odd facts section

Cosmic rays can corrupt RAM bits, changing a 1 to a 0 or visa versa. Larger RAM die size and altitude can both play into the probability that a bit will flip. Also smaller technologies (size of mosfets) are more prone to bit flipping.

The probability has been estimated at 3.7 × 10 to the minus 9 per byte per month, or 1.4 × 10 to the minus15 per byte per second.

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
I believe it would depend on the technology (smaller transistors are affected more) and altitude (flux increase by 2.2 times per 1000m). If we use the probability numbers that you stated then 3.7e-9 * 120 months * 16MB = 7 bit errors due to cosmic rays. This has happened to me in a system that needed to be up and running for several decades but failed after about 10 years. The genius designer thought that it would be wise to store a program in RAM not EEPROM/Flash memory. I think that RAM chips have error correction built in these days but I may be mistaken.

Damn, DW Busted too. I can't believe nobody else has tried this before :eek::eek::eek:
HH.
I am sure many folks have tried to spread their posts over multiple threads. I was being obvious on purpose. I see the reasoning behind the rule but it does degrade the content some. I recently signed up on Glassdoor and within a couple of days they were going to stop access if I didn't post a salary data point. It was a non-organic type of motivation behind my posting a salary and my inputs were perhaps not as accurate as they could have been. Not far off but not precise as I didn't have time to rifle through paperwork and just need access for simple company research reasons. It made me wonder how much of the salary info on that site is accurate. Rules like these don't promote good content or quality contribution IMHO.

Admin and moss are on the ball, not easy to catch them out

Take a small piece of Styrofoam, shape it like a boat, remove some material in the center (don't go all the way through) to place a fluid, poke a hole from this cavity you created to the back end of your boat, place the boat in water and put some alcohol (isopropanol, ethanol, methanol etc.) in the cavity. The boat should zip along. But why you say? Because the alcohol leaks out from behind your boat and water rushes in to dilute it. This causes a higher pressure behind the boat than in front and wholla, propulsion. Novel project for the kids.

• A cube of water, siting on the ground 1 meter on a side (a cubic meter) weighs 1000 kg (2,200 pounds or a metric ton).

Reactions: gez
@avid 😳😳😳😳😳 alcohol and water, never, the only water is pure spring water (a small drop) with a nice malt, no other alcohol goes with water.

One lap of an Olympic running track is 400 meters, which is a quarter of a mile.

Reactions: gez
The Tropic of Cancer was named because at the time of its naming, the sun was positioned in the Cancer constellation during the June solstice. Likewise, the Tropic of Capricorn was named because the sun was in the constellation Capricorn during the December solstice. The naming took place about 2000 years ago, and the sun is no longer in those constellations at that time of year. At the June solstice, the Sun is in Taurus, and at the December solstice, the sun is in Sagittarius.

Back