New battery HP laptop not charging

silverdale

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
An older relative has asked me to look at their laptop. The original battery wasn't holding charge so they've ordered a new one I think from Amazon.

They've clipped it in but it's not charging and as soon as I pull the power it goes off. Is there a setting or something they've mauled with turn battery off ?
Windows 10 HP 15-d051ea
Picture is of IMG_20230508_094526.jpgthe new battery box

Try this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I tried the old original battery and both old and new say 0% battery not charging

I'm going have to dig deeper and ask him what happened to the original for him to want to change it out,. I

If the original battery was just dying super quick then it should at least say charging when I put it in. I uninstalled the battery drivers and put the original battery back in but it still said the same 0% not charging.
I used HP Assistant just on the original battery and it said not recognised.

I'm now thinking Windows screwed or hardware from mobo to battery screwed

Last edited:
More likely a hardware Fault, the Battery should charge without switching it on. @silverdale

I'm beginning to think that, I'm going to system restore, repair or reinstall windows. If that fails he's getting it back and time for a new one

I suppose you have already seen this article on the official HP website.

How to Fix a Laptop That Won't Charge

Saludos.
Yeah most I've tried most of thanks. I spoke with the relative he said it just shut down while in the middle of been used while it was on battery.
Thinking that the battery had died he bought a replacement but that won't charge up. I checked both the old and new battery using HP Assistant program and in the program both batteries are not recognised. Uninstalling the drivers didn't help.
I'm going to check windows today see what happens if that fails I'm done

You can rule out Windows by booting from a boot cd like Hirens, or the Ultimate boot cd or a bootable Linux. @silverdale

I like to get things direct from Amazon not third party sellers

As that battery could be a china copy , plus sending it back to the suppler is a bit of a pain

I'm saying Amazon I'm not 100% sure. Started on the hard drive checking and lots of errors then had to get out a repair loop, then CMD chdsk all that

Nest er rats....

Back