old hacks you used to do.....

used to get free calls from bt phone boxs too. you had to use a quid make your call and press follow on call befor you got to 20p on the screen then dial 141 141 141 141 repeatedly until your quid poped out

cutting a tab out if a 5/2 inch floppy and make them duel sided...

c64= gay spectrum= hetro

:banana:

PMSL.

Loved both of them, owned both of them, but C64 pissed all over the Speccy.

Speccy still very special as it was my 1st decent computer.

i played green beret from the ages of 7 to 15 before i got across the electric fence and faced the jumping *****ions......that's not a hack by the way....

that's not a swear word....police dogs....^^^

used to get free calls from bt phone boxs too. you had to use a quid make your call and press follow on call befor you got to 20p on the screen then dial 141 141 141 141 repeatedly until your quid poped out

We had a local box that if you put your money into and made a call then hit the box really hard before the credit ran out you would be refunded your cash.

I think it worked because (in those days) your money didn't drop into the cash box until your call had ended, so if you smacked it then your money would dislodge from the holding place and fall into the change tray.

:err:

Totally confused now, lol

Let's clear some things up before we continue.....

You haven't mentioned using any extra hardware, though I suspect that you have used some sort of turbo loader device?

I had 2 Turbo loader/backup devices, one was the original 'Action Replay' and the other was a clone made by Evesham Micros known as the 'Freeze Frame'.

Sounds to me like you knew of a way to make these types of devices cram even more games onto a tape?

I think this may be it. Section 6.4

^PROGNAME equals to LOAD "PROGNAME",8 & RUN (Arrow Up)

IIRC you didn't need any hardware if you were just playing the already ripped game, all we used to do was type the up arrow command and hit play to load the game from cassette.

Back in them days the cool kids walked around with BASF cassette's crammed with hundreds of games in their back pockets, unfortunately Trump cards were on their way out.

Lol... i remember in yr 4.. getting 1p coins then sticking foil around it.. sticking it into those little machine things that had like bouncy balls or little toys.. and soon enough the foiled 1p would go thru... and out popped our toys..

soon enough nearly every kid in the school owned a bouncy ball and the head eventually found out :p

most ive ever done lmao.. although i always dream of gettin into the software hacking but dunno where to start.. =]

Remember the sweet machines where you put in 20p and twist the knob to get sweets out? I remeber sticking blue-tac to the 20p and twisting it all day to empty the machine :D

You can also use a 1p coin and a cocktail stick to trick them into thinking you just put 20p in...

Those were the days, free sweets :D

As far as I know, both these tricks still work.

A lot of people used to threadle a film negative in the side of electric meter to stop the wheel or you could turn the whole thing upside down, that stopped the wheel registering to, not that I ever tried it of course :proud:

My brother in law used to put a threading needle in the side to stop the wheel, he moved house and forgot about it, was nicked and got a £300 fine and had to pay back about £500 to leccy company, he said he only saved about £100 so was £700 out of pocket.....he is a knob though.

1st hack for me...similar to bod's post...the lock on the old phones, I used to unscrew the whole dial and turn it around so the No.9 was on the number one position, that way you could dial any number before the lock hit the collar which stopped it, later we found out you could just tap the hang up buttons really fast for each number and it worked.

Walking to school on Monday mornings, rubbing the large purple week number off the bus tickets & editing it to look like the current weeks number
75p saved

Becoming a Monitor at school to get away early for lunch, dodge paying for lunches & skipping to the front of the queue.
£2.50 saved

£3.25 per week buckshee to spend on Buckfast tonic wine & Gypsy Creams.

Sticking Ice Lolly sticks down the slot in the old Payphone boxes to get free calls.

Of course there was always the copper & lead runs to the scrapyard to get more money for booze.

47869-old-hacks-you-used-rotphon1.jpg
I've got two of these bad boys for sale for £15 each, a grey & creamy white one :)

I think this may be it. Section 6.4

IIRC you didn't need any hardware if you were just playing the already ripped game, all we used to do was type the up arrow command and hit play to load the game from cassette.

There is no way that you didn't need any hardware for this.

Typing 'up arrow' into a C64 would return 'Syntax Error'.

I think what you are trying to tell me is that you pressed the up arrow on the keyboard, this actioned a routine in the cartridge hardware which utilised some sort of double compression routine.

Your talking about using custom hardware on a C64 mate.

Absolutely nowhere in section 6.4 does it relate to any commands such as 'up arrow' , let alone make claims to make games boot faster, that section relates solely to floppy drives and not cassette, and indeed the quoted text from your post indicates that the C64 is issuing a floppy command.

I'm still completely lost and I think you were dreaming the entire episode :)

First ever thing i did was with the Old bell payphones you got in bars are resturaunts.. remember on holiday in the med.. we used to twist the lock and for some reason it would give you free calls.. .. we went back one year.. it was the same style phone but the lock was solid.. lol..

There was also a machine which had the watches and ciggies and sometimes money attached to boxes.. We put our hand through the flap where it comes out and bent the guard which was ment to stop exactly what i was doing.. we got money, ciggies and this fake watch.. after though my arm was red raw and scratched..

wish i was 10 again lol...

this one still works with a 1 pence piece..wrappin it in toliet roll bout 5 or 6 times and stickin it in the condom machine or sometimes u get smints machines in pubs and that..well push it in and gently use a key to push the coin forward but not to much that it drops.. keep turnin the knob and the machine will emty..

There is no way that you didn't need any hardware for this.

Typing 'up arrow' into a C64 would return 'Syntax Error'.

I think what you are trying to tell me is that you pressed the up arrow on the keyboard, this actioned a routine in the cartridge hardware which utilised some sort of double compression routine.

Your talking about using custom hardware on a C64 mate.

Absolutely nowhere in section 6.4 does it relate to any commands such as 'up arrow' , let alone make claims to make games boot faster, that section relates solely to floppy drives and not cassette, and indeed the quoted text from your post indicates that the C64 is issuing a floppy command.

I'm still completely lost and I think you were dreaming the entire episode :)

thats what i love about this site, foofing brilliant, suppose thats why u have ELITE MASTER title

for the c64 used a paperclick to bridge pins 1 and 3 (i think) on the cartidge slot so I could enter poke commands for cheating.

You could reset the C64 using pratically any IO port :)

I built a simple switch which would allow a reset via the serial port. I had previously used one of the joystick ports as a reset switch but I got fed up having to remove the joystick to reset the machine.

Back