odd facts section

funeral wake

Wakes are a very old tradition of the Irish/Celtic people. Wakes were customarily held the day before a funeral or burial of the deceased. It was actually a watch over the deceased to see if there would be an awakening. The time during the wake was for family and friends to come and view the deceased and pay respects.

This term for the gathering of family and friends upon the death of someone close derives from watch. Family and friends would maintain a prayer vigil over the corpse. Eventually, the term came to mean the social interactions accompanying a funeral. Other types of wakes existed as well; those about to be knighted would conduct a wake prior to their investiture. But only the funerary wake survives today as a practice. Today, we have a gathering either in the home of deceased or elsewhere to celebrate their Life. To share stories, to share laughs, as attending a funeral is very draining emotionally for the family and close friends… It is a time to reflect on the newly departed. Sharing a meal, wine and liquor or beer at these events is also great to decompress after the news… I will definitely have a Wake for myself.

funeral wake

Wakes are a very old tradition of the Irish/Celtic people. Wakes were customarily held the day before a funeral or burial of the deceased. It was actually a watch over the deceased to see if there would be an awakening. The time during the wake was for family and friends to come and view the deceased and pay respects.

This term for the gathering of family and friends upon the death of someone close derives from watch. Family and friends would maintain a prayer vigil over the corpse. Eventually, the term came to mean the social interactions accompanying a funeral. Other types of wakes existed as well; those about to be knighted would conduct a wake prior to their investiture. But only the funerary wake survives today as a practice. Today, we have a gathering either in the home of deceased or elsewhere to celebrate their Life. To share stories, to share laughs, as attending a funeral is very draining emotionally for the family and close friends… It is a time to reflect on the newly departed. Sharing a meal, wine and liquor or beer at these events is also great to decompress after the news… I will definitely have a Wake for myself.

It's what we did for the oldman, his casket was in the front room the day before the funeral and we took it in turns to sit with
him reminiscing all through the night having one last wee drink with him, my mother was lived we used the casket as a coffee
table, I don't think the oldman minded, if he did he never said anyway. quite moving and in some way comforting to the family. 👍

Last edited:
lbs = pounds (why?)

The libra (Latin for "scales / balance") is an ancient Roman unit of mass that was equivalent to approximately 328.9 grams. It was divided into 12 unciae (singular: uncia), or ounces. The libra is the origin of the abbreviation for pound, "lb"

lbs = pounds (why?)

The libra (Latin for "scales / balance") is an ancient Roman unit of mass that was equivalent to approximately 328.9 grams. It was divided into 12 unciae (singular: uncia), or ounces. The libra is the origin of the abbreviation for pound, "lb"
Funnily enough Libra (Esterlina) is the European way of saying Pound as in £ GBP.

5 major instruments

The brass family consists of 5 major instruments with many other similar variations on them. The Trumpet/Cornet, the French Horn, the Trombone, the Baritone/Euphonium, and the Tuba/Sousaphone. Sound is produced by each instrument in the family by buzzing the lips together into the mouthpiece

The rate at which sound travels through a media is related to how close the atoms/molecules, how much they weigh and the restoring force. Lighter, tighter packed molecules with strong restoring forces are expected to have faster speeds.

Heat sinks are often colored black in order to assist with more efficient heat dissipation. The heat is given of radiantly, please refer to black body radiation. Surfaces that absorb light (black/dark) better also tend to be better radiator of heat also. This is why vacuum flasks are silver coated as the contents then will lose less heat radiatively.

The integral of the sums is equal to the sum of integrals. This is true because they both operations that have the effect of adding up values.

Resistors, especially thin film types, can change in value due to electrostatic discharge. The high currents involved in the discharge change the resistor physically and this is why thin film types are more susceptible to damage. A robust type would be higher power resistors and those with bulk restive materials rather than film types.

Back