Modem refusing to connect

papa2

DW Member +
Reaction score
My brothers just connected up his modem after months of it just lying in a cupboard, and I've tried everything but it just refuses to connect,
Its a webstar flashed with the Infinte software,

It works everywhere else I've tried it , even tried the pc elsewhere and
it connects ok,
Tried a few different macs and still no joy, it locks on the correct frequency ok,
then I get PHY Synchronised or upstream paramaters aquired but thats it nothing else , it'll start frequency scan again after a little while,

I tried a mac from a few doors up which should work even if only for a short while
but that doesnt work either, although it does go a stage further ,I get ranging complete and waiting for DHCP offer but thats as far as it goes,
think its prob a signal prob but dreambox ,starview box work fine and even
tried the yellow brick booster, I'm realy stuck on this ,
has anybody got any Idea's, I've never come across this before

it could be and uptream problem and also the mac might not be correctly written to the modem (spansion chip problem) when u put a mac on check on the software status page and make sure the mac is there also take a look @ the upstream power level it should be around 48 - 55dBmV anything higher or lower could be the cause of the problem

The mac is correctly written ,
the upstream power fluctuates from 21 to 52 to 61 at different stages in the scanning process,
but normally settles at spot on 61,

is that to high for the modem to function correctly ?

would an attenuator sort it out ?

what size of attenuator would you recommend

yep thats too high check the coax and f-connectors for any damage and also try connecting the modem to the outside feed (the black coax entering the house) to see if it might be the coax cable and if ur going to get attenuators get a -3db, and -6db and have a play with them

I removed the isolator and dont have any splitters on it,
the modem is connected the coax entering the house,

so I'm going to get a couple of those attenuators and have
a play around and see what happens,

will keep you posted

My brothers just connected up his modem after months of it just lying in a cupboard, and I've tried everything but it just refuses to connect,
Its a webstar flashed with the Infinte software,

It works everywhere else I've tried it , even tried the pc elsewhere and
it connects ok,
Tried a few different macs and still no joy, it locks on the correct frequency ok,
then I get PHY Synchronised or upstream paramaters aquired but thats it nothing else , it'll start frequency scan again after a little while,

I tried a mac from a few doors up which should work even if only for a short while
but that doesnt work either, although it does go a stage further ,I get ranging complete and waiting for DHCP offer but thats as far as it goes,
think its prob a signal prob but dreambox ,starview box work fine and even
tried the yellow brick booster, I'm realy stuck on this ,
has anybody got any Idea's, I've never come across this before
also

waiting for DHCP offer is to do with your config or tftp ip ect,ect, so it proberly would be a good idea to check your tftp server ip hasent changed, and try you config forced and unforced

also

waiting for DHCP offer is to do with your config or tftp ip ect,ect, so it proberly would be a good idea to check your tftp server ip hasent changed, and try you config forced and unforced

Yes I read that in the sticky, but dont know how to check tftp ip since he cant get online,
But I'm assuming as its the same area as myself (different ubr)
then the tftp ip would be the same,
I know last time he used it it was the same

Right , I've given up on this , hate it when that happens,
I got a variable attenuator and had a play around but it didnt
really help ,

Managed to get one of his neighbours to try it and it kicked in straight away,

So its got to be the cable , and as its under concrete it looks he's just going
to have to get his modem reinstalled

Back