Netgear fvs124g

cheers mate, your the font of all router knowladge :)

there was a thread on another forum like this where a guy combined 2 modems this router and a wireless router into a custom made pc case so i thought i'll have some of that especialy when he said he got 40mb through it

lol

i was always interested in linux and wingate/pfense so al have a wee dig around

thanks again mate

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

just had a wee look at that linux setup and it looks to good to be true, but i'll still give it a whirl :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

no problems, just remember if you go ahead and try this out for yourself you are looking for bandwidth combining.

Load balancing wont really be what you are after here, this will just make sure you always get a 20mb connection (and anyone else on your network).

If you have that link to the other forum, post it and I will take a look.

pm sent mate

dunno if am allowed to post this sort of stuff?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

possibly not.

As soon as I can, will take a look at it. In the meantime, if you want to go ahead with the linux box as a dual wan router, you may want to get yourself a pair of ethernet cards.

There are some out there that will give you four ethernet ports on one card etc, but these can be fairly expensive.

Try the following website for a comparison for Linux firewalls.

http://www.tech-faq.com/download-free-firewall.shtml

Personally I used to use IPCop on an old 486 that work threw out. Worked great till the hdd died.

There is also one which works completely of a floppy disk so you don't even need a hdd.

unfortunaely, none of these appear to offer bandwidth combining, they are all just very well featured firewalls.

For 'shotgun' / multilink you WAN connections the only configuration that I have seen that might work are both connections on the subnet. This will be the case if you are the same ISP for both connections you will need two different accounts.

Also if you want to download from a single source (e.g. usenet) then all traffic from that site will go down one pipe. Where it will help is when you distributed download (e.g. P2P).

thanks all

got a project underway now :D

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

Back