Norton 2004 not working properly ???

thomson

Inactive User
Reaction score
:mad: I've got Norton Internet security 2004.

Iam having 2 Problems with it, or the firewall to be more precise.

1st..
The firewall keeps blocking my Internet explorer when iam going to surf the net, I have to disable it to view all web pages.....Ive done all the normal stuff like go into norton firewall program configuration and tell the settings to permit all internet explorer traffic etc but that doesnt help.
Ive also re-installed norton a few times thinking iam getting a bad install and what happens is that it allows internet explorer to work fine for days then all of a sudden it go's back to the way Ive described above.

2nd..
Outlook express, I open outlook up, I can see my mail coming in (receiving mail), then all of a sudden it can stop receiving on any random mail, just say for talking sake the 10th out of 50 incoming, it wont go past it until I cancel outlook, disable the firewall and then restart outlook and hey presto !! All the mail comes in, only problem though is becuase the firewall has been disable you get all the trash mail too....I've tried the steps ive said above with internet explorer, making sure the settings are set to allow outlook all access through firewall.....

Sooooo, sorry about the long message, but I had to tell in detail the problem, can anyone advice me please ???

Pretty weird thing.

Can u make sure that , on top of having MSIE permitted full access, following ports are allowed access ?

Port Protocol
80 (http) TCP/UDP incoming and outgoing
53 (DNS) TCP/UDP incoming and outgoing

Haven't got NIS at hand right now to post some screens where to set this, running Syagte Personal Firewall myself here on this machine at work.

When the pages won't show up there is another thing u might try to check if for example Port 53 is blocked. If MSIE doesn't load pages by name, simply try to open them with their IP address, like instead of http://www.google.com just type httP://66.102.11.99 into the address bar of the browser.

Is it only MSIE having this problem, or have u by chance installed a 2nd browser that works fine ?

When the pages won't load..what does the Norton icon in the system tray look like ? Just wanna know if there's a little red cross or whatever on it. Thats what happened to a friend of mine, he was running NIS 2003, went ok for quite a while and then all of a sudden NIS blocked all Internet connectivity for no reason.

In answer to your suggestions >>>

1. I dont know how to check the port access mate, if you could find out it would be a help.

2. Typing in the IP address doesnt work, i just tried it.

3. I dont have a second browser installed as ive never felt the need to, ive never had
problems like this before and ive been using pc's for about 16 years.

4.Theres No little red X icon in the system tray.

Ive just thought about something else, I can get on yahoo and msn messenger etc plus I can play games online but the IE is still f*cked, does that make any sense ?

I bet your thinking "what the f*ck??" I know I am, cant get a way round this one at all....

:Cheers:

P,s,
from this coming monday I wont be online for 7 days, so dont think iam not bothering with any response, I am and will be back.

W*T*F :)

Sound really weird.

Ok, the fact that u can play games and use that messenger stuff rules out that there are DNS issues with your system/firewall. The fact that IE works fine for a while and then screws up makes me think that there shouldn't be any port problems either.

What's kind of scary is that some stuff works and some stuff doesn't although both use the same firewall and protocoll.

There might be some problems with your Internet Explorer. To rule that out do the following:

Open a command prompt on your system (Start > Run > cmd.exe)
type the following:
rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"
which will open a windows giving you the option to repair the Internet Explorer.

Knowing u 7 days offline from monday on leaves me some time to think it over and get rid of the nightmares caused by that problem :)

Ive tried what you said but I cant get anything to happen from the command prompt except for an error.
Iam actually copy/pasting at the command prompt what you told me to rundll32 setupwbv.dll,IE6Maintenance "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\Setup\SETUP.EXE" /g "C:\WINDOWS\IE Uninstall Log.Txt"

But all I get when I hit enter is this error - ERROR LOADING SETUPWBV.DLL, THE SPECIFIED MODULE COULD NOT BE FOUND.

Now, I dont know if iam doing it correctly as iam hopeless with dos and prompts etc ??? All I can say is that iam copy/pasting exactly whats above at the command prompt and thats the error I get.
Please advise, cheers :Cheers:

Brings a little light into this.

