overgrown trees

now you know what it feels like!!!

Mon the trees ( in true chewin the fat styleeee)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

With Brown tail Moth damage and Dutch Elm disease on the Increase again, who needs salt?

but then stewart says the gritters dont kill the roadside trees because salt doesnt kill all trees, you dont have to drill into trees for salt to get into the xylem or phleum of the tree

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i was explaining how to kill a tree not how to protect a tree, c'mon gav your smarter than this ffs

the op was saying if salt kills trees then why dont gritters kill them so.................. **** it i cant be arsed to explain if people cant be arsed to read post properly

when do gritters chop the tree down, drill a hole in the stump and fill with salt??? thats why the gritters dont kill the trees!!!!!!!!

The gritter dont need to chop the tree down lol what I was saying is even if the gritter dumped half a ton of salt at the foot of the tree it probably wouldn't die because it is a lot of pish that you can kill trees with salt, its obvious that Gav and Stihl have been to horti college too and understand the difference between biology and auld wifes tales (Sottish for you've been fed a lot of pish)

to kill em em you need to chop em down and drill the stump and fill with with salt!!! but do get permission if there not on your land as you can get prosecuted!!!

The point I tried to make was salt does not kill trees unless there is tons of it, you need to use SBK and if you do use SBK 6 months later someone else will cut it down for you and take all the crap away

job done

i think you would need to use quite a lot of salt to poison the earth to the degree where you would kill a tree, but if you used enough salt for long enough, yes you would kill anything.

Exactly what I tried to say to start with. If a shovel of salt killed a mature tree every tree next to a main road would be dead with the amount of salt landing next to it from the gritters lol

The point I tried to make was salt does not kill trees unless there is tons of it, you need to use SBK and if you do use SBK 6 months later someone else will cut it down for you and take all the crap away

job done

yeah you missed the point, i didnt miss the point, i got the point but have tried explaining my point several times but nm you just read what ya want

i think you would need to use quite a lot of salt to poison the earth to the degree where you would kill a tree, but if you used enough salt for long enough, yes you would kill anything.

How To Kill A Tree: Killing Trees In Your Garden

Most of what is written there is complete and utter tosh, i say most not all .
Kiliing a tree by painting neat roundup on the leaves (does not work on trees), it not strong enough!

Anyone with a Spray ticket (yes i have) , will tell you that making the solution stronger, does not make herbicide more effective.

Some bloke spent thousands of hours in a lab testing the stuff to the correct most effective dosage rate, but oh no, lets put in on neat and it will do the same job,lol.

You need to use specific chemicals designed to target tree regrowth, such as certain brands of Stump killer.

Trust me Trees are my field of expertise, as most on here know and that link is just a load of dribble.

Exactly what I tried to say to start with. If a shovel of salt killed a mature tree every tree next to a main road would be dead with the amount of salt landing next to it from the gritters lol

Im gonna state the obviouse by anyone with an Arb background, me included and that trees are dormant in the winter, therfore the road salt from gritters will no ill effect on them whatsoever.

Salt will kill most things in large enough doses, but trust me to kill a decent size tree it would not be cost effective.

Proper stump killer would be more effective.

If you really want a near guaranteed method then simply remove a girth of bark all the way round the tree and score the outer flesh and let nature take it course resulting in the death of nearly all trees using this method.

If you really want a near guaranteed method then simply remove a girth of bark all the way round the tree and score the outer flesh and let nature take it course resulting in the death of nearly all trees using this method.

Ahh the cut the Phloem trick, no water or nutrients and guaranteed death have seen that loads of times in tree belts when some untrained fool is let loose with a strimmer lol

when you put raw roundup pro down it certainley does the trick stihl260 lol

i wouldnt reccomend it...especially when it starts to eat through yer steel toe caps lol

certainley kills all vegetation lol

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

when you put raw roundup pro down it certainley does the trick stihl260 lol

i wouldnt reccomend it...especially when it starts to eat through yer steel toe caps lol

certainley kills all vegetation lol

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Roundup Pro is what me and you use Gav, not Jo public mate.
Yep its good stuff, works better if you add rape oil to act as a wetter agent.
Sticks to the leaves better.

to kill em em you need to chop em down and drill the stump and fill with with salt!!! but do get permission if there not on your land as you can get prosecuted!!!

right...

you say here that you need to chop the tree down, drill into it and fill it with salt

1. Not all trees can be killed with salt
2. salt can get into a tree without cutting into it at all
3.a gritter could run up and down flinging salt at the trees all day long and it wouldnt make a difference
4.trees are dormant in the winter, so they wouldnt take it in in the winter, fling salt at them in the summer and it'll take it in when they gather in nutrients from the soil but still wouldnt make a blind bit of difference

i still fail to see what your getting at mate

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Roundup Pro is what me and you use Gav, not Jo public mate.
Yep its good stuff, works better if you add rape oil to act as a wetter agent.
Sticks to the leaves better.

i know mate, i think this stuff was that old .....it winked at me lol

WARNING

if any non-qualified person ever gets the chance to use this stuff....DONT

its one of the most lethal chemicals used in the Greenkeeping/Agricultural trade

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

i know mate, i think this stuff was that old .....it winked at me lol

WARNING

if any non-qualified person ever gets the chance to use this stuff....DONT

its one of the most lethal chemicals used in the Greenkeeping/Agricultural trade

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Hey, still got two fullboxes of Caseron G in my garage, the ueronuts banned it March this year,lol

i need some of that stuff!

its like bloody goldust up here!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Now that's a strong bloody bugger!!

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back