old hacks you used to do.....

i remember the old bt analogue payphones when the code was *99
use to put a pound coin and a 20p coin in then before the credit went below 20p press *99 and your money came back out

and the key electric meters using a lighter electric clicker used to reset the meter back to before you put the key in then put the key back in to get your credit topped up then let money run down then do it again

but im lucky i just moved into a place thast still got an old credit spining meter
cant wait to see how cheap my elcy bill is going to be living here

and the outrun game down the arcade had two coin slots used to put a 20p in one and a 10p in the other and used to give 4 credits

not really a hack
but the best thing i ever did was in school was had a win95 boot disc powered of the tuters comp put the disc in and deleted his partion with fdisk done it 3 times almost got caught the last time i really didn't like him

the earliest hack i can remember was the early cable system in basildon - if memory serves it was called redefusion or something like that. back in the day there were sky tv channel (a sky 1) and premier channel (later changed its name to sky movies). the system had a switch on the wall that went from a-k (i think). anyways we managed to get sky and premier channel for years and years for a £5 piece of hardware. i later opened it up and it was just a bunch of resitors and capacitors with a very basic chip.
i cant remember how much this used to cost to sub to but i do remember there was a lot more to watch back then. best bargain tbh and gave us years of entertainment.

Man I feel like a kid reading all these hacks I missed out on.

My earliest hack was on the SNES, Lamborghini American Challenge. Would go into Career, go to the american flag and press a button repeatedly until our credit got bumped up. Then would save the game, write down the savegame password. Reset the console and do it again to keep increasing our credit.

Cousins flats had Buzz entry system with keyfob entry. The secret codes to open the door without keyfobs used to get around the estate and we were all running amock through the flats. Codes used to change, but somehow word got around about the latest numbers!

How shite is was my past? lol

I used Microsoft Packager (Windows 3.1) to package command.com into a Microsoft Word file. Then took it into college on a 3.5" floppy and ran it. BINGO! ... Instant access to their entire network. The tutor said he had never seen a command prompt running on the network. I think he was quite impressed :)

mines was prob the original playstation... using the blutac method making it think the lid was shut then swap in a copied game after the playstation logo appeared on screen :)

i thought i was the beez kneez :)

Last edited:
mines was prob the original playstation... using the blutac method making it think the lid was shut then swap in a copied game after the playstation logo appeared on screen :)

i thought i was the beez kneez :)
Forgot about that one. Yeah good times mate...

also vagely remember years ago about getting all the tv channels with a 'black box' which attatched onto the tv receiver of i think was either sky or telwest.

anyone1 remember this?

It was called a Cube and worked on all the old jerrold cable boxes.

I remember putting my willy on an electric fence.

I liked it.

I had the box on the a-z rediffusion box, sky1 was free roland rat for the kids and music video's for me, films soon lost their fascination as repeat, repeat, repeat.

then it was the voyager card for sky then the engineers box for the jerrold box, then went to dbox2 and then a dm500-c

I have a dm500-s for freeview and pay xl package with a v+ box so no hacks here now :( .

Shaking a vending machine to release any loose crisps/chocolates

Kicking the money sliding machine and getting some loose change!

HAHA man i'm telling you my past woz cr@p!!

the first hack what i done was about ten years old me parents
took me on holiday to morecambe,anyway in this flat there,they was
a gas meter with a padlock on the cash box the nite before when was
leaving the next day,i picked the lock got about a fiver in ten bobs coins
(50p pieces) then went in the amusement arcade then a chippy supper
on way home

Another hack i remembered is the mobile phone messaging service centre number. Change the number to a specific number and I had free texts.

Another one was the free voicemails we used to send out. Dial either my number or their number with a +44060 or similar prefix and we used to chat for free on voicemails....cheapskates! lol

Last but not least was one i never got in to but friends and family had: phone bashing. Heard that some people i know used to use phreaking, the black box thing used on phone mic's.

actionmkiii_500_1_sm.jpg

Did anyone chip their BT Cellnet PAYG mobile ?

Piggy back a 12c509 onto the chip inside the fone and it reset your credit back to £10 after you turned the fone back on :)

NEC P3 with a "gold rom" ring any bells ? lol

I had one of those phones too...Philips C12 I think....
philips-savvy.jpg

Did anyone chip their BT Cellnet PAYG mobile ?

Piggy back a 12c509 onto the chip inside the fone and it reset your credit back to £10 after you turned the fone back on :)

Hehe, it worked on the Philips C12, Diga or Savvy, great hack :)

NEC P3 with a "gold rom" ring any bells ? lol

Remember asking your mate to nick you one from his work and your mate shitting himself coz you would phone him at work on it,lol

;)

Hehe, it worked on the Philips C12, Diga or Savvy, great hack :)

Remember asking your mate to nick you one from his work and your mate shitting himself coz you would phone him at work on it,lol

;)

That was the NEC P100 :) had to use a cable to change the ESN/MIN pair on that one ;)

LOL I remember you being dead nervous and squealing down the fone "dont fone me using that thing" lol

The P3 could be done using just the fones keypad lol

I've never done a hack myself but I'd like to :)

Hahahaha, great thread :)

As a young kid at the local 'yoof club' we had a load of ways of getting free games of pool... you could slowly push the coins in half-way which triggered the ball release mechanism before the coin dropped and then slowly release it and re-use the coin again and again and again. Another way was lifting one end of the table up until the balls all got released.

Managed to pick the el cheapo locks on the shitty coin-op arcade machines they had as well... think one was Ikari Warriors and the other was one of the pac-man games. Once you'd done that there was a little switch that would get triggered when a coin was inserted which we'd crouch down and flick for 2 minutes until we'd got 99 credits.

TBH, I think the people running the place knew exactly what we were up to but didn't give a rat's arse as it meant we were happy to go there instead of sniffing glue in the supermarket car park.

When I was a bit older and went to college I remember I'd just seen a TV show on C4 all about hacking and they showed how to phreak using a blue box.... I was hooked on it, although I never managed to get that to work but I did do some beige boxing.

Back