netgear router and bulldog internet keep switching off

torrentulla

Inactive User
Reaction score
hi i have got bulldog internet connection and netgear dg834gt router
I lost internet connection on pcs with it then have to restart the router again to connect please help anyone

your SNR could be too low as well, which may require you to phone bulldog. thats usually the cause of 'dropped' connections.

tried firmware upgrade its worse than before
so restored the old firmware how do i found about my snr
can anyone help please
regards

what speed is your connection?

I signed up for bulldog 8mb but for sum reason it kept crashing my machine, so they capped the speed to 4mb which was fine.

their explanation was that itwas either the modem or the microfilters but i never bothered to test their theory!

have a word with them, see what they say. apparently they claim their customer service has improved.....i'v just switched over to UKonline cos the bulldog phoneline was c**p.

torrentulla said:
tried firmware upgrade its worse than before
so restored the old firmware how do i found about my snr
can anyone help please
regards

if you log into your dg834gt (i got one too) the first page that pops up scroll down and hit the 'shows statistics' vutton and then a little box will open, the snr is called 'noise margin' tell us both the downstrean and upstream number...if my guess is right yours maybe in the region of 8 (well known number at which connections drop)
in which case phone bulldog.

thanks for the help mate it showing the following

noise margin section it shows
downstream 9.7
upstream 16

what do u think is it alright or not?

Last edited:
torrentulla said:
thanks for the help mate it showing the following

noise margin section it shows
downstream 9.7
upstream 16

what do u think is it alright or not?

hmm..........your upstream is excellent but your downstream is slightly low but nothing that should give you the disconnects.
bulldog say they want to keep the downstream at around about 10 and since people who go onto bulldog sometimes do not get the the full 8mbit these peeps usually get to decrease their noise margin through the bulldog engineer, which then directlky effects the downstream by increasing it. so people have gone down to as low as 8.
i hope the above is making some sort of sense.

one thing mate before i say you should phone bulldog, what is your line attenuation? (the one above noise margin in the little box that pops up after pressing 'show statistics')

remember there sometimes can be a host of problems with this adsl technology.
the speed you get is dependant upon your distance from the exchange and the snr (noise margin) but also the conductor the BT infrastructure uses for the lines.
also the way the bt wire is wired within your house also plays a part.
all this contributes to the line quality.

there are a few things you can try, such as connecting your adsl from your router directly into the 'test' socket behind your initial bt socket.

bulldog forums caontains all this and to be honest mate you might get more detalied info there, so you may want to give them a try.

Back