New Banner logo

I think the "12" makes it looks like the age requirement for a film? So people will confuse it for the age requirment for the site.

blue-skin-banner.jpg

I really like this one and the ones zippy just done today.

You missed out a T by the way, and agree too about the since 1999 being better.

Mick

I really like this one and the ones zippy just done today.

You missed out a T by the way, and agree too about the since 1999 being better.

Mick

Dear oh dear... :drink: What a boob. I'm famous for it, I'm a bit dyslexic.

blue-skin-banner.png

I think that one is great as well, but the original 'sunrise' earth one looks like it was made on a black background.

Earth_4.jpg

I played about with this (maybe!) original one to suit the strong blue skin, but to make it look good on a blue background, for me, didn't have the desired effect.

I'm sure there are many talented people out there with some great ideas that could make that image work!! :Clap:

I had a little mess about with this.

I dunno if it worked or not lol, looked like another one I made before.

Here it is

Mick

blue-skin-banner.png

like that one :) ^

Dear oh dear... :drink: What a boob. I'm famous for it, I'm a bit dyslexic.

blue-skin-banner.png

It is very good!!!

Did you draw the arrows or merge an image ?

Could I also ask how because I am ok with taking something from another image and blending it but would love to know how stuff is done.

Regards
Mick

I think the "12" makes it looks like the age requirement for a film? So people will confuse it for the age requirment for the site.

blue-skin-banner.jpg

Like this one! Seen some of your work previously and knew you'd make a good one mate!

Last edited:
Apart from the two 'earths', I've made this from scratch.

DWorld-2011-1999-2.jpg

But Madeinbeats one, in my opinion, with the 'satellite cable...' text on it, would look good for the site. Very nicely done Madeinbeats! ;)

Last edited:
But Madeinbeats one, in my opinion, with the 'satellite cable...' text on it, would look good for the site. Very nicely done Madeinbeats! ;)

Cheers Snappy. You did the Christmas one didn't you? I thought that was very nice. Your stuff seem to be getting better and better...

It is very good!!!

Did you draw the arrows or merge an image ?

Could I also ask how because I am ok with taking something from another image and blending it but would love to know how stuff is done.

Regards
Mick

Lol, I couldn't possibly comment or reveal my secrets... I find it hard enough to make a living out of it as it is, lol...

The cables and arrows are pre-made though. They are an illustration done in a vector package like Illustrator. That would have taken a while to make, and as it isn't a paid job, you make the best of what you have in your toolbox ;)

Term of layering and arranging graphics is a 'collage'. There are various techniques. There are trends also, and you can use old, outdated trends, cheesy techniqes, or more fashionable, trendy or cutting edge techniques... Knowing which is which is critical. An eye for design as it were.

And then there are techniques which are classical and always work. You need to have classical techniques as a foundation, and then mix it up with trends and fashions.

Graphics software like Photoshop is very powerful and complex, but they don't make graphics for you. You need to know, as said, what looks good and what just looks bad. You need to know how to balance an image, fonts, typography, placement etc... as well as knowing the direction, the audience, and the colour schemes / having a working colour pallet. Organisation!!

I could cut someone's chest open, cut his heart out and place a still beating pig's heart in its place... doen't make me a surgeon though lol... You can murder a graphic too.

Some people get a lot of fun out of making graphics, good, bad and mad, and at the end of the day, that's what matters. I like working with photos, restoring, airbrushing, fixing, that kind of stuff myself...

Graphic design is a very poorly paid and under apprechiated sector - it's best left as a hobby - BELIEVE ME!!!

Last edited:
Just dug out this book which teaches some foundation basics. It's a quick easy read and good for reference, then you can take it from there. I'll leave it uploaded for a week or so if anyone wants to download it.

The Non-Designer's Design Book.

Well I have put it up today :)

I think it is a fantastic logo, thank you.

I would also like to thank everyone, I enjoyed toying around with the images, I have never done it before but found it nice finding my way around photoshop (on a tiny scale)

Thanks all
Mick

a big thumbs up from me too I like the new banner :)

loooks better than before, id have been tempted to use the orange lettering on the first letter of world too.

the one orange letter looks kind of out of place on its own.

DIGITAL WORLDZ

like that but it still looks ok as is.

loooks better than before, id have been tempted to use the orange lettering on the first letter of world too.

DIGITAL WORLDZ

+1 I agree

DIGITAL WORLDZ

+1 I agree
I'd like to compare the 2 first. As a quick flick though the pdf that 'beats uploaded may show why he didn't make the "W" orange too.

DIGITAL WORLDZ

Again, goes back to what I said in a previous post about sometimes using an effect that is overused/dated. It is a classic typography effect, but I just thought it would make it look 'slightly' more amataurish, plus something that has been done with a lot of the other DW logos.

This sort a speak makes me cringe a lot of the time becasue it sounds like pure bullshit (becasue most of the time it is), but, think of the orange D as the a power button symbolising the activation of the rest of the logo, hence, the rest of the site. Most electronics only have 1 power button.

See what I did there? Now, did I apply that theriem to the design before, durin or after the fact? lol, I'm not telling, just like a modern artist who sells his tripe paintings for thousands and thousands with bizarre symbolism wouldn't either.

There's always room for improvement and I'm never happy with any graphic I've done, which is either a blessing or more probably a curse. But my stlye as a designer is neat and minimal, and was done in about half an hour, so it is what it is. I could have made more of an issue of the orange D and a million more things. The amount of variations is endless and amount of time ploughed in endless too.

The single orange D also helps to lead the eye to the orange tabs, drawing attention to them and the inclination to explore the site. Two orange letters would maybe distract from that and it would just be a sea of orange with no particular rhyme or reason.

I'd like to compare the 2 first. As a quick flick though the pdf that 'beats uploaded may show why he didn't make the "W" orange too.

It's a good little book though isn't? If anyone here who likes tinkering, making their own poster, flyers, invitations etc, etc, then it's always a handy reference to glance at for a couple of moment for some tips and ideas...

Back