old hacks you used to do.....

The best i got was a bt payphone you would put your ten pence in make a call when you put reciever down the mon ey would drop if you timed it right and bashed above the buttons your ten pence would fall back out

The best i got was a bt payphone you would put your ten pence in make a call when you put reciever down the mon ey would drop if you timed it right and bashed above the buttons your ten pence would fall back out

we had one near us that did that as well!

Mega old post @GavinP,but hey enjoyed reading through it lol

Last edited by a moderator:
I was reading it too :).

Is there anything interesting to do any more?
glad this old thread was kicked up also.
For or those who live in Northern Ireland will know.
(Maybe other places)

I will say no more than the picture below.
Still going on too. LOL!!!
it has been briefly mentioned in this thread.
(never heard of "neodymium" until a few years ago)

Attachments

• IMG_3634.JPG
    IMG_3634.JPG
    13.1 KB · Views: 80
glad this old thread was kicked up also.
For or those who live in Northern Ireland will know.
(Maybe other places)

I will say no more than the picture below.
Still going on too. LOL!!!
it has been briefly mentioned in this thread.
(never heard of "neodymium" until a few years ago)

oh come on do tell!

and sorry its a old thread, i didnt realise i googled some thing and this came up!

What a great thread!!

This one maybe not as old as some of the hacks, although i do remember the old 141 trick to get your money back out the old BT payphones.

Before wireless routers were shipped with default security, most people would just leave them open. So when Telewest moved to a subnet I used to go up and down streets on another node with the kids PSP tapping into routers and once connected then connecting to 192.168.100.1 and steal the MAC for cloning their modem :) happy days.

There a few posts about your energy hacks. I still know someone who does electric and gas meters in stealth so even a check from suppliers dont see it. £100 a meter isnt bad . Its all about not being too greedy ;)

- - - Updated - - -

fantastic hacks in this thread! really loving some of the ideas!

would love to have a fiddle with our leccy meter !

It still lives on although im sure i posted years ago about it and was shot down with all the moral political correct community....but that is another story.

2/3 for the price of 1 drink machines.

Certain drink machines can be easily hacked and get you 2 or 3 drinks depending on the size of the bottle for the price of one.

STEPS
  1. order the most expensive drink you want.
  2. before the drink comes out the green slot hold the door/flap inside the green slot. keep holding it until you change is refunded.
  3. now order another drink.
  4. before the drink comes out the green slot hold the door/flap inside the green slot again until the 2 drinks are right up againist each other and the first is touching the flap.
  5. leave the flap go.
  6. take the first drink out as quick as possible so the other has time to come out.

it can only be done with the machine below. be warned you can block the flap and no one will be able to get a drink from the machine.

coke-machine.jpg

"The Wire"

I was one of the first to jump on this back in the mid/late 70's. I was in my teens and I use to hang round the local amusement arcades in the town centre when I heard the £1 jackpot (i know) on a bandit go about 4 times on the trot so I went across and there was 4 scousers there.
Me and a m8 followed them and asked them to show us so they said we'll go in another and you decoy the guy and if you do we'll show you. So they jumped on a bandit and we made out our money had gone straight though a Space Invader game so the owner was busy, in this time they emptied the bandit.
The trick was, you stuffed a bent wire down the slot and hit a small lever that released money. I spent the next 12 months touring every amusement arcade I could find even travelling up to Scotland and down south across the south coast then training it back up. Three of us on a v.g. day would make well over £100 each per day. One day in Scarborough we must have done £1000 on a day
I wore the best clobber around Diamond Pringles and Lacoste this Lacoste that, Lois jeans, grand slam/forest hills and the obligatory belcher chain. I seem to remember going to a sports shop in Halifax that was so far ahead of it's times it was unreal for the latest sportswear, stuff you couldn't get anywhere else.
For 12 months I lived like a king and me and my m8's often reminisce about those times. My m8 had a photo album but he got raided for football violence years back and it got confiscated That I would love to see if only for the wedge haircuts and the clothes :)
the days hey

One we use to do was get a bottle jack and a piece of old sleeper cut to size,put them under the cash box in pay phones,jack it up bingo cash box comes off. Angle grinder to open @ home.

One post that was brought back to life I enjoyed reading again!

The forum was started because because Thoic was dodgy, and I taught myself html and made a page about DIGA BT modifications (old mobile phones trick).

Mick

Great old thread, thx for reviving! And, although not 'guilty' of many of them, I have seen a good few of these hacks in use.
A couple of old 2p/10p payphones near my school accepted an old ha'penny in the 2p slot- one even gave the coin back! And those coins were more than 2 a penny- everyone had abox of them somewhere.
The BT PAYG hack was a great one too. A (Colombian) friend hammered his with calls 'home' until BT sussed & cut off the number. He gave me the 'dead' phone & it was a simple case of transplanting the PIC to another phone- they were only about 20 quid IIRC.
Before that, Radio Spares part no. 207-554 was a very handy 'starting point' for another well-used hack in our parts.
I heard a story of a gent in Musselburgh who had cleverly rigged his leccy meter to only run when the cupboard door was open- so it didn't look suspicious when the man came to read the meter. How did he get caught? Blabbing in the pub!
A friend who let out rooms to students was less than pleased when he asked me to investigate why one particular student's room had very little money in the electric 'shilling' meter- turns out the clever sod had simply put a bayonet plug onto the electric fire and ran it off the lighting circuit. He'd even had the courtesy to uprate the fuse in the consumer unit! The insurance company would have had a field day if that lot had gone up!

Oh and Hamburg 1986,
Went there and was told before hand , "Get these elastic bands and put them on the 5p, it works as 1 deutschmark equivalent at the time to 30p so 5 times your money.

Very handy in the all the booths and change machines up and down the reeperbahn.

On the subject of lecky meters, I lived in a flat in my mid 20's and this guy was selling boxes that stopped or span your meter back. I buys one it has to wires live neutral and an earth and you basically crocodile clipped to the earth of the meter and with the two hammered flat thick copper you stuck them actually up the meter touching the wires.
So one night I puts all the heating on dry clothes and went out on the lash but when I come back in I checked the meter and it was whizzing round like the clappers. I looked and the wire was hanging down. P!ssed, I grabs it by the plastic cover pushes it up but my hand slipped up the plastic and touched the wire. There was a loud bang and I woke up 4 ft across the room with a dint in the wall were my head hit.
I took it out and decided to drill the meter with a fine drill as my meter was read from the outside via a mirror.
After about 6 months I gets a letter saying were coming to change the old meters out , I thought , I'm fooked , once they see the hole i'll be straight in court. So the knock on the door comes and low and be hold, Norweb had sent probably the only electrician I knew, a good m8 I went school with who I hadn't seen for a few years. I grabbed him and hugged him, he's like, "Get off you g!y fooker :), I've come to change your meter out, not fookin sleep with you !".
He said, if it were anyone else you'd be knackered as they were under strict orders to dob in anyone and were on a back hander bonus if they did.

still do the gas meter to this day the old drill bit on lecky meter was a popular choice way back lol

Me Dad use to put the gas meter up on a stool on its back, that use to stop it

just turn it 180 runs backwards or remove it wind it back with the hoover pmsl very easy fix

an old hack we used to do in our street gave us all the crabs

One post that was brought back to life I enjoyed reading again!

The forum was started because because Thoic was dodgy, and I taught myself html and made a page about DIGA BT modifications (old mobile phones trick).

Mick

Came on a wee bit since then mate ;)

Back