Norton 2004 not working properly ???

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
:mad: I've got Norton Internet security 2004.

Iam having 2 Problems with it, or the firewall to be more precise.

1st..
The firewall keeps blocking my Internet explorer when iam going to surf the net, I have to disable it to view all web pages.....Ive done all the normal stuff like go into norton firewall program configuration and tell the settings to permit all internet explorer traffic etc but that doesnt help.
Ive also re-installed norton a few times thinking iam getting a bad install and what happens is that it allows internet explorer to work fine for days then all of a sudden it go's back to the way Ive described above.

2nd..
Outlook express, I open outlook up, I can see my mail coming in (receiving mail), then all of a sudden it can stop receiving on any random mail, just say for talking sake the 10th out of 50 incoming, it wont go past it until I cancel outlook, disable the firewall and then restart outlook and hey presto !! All the mail comes in, only problem though is becuase the firewall has been disable you get all the trash mail too....I've tried the steps ive said above with internet explorer, making sure the settings are set to allow outlook all access through firewall.....

Sooooo, sorry about the long message, but I had to tell in detail the problem, can anyone advice me please ???

:) Ive found the solution to the 1st problem, the internet explorer one, the answer is here in this link for those of you suffering the same

*ttp://service1.symantec.com/SUPPORT/nip.nsf/e2e4ce613b66167c88256d8e0076b032/a3e4c1274f2b55bc88256ad500586ee1?OpenDocument&prod=Norton%20Internet%20Security&ver=2004%20Professional&src=sg&pcode=nis&svy=&csm=no

Iam still working on the 2nd problem with outlook if anyone cares to help me. :Cheers:

easiest way round this m8 is to remove all programs with or without access from within the firewall then start a fresh

Also m8 1 other thing try turning of the privacy control this too may sort it

Regards
Chris

:Cheers: cheers mate, privacy control has just been switched off, so I'll see how it go's, need to wait on emails coming in.
BUT, can you tell me what you mean when you said "easiest way round this m8 is to remove all programs with or without access from within the firewall then start a fresh" ???
Iam dumb, I know, lol :toiletcla

MMMMM, Ive got a funny feeling the solution in the link I posted for the internet explorer fix and the the advice from chris1975 to turn off "privacy control" might have solved the problem with outlook express as well as internet explorer, I dunno if thats possible but its looking good for now.....Is it possible that changes those settings would help outlook ????
Let me know if someone knows please.....
I'll keep ya'all informed on the progress, I should know if its running perfectly within hours or days, just need emails to pile in......
:Cheers:[/B]

Nop....its still acting up on the internet explorer problem, outlook seems ok though, so far...
Anyone any ideas ?
:Cheers:

No disrespect but ive already tried all that stuff thats in that link, if you read the initial post carefully you'll see its a different kinda problem from the one your thinking of, thanks anyway mate, much appreciated...

Anyone else any ideas ? :Cheers:

disable the spam filter for your e-mail problem, had the same problem would give me an error every time i received a mail

Ye but if I disable the spam filter I'll get all the spam coming in too, will I not ?

that was the only way i could get it working , then again i dont get much spam.
After a while i started using trend micro's internet security but even that has its bad points

Just wondering if anyone had any luck cracking Personal Firewall 2004, I know its a little off topic but I cant seem to find a crack for this thing anywhere and it runs out in 10 days :(

chris_uk said:
Just wondering if anyone had any luck cracking Personal Firewall 2004, I know its a little off topic but I cant seem to find a crack for this thing anywhere and it runs out in 10 days :(
PM me in case you haven't got one yet

[/IMG]This Norton firewall is still blocking me from viewing all web pages unless I disable it, its doing my tits right in :mad:

Ive used norton products for years and never had this shite before :mad:

Ive even went into the firewall configuration settings and tried out several different things but when I reboot it just does the same pissy thing... :mad:

Does anyone know what should and shouldnt be ticked (checked) in the firewall configuration settings in the advanced/general rules section, thats the part that allows you to changed whats allowed inbound and outbound etc, anyone know what these should be set to allow full access for internet explorer to work properly and at the same time be 100% safe (firewalled) ????

Ive attached a pic of the area in norton iam talking about incase people didnt have a scooby what iam on about, any help would be appreciated....

?????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

Hmmm, seems like no one has an answer to this one.........
Come on guys, surley someone must have been experiencing the same/similar kinda problems as me ??? :Cheers:

Gimme some time on this hehe.

I'll try to do a test run on my own machine this afternoon, see what settings should look like to have your machine secure and IE running at the same time.

Although having Windows/MSIE and mentioning the word secure in connection with them......hehehehhehehehe.

Anyway, i'll install that yippitie piece of software on my machine and check if i can come up with something. Keep u posted on that one.

Ok, cool man !!! :)

See the thing is too, the settings on default seem to work ok when I do a fresh install of NIS but after so many hours or days the Internet Explorer thing F*cks up again, thats whats strange about it.....
The outlook express problem looks as though its sorted but for the ocassional time it will halt on an incoming mail...

Anyway, you carry on with your experiment and get back to me a.s.a.p please.

AND, anyone else want to lend a hand then feel free, iam all ears.. ehh, eyes I should say, hehe !!
:Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers: :Cheers:

Right,

installed NIS 2004 on my system and had it run overnight, with the webbrowser constantly loading different websites.

Browser is MSIE 6.0 SP1 and latest hotfixes intalled, didn't **** up a single time. Had NIS 2004 running with default settings, and webpages were loading ok, no access problems whatever page i connected to.

Also had a look at your screenshot, seetingwise (at least the part displayed there) it seems ok. Can you explain a little more detailed how exactly it ****s up loading webpages ?

Basically what happens is >>>

If I dont disable the firewall I cant access any web pages at all (page cannot be displayed) bla bla bla..
The settings for the firewall are set to PERMIT internet explorer so I dont know if it could be the settings, maybe a hidden setting somewhere ??

Also, as Ive said before, if I uninstall NIS and then reinstall it, Internet explorer can run just fine with the firewall enabled but not for long, maybe hours or days then it go's back to the f*cked up way again....Ive uninstalled/reinstalled a good few times to the extent iam pissed off doing it now...

Any Ideas ? :Cheers:

Back