old hacks you used to do.....

Walking to school on Monday mornings, rubbing the large purple week number off the bus tickets & editing it to look like the current weeks number
75p saved

Becoming a Monitor at school to get away early for lunch, dodge paying for lunches & skipping to the front of the queue.
£2.50 saved

£3.25 per week buckshee to spend on Buckfast tonic wine & Gypsy Creams.

Sticking Ice Lolly sticks down the slot in the old Payphone boxes to get free calls.

Of course there was always the copper & lead runs to the scrapyard to get more money for booze.

Our tickets you used to push it in the machine and it stamped it, driver never paid any attention so you only had to use a wax candle on the card, when you got off bus you scrapped wax back off and card was good as new and awaiting some more wax.........:proud:

doh. opening the lock

lol, you didn't read my edited post. ;)

My Mum thought she was invincible with her phone lock, I had it opened within 10 minutes ;)

I've actually got a ghost story relating to this.

Did someone mention Gypsy Creams???

Not seem those for years, once my fav biscuit.

a friend of mine use to clock up the credits on an electric prepay meter with a cooker lighter and a ripped up benson and hedges pack.

a friend of mine use to clock up the credits on an electric prepay meter with a cooker lighter and a ripped up benson and hedges pack.

An old trick with the prepay meter was to cut you powercard in half and swipe as normal.
Then swipe the data strip backwards 3 or 4 times and then swipe another normal one.
The end result was 30quid of credit as supposed to 10.

on the pay once connected phones you could just shout really loud instead of paying, you looked like a cock but it worked

confusing the old coke machines into dropping two cans by tapping the button repetedly was easy enough

randomly pulling at the old ciggy machines till a pack dropped out

happy days

Didn't do it myself but knew someone who did.

Old Pay (50p) televisions - he made up 50p ice cubes and used them, drilled a small whole under the box that holds cash to let it drip out. he got caught as everytime the guy came to collect there was only 50p in the box (thought something suspicious) check around a found a stain on the carpet where the water was dripping out - still clever.:proud:

An old trick with the prepay meter was to cut you powercard in half and swipe as normal.
Then swipe the data strip backwards 3 or 4 times and then swipe another normal one.
The end result was 30quid of credit as supposed to 10.

Bit daft considering that when you bought a power card it was credited to your account and when they read the meter they billed you for the electricity you hadn't paid for. :err:

How did that work when the metal bit is only on one side :S

You must be a nipper then :) before we had the 3 1/2 inch discs made of plastic there were 5 1/4 inch discs that were floppy because the cover was made of cardboard and very flimsy

Showing my age here........

Bit daft considering that when you bought a power card it was credited to your account and when they read the meter they billed you for the electricity you hadn't paid for. :err:

Never got billed for the electricity, they just changed the meter saying it was faulty after a year.
People up the street at the time had some of their meters rigged so they had to buy so many cards to avoid suspicion and would sell them for 3quid.
In the early days you could get away with it but it was well clamped later on.

I never did it that often as my meter virtually ran backwards anyway as my old landlord had done something to it.
Although they clicked onto that aswell after a year or so..

A lot of people used to threadle a film negative in the side of electric meter to stop the wheel or you could turn the whole thing upside down, that stopped the wheel registering to, not that I ever tried it of course :proud:

Ahh the 50p meters in the flats :)

i bought dodgy ones in the barras years ago for my 1st house. Fake cards but gave you credit. For every real one i bought i used 2 fake. So when they did read the meter and questioned it, I acted dumb and put it down to previous tennent. They accepted it.

Last edited:
There is no way that you didn't need any hardware for this.

Typing 'up arrow' into a C64 would return 'Syntax Error'.

I think what you are trying to tell me is that you pressed the up arrow on the keyboard, this actioned a routine in the cartridge hardware which utilised some sort of double compression routine.

Your talking about using custom hardware on a C64 mate.

Absolutely nowhere in section 6.4 does it relate to any commands such as 'up arrow' , let alone make claims to make games boot faster, that section relates solely to floppy drives and not cassette, and indeed the quoted text from your post indicates that the C64 is issuing a floppy command.

I'm still completely lost and I think you were dreaming the entire episode :)

Ok mR W you got me. I never really owned a C64 and I couldn't have done so as I just came to this country 2 years ago. My real name is Hakmed and I am a political refugee from Somalia. As kids in Somalia my 12 brothers and sisters never had any computer games of any sort, all we did was play pirates and it was brilliant fun.

I just want to be like you guys so I make this stuff up. The only problem is that when I google 'C64 fastloader' it comes up with this post at the top of the page so I have no more lies to feed you. The flip side is that my dad will be so proud as my bullshits are now on top of the google listings and thus I have conquered the internet.

You must be a nipper then :) before we had the 3 1/2 inch discs made of plastic there were 5 1/4 inch discs that were floppy because the cover was made of cardboard and very flimsy

hahaha right! Yeah i nerver used a 51/4 floppy before lol!, i was thinking in the case of the 3 1/2 inch floppys we have today!

fantastic hacks in this thread! really loving some of the ideas!

would love to have a fiddle with our leccy meter !

lolool...what about the 8 inch floppy! loll...

Floppy-8inch-wDiskette.gif

Back