This generally happens when ur IE installation is ****ed up.
Possibly best thing is to do a clean reinstall of the MSIE, which might be a bit tricky under Windows XP.

How to uninstall and reinstall MSIE n Win XP

The error in loading the .dll is likely to be caused by some sort of Spyware-Killer software, that registered with a particular IE dll and screwed up doing that.

Try the link to the MS Knowledge Base above and see if that works out

OK mate, cheers, i'll try it and see how it go's ive only just got back home from a mad 7 day booze session lol, so i'll try that out a bit later and let ye know how it go's..... :Cheers:

WAIT wait wait.....iam just thinking, it cant be a problem like you've just suggested, Ive reinstalled windows etc clean format etc and still had the same problem, so I imagine that it cant be anything to do with internet explorer ???
What ya think mate ??? or anyone else who cares to lend a hand ?

i dont know why people continue to use Norton when it causes all these problems there are plenty of other products that cause no problems

Same question here.

There are several tools around that do their job better, faster and less hungry for system resources.

I think it's mainly because Norton seems to be convenient to have, all in one, similar interface for all that stuff etc. What most people don't realise is that having all this does not neccessarily mean that it's good and you are safe.

Not been on here for long, but as far as i remember there were a lot of peeps having problems with NIS 2003/2004. Why not give it a change, and try something else.

Here is what i use at home and am happy with:

Firewall: Sygate Personal Firewall / @Guard on 2 machines
Virus: Kaspersky Anti Virus 4.5
Ad/Popup Blocker: Google-Bar (works perfect)
Spam: fake email-address, keeps spam to my actual email addresses at a minimum.

Ive always used norton products for years now and never had a problem like this, infact I dont think I ever had any proplems ever.
I'll maybe have a go with another product, maybe mcafee or something like that, I'll have to go sniff round the net to see whats what, I'll let you guys know whats up when iam sorted.

ok guys.
Mcafee internet security 2004 is installed and running, seems to be running ok, no problems so far although some pop up ad's have shown up which I dont like, BUT ive tweaked the settings a wee bit and i'll see how it go's....
I'll keep ya informed....
I suppose the main thing is that iam not getting pissed off with getting blocked from internet explorer now like I did with norton, I'll weigh up both the pro's and con's cause no doubt there will be some....

Ther sure will be some pro's and cons asl always hehe.
But glad to see that McAfee is not blocking you out (for the moment :) )

Ye mate, all seems ok for now although iam still getting the ocassional popup ad with mcafee which I didnt get with norton.

Does anyone know if there's a way to adjust a setting in mcafee internet security 2004 that could/would help totally block these occasional popup ad's or is it something ya just gota live with ????

ANYONE any ideas ??? feel free to help...

For anyone who cares to know.......

I tried mcafee internet security 2004 and it sucked big time, it blocked too much email even when set on low, it blocked programs using the net even though I told it to allow etc etc etc....It wasnt a very good first experience with mcafee and I hear its meant to be better than norton...RUBBISH !!!!

Ive reinstalled norton internet security 2004, I will live with the stupid little faults it has, I must admit, its a lot better than mcafee......Well thats my opinion anyway....

I know man !!!! LOL , aw well, i'll stick with norton for now and the little bugs it has, better than mcafee, a lot better in my opinion, mcafee is good at what its meant to do but too good, lol, it blocks allsorts of things, too many things, it was withholding email that should have been coming through and everything.....I dare so you must be able to adjust some settings in mcafee that would make it better but if you can then I didnt see them, the only ones I seen I turned full down to lowest levels of security and it still blocked things it shouldnt have.......At least norton with its very few little bugs works good from default settings......
Anyway, ye mate, someone doesnt like me in security program land LOL...

For anyone who wants to know......

Since ive installed norton this time around its been going good (touch wood).

Doesnt seem to be affecting Internet explorer and only now and again blocks an email, so its looking good.

My advice to anyone (and believe me ive got some good advice with this sh*t) is to go for norton internet security 2004 rather than mcafee internet security 2004.

Thats my opinion, there will be people who say otherwise, thats up to them....

cheers..... :Cheers:

Back