Need a new laptop for under £600?

Expensive for what you get. Plus would never buy a lappy from Comet (ever) always priced higher than anywhere else.

Acer Aspire 5755 Core i7 Laptop LX.RV402.018 - Laptops Direct

Only downside to Acer, is it comes loaded with tonnes of crap, so you end up re-building it (did with my daughters)

EDIT: Same one here for cheaper with 8GB Ram/BR

http://www.waeplus.co.uk/product/298435/Acer-Aspire-AS5755G-2678G50Bnks-39.6-cm

Acer Aspire 5755G-2678G50Bnks Notebook
Intel Core i7 (2670QM) 2.2GHz Processor with 6MB L3 Cache and 5GT/s Bus Speed
8GB Memory
500GB (5400rpm) Hard Drive
15.6 inch HD Acer CineCrystal LED LCD
Blu-ray Disc/SuperMulti DL Combo Optical Drive
1.3 Megapixel HD Webcam
nVidia GeForce GT 630M with 1GB VRAM
802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Last edited:
Thanks for the quick reply.
Is there that much difference in the i5 and i7?
The one from comet has i5/8gigRam/750gighdd and 2gig video.
Other one has. I7/6gigRam/500gighdd and 1 gig video.

All too confusing for me.

Thanks

The edited one has 8GB RAM. So i7/8GB/500GB/1GB

yep, the 500GB is slightly lower, but your offsetting that with an i7 and for the most part will you really use the 500GB in your laptop anyway?, plus its a "replaceable part" unlike the CPU.

The difference is hard to calculate or show, but yes there is a performance difference. The above is an i5 2450, whereas the Acer is an i7 2670, now the issue (well not really an issue but to try to explain) is that for the most part, you'll get faster CPU performance from Core i7 parts than Core i5.

The majority of desktop Core i7 CPUs are quad-core processors, while many mobile Core i5 processors are dual-core, but there are mobile dual-core Core i7 processors, and likewise several desktop quad-core Core i5 processors. The essential to look at is that to get better performance in each generation, buy a processor with a higher model number (e.g, a Core i7-3770 generally has better performance than a Core i5-3450).

In addition to generally faster base clock speeds, Core i7 processors have larger cache (on-board memory) to help the processor deal with repetitive tasks faster. Larger cache sizes help with multitasking, since background tasks will be ready for when you switch focus to another window. The i5 CPU has 3MB of L3 cache, while the i7 processor has 6MB. Then there is also Hyperthreading in the i7 and the "Turboboost" feature gives you higher clock speeds.

The 2GB video card essentially gives you higher resolution, not necessarily a performance boost.

Last edited:
Looks like that's the fella for me then!
Tbh I only need it to do invoices so should be fine lol
Have you bought from that site before? Last time I got a Lappy from staples I had to take it back twice. Not keen on these places with no shop to kick up f**k in if needs be.

Thanks again

why not look into a 13.3" screen ultrabook like the acer aspire s3, beautiful looking machines, lightweight, great battery life and more than powerful, theres a few out there within your budget if you scout about!

Have you bought from that site before? Last time I got a Lappy from staples I had to take it back twice. Not keen on these places with no shop to kick up f**k in if needs be.

Thanks again

Might be a little over spec'd then if all your doing is invoices. You get get something decent for £400 and save yourself £200 (spend it on some other gadget like a tablet)

i've not bought from there before, but to be honest as long as the site looks reputable, and they have the necessary contact info. legitimate premises etc, then your going to be covered by distance selling regulations.

Last edited:

Thanks again

Invoices ? You want to get something like this granted a lot lower speced but still more than enough to do anything "office" related. £329 - Save yourself nearly £300.

Thanks for the replys.
Was lookin at one of those ultra books in pc world but it was a grand, can't see any decent ones in my price range.
Sometimes I do a little more than invoices plus I like to know it has power if needed.

Anybody else seen any good lappys before I buy the acer tonight?

i like the look of that acer...... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm shall or shant i lol

That model HH posted only has the DVD & 6GB RAM and 750GB Disk.

The other has 8GB/500GB and Blu-Ray

A big job has come in and is gonna take all the cash I have to fund it.
Will get a new Lappy in a few weeks when they pay up.

i think ima go for the acer as above, does anybody know if i could dual boot with OSX?

Back