Prisoners to be released early

Rat

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
The Government has drawn up plans to release hundreds of criminals from jail early.

About 550 non-violent and non-sexual offenders will be automatically freed halfway through their sentences, instead of having to wait until the two-thirds point.

The Ministry of Justice (MoJ) indicated that after the initial batch were freed over 14 months, there could be further releases under the same measures.

Jails in England and Wales have been instructed to let out eligible offenders from June 9, and were warned by Prison Service HQ that failing to do so would amount to "unlawful detention".

Former Lord Chief Justice Lord Woolf warned of a summer of "small scale rioting" due to overcrowding in an interview with the Daily Telegraph. He says tensions could be exacerbated by hot weather.

He told the newspaper: "The present situation is extremely worrying. I don't think prisons will blow up tomorrow or next week but there is certainly a danger of that."

Shadow justice secretary Nick Herbert described such early release schemes as "underhand", although the MoJ pointed out the plans went through Parliament unopposed.

Tory Mr Herbert said: "Releasing prisoners early when they have only served half of their sentence undermines trust in the criminal justice system, even more so when the Government has introduced such underhand measures because it has failed to provide adequate prisons capacity.

"Punishments should fit the crime and there should be honesty in sentencing so that every offender serves a minimum sentence handed down in court."

Justice Secretary Jack Straw's plan is expected to free urgently-required space in overcrowded jails, as inmate numbers reach a record 83,000 in England and Wales. The early release plan equalises the arrangements for offenders sentenced under the 1991 Criminal Justice Act with those punished under Labour's 2003 Criminal Justice Act 2003, which came into force in April 2005.

make what you will of it do the crime do less time ?

hmm not sure how to take that.

Good in the respect that prisons are overcrowded, but as long as they let the right half out.

Last edited:
where did this report come from? I cant see it on the BBC news site, nor can I find it on the Sky News site. I also had a look at the ministry of Justice website for its news and it isnt there either.

Ahh, I have just found it now - it wasnt front page (yet?): http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/7422737.stm

However, it looks like you might have not quoted the entire report there? Granted, the whole thing looks to be a complete waste of time and money invested in the courts over the last 17 years, but there is much more to the story than simply releasing prisoners early.

I got it from yahoo news,and that was the whole story

this is an easy one to sort out, even i can manage this one

deport every immigrant that we have locked up here, who cares what happens to them when they get back to wherever, its not our problem if they killed someone in another country, why should we protect them after theyve broken our laws as well?

execute all the rapists and peados, they are scum and wont be missed, their body parts could then be used to take the strain off the NHS transplant waiting lists

all the junkies, leave them with nothing, no methadone treatment, no nothing, if they die from shock of detox, ahh well, never mind

the ones who are left, take away EVERYTHING, prison is a punishment, not a holiday. people inside have an easier life than most of us on the outside, turn that around.

prisons should be a 'human rights free zone' they are full of people who have no regards for the rights of others

fcuking early release, what bull sh1t

digidue totally agree with what should be done with the scum in prisons apart from using paedo and rapists parts for transplants. not sure if i would want something in my body from scum like that. they should be made to suffer a lot more rather than just execution, castration with no pain relief would be my prefered choice and then exceute them.

another thing to thank New labour for!!!

this is an easy one to sort out, even i can manage this one

deport every immigrant that we have locked up here, who cares what happens to them when they get back to wherever, its not our problem if they killed someone in another country, why should we protect them after theyve broken our laws as well?

execute all the rapists and peados, they are scum and wont be missed, their body parts could then be used to take the strain off the NHS transplant waiting lists

all the junkies, leave them with nothing, no methadone treatment, no nothing, if they die from shock of detox, ahh well, never mind

the ones who are left, take away EVERYTHING, prison is a punishment, not a holiday. people inside have an easier life than most of us on the outside, turn that around.

prisons should be a 'human rights free zone' they are full of people who have no regards for the rights of others

fcuking early release, what bull sh1t
i do agree totally ,dont let them out .small offences should not be sent to jail

Well thats a fair comment as they seek to live here in fear of being victims of crime in thier countries so yes I think deportation is the best option, however it should depend on the crime as sometimes we try to protect ourselves but end up getting locked up!!

Well thats a fair comment as they seek to live here in fear of being victims of crime in thier countries so yes I think deportation is the best option, however it should depend on the crime as sometimes we try to protect ourselves but end up getting locked up!!

yes m8, if someone attacks you and in a struggle they bang their heads on the floor (not 37 times though) and die then that is different, but when theyre over here, carrying weapons, running brothels and people smuggling rings, telling others to blow us all up, robbing shops and houses etc then id happily march them to the white cliffs of dover and throw them at france myself m8

fair enough to people wanting to move on and make themselfs a better life, one day in the future ill do it myself, but to move on and take your criminal elements with you is not on for your host country

Back