.

Munkey, if you still got the budget, have a look at Kumon. I put my lad in there, both maths and english then dropped maths as it was something that can be done at home. English is very good, improves comprehension a lot.

Tis about £45 a month for one lesson (£80 or £85 for two if I remember rightly). Its basically drilling, you get worksheets everyday, about 10-20mins worth of work. It is timed though that is used as a measure of performance, not as test conditions. You do it at home, and go to the centre once or twice a week. Parents do the initial marking.

If it wasnt for my job and my wife's reluctance to drive then I would be sending my daughter now.

Both my kids went to private school initially. Son has Aspergers syndrome, missed by two private schools. Daughter now in state grammar school supposed to be top where we live. Son in local Catholic comp with full support.

After shit load of money thrown private way, my experience is it is totally dependent upon teachers ability. Comp's teachers collectively better then grammar school. Eg. after three years in grammar school dickhead ART teacher still didn't know daughters name.

To get a good measure of any school, check out the teachers, ask them questions. Find out when parent /teachers night is on for year 7's, sneak in and ask the parents if the school is any good. Use their experience to check out the school's and teachers performance.

Glad to hear that your son is getting better support now mate. I have an autistic nephew and getting any kind of care from the local authority can prove to be very difficult at the best of times.

I did some research into the teachers before I signed up, the head teacher of the prep school is a former deputy head at Kings Canterbury so that put my mind at ease.

Munkey, if you still got the budget, have a look at Kumon. I put my lad in there, both maths and english then dropped maths as it was something that can be done at home. English is very good, improves comprehension a lot.

We checked these Kumon centres out as we have friends who send their children there. I think they are great but as veps mentioned above the quality of the teachers really does vary. make sure that you know what the teachers are like as some are very ordinary for the monies paid.

I think this area of education will likely do well in the coming decade as more parents decide to get their child's education 'topped' up.

With Kumon there is no real concept of teachers as kids get just worksheets and work at their own pace. As I said its drilling. I definitely recommend the English classes. Maths is good as well but this can be done at home a lot easier than the English lessons.

Back