massive N00b Alert - Dibbers checking in

Good card, I've been using it under xp and vista for about 2 years but don't expect to be using the cam, softcam will work fine though and as senor ding dong says it works well with most of the software i have tried. MP, ProgDVB, GBPVR(scanning can be sporadic), DVBDream, DVBViewer, in fact most software i tried worked!!

just bought it

Bill Amount : £44.85 so here goes nothing! :Drool:

i want a detailed pm everyday from teh moment you receive the card to you get it working mate

lolololololol

let me know how u get on mate cause i've been looking into a dual pci card set up for ages :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

bwhaha....will do matey.......should be here the morra or at least the day after that, status is order shipped from bristol. Just been and priced the complete system up for me to build and it looks like the dogs for about 250 ish quid, that's the lot, processor, MB, processor, hard drive, case, graphics card etc etc......so when i get it I'm gonna plop it in this pc and see what soft cams are all about....

The only thing worrying me is that this bloody machine will be outdated that I'm on compared with the new one that I'm using as a HTPC system.....

bwhaha....will do matey.......should be here the morra or at least the day after that, status is order shipped from bristol. Just been and priced the complete system up for me to build and it looks like the dogs for about 250 ish quid, that's the lot, processor, MB, processor, hard drive, case, graphics card etc etc......so when i get it I'm gonna plop it in this pc and see what soft cams are all about....

The only thing worrying me is that this bloody machine will be outdated that I'm on compared with the new one that I'm using as a HTPC system.....

HTPC doesnt need to be state of teh art mate i wouldnt think?

simple enough as it will only be doing 3 jobs viewing tv, recording tv and downloading?

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

just recording and that i would think, i'll use this one for downloading etc........(you ain't seen this pc man.....lololol.......well out of date compared to what's on the market now)

Last edited:
man i can't thank you enough for your post in here and also in the other thread, i have had a look at them on youtube and they look pretty mint, the only thing that's putting me off is the fact that i have struggled to get my laptop to show on my TV and I'm wondering if I'll hit the same problems with this....

i take it I'd need an out put (so a graphics card) and then use the DVB card as the input, i am right in thinking that this will pick up all the cable channels that exist down the feed? I'm just astonished that they can do this..... so any DVB card will do it? it's not just free to air one's is it?

Thanks again buddy.

EDIT: just had a look at that floppy tv and can see the following

so i take it i'll need a reader and then do the keys and that to the card?

floppydtv_front_cam_250.jpg

where do you get one of those pc cards you show a picture of please

Last edited:
HTPC doesnt need to be state of teh art mate i wouldnt think?

simple enough as it will only be doing 3 jobs viewing tv, recording tv and downloading?
The specs don't need to be too impressive, although if you're using a softcam, you'll want quite a bit of free CPU overhead for recording, and it's definitely worth spending a bit of money on a good case and quiet cooling.

thanks, might as well spend the dosh on a good one, after all it's going to be sitting next to my tv so it's gotta look good as well as perform.....oh i'm so excited....new technology for me to play with and some thing I've been wanting to do for ages......

shield have a look for floppytv mate

floppytv

thanks, might as well spend the dosh on a good one, after all it's going to be sitting next to my tv so it's gotta look good as well as perform.....oh i'm so excited....new technology for me to play with and some thing I've been wanting to do for ages......

shield have a look for floppytv mate

floppytv

whats the spec of your htpc that your gonna build mate?

if ye dont mind me asking :)

Cheers
MFCGAVMFC

gigabyte Ga-M74GM-S2 AM2 - MB £51.47
AMD - DuelCore 6000+ Retail £70.84
500GB Deskstar HDD SATA2 16mb £41.99
1GB - nvidia 9400GT £39.99
pioneer Writer 115D £18.78
2 gig DDR2 pc6400 mem £19.99
CASE - £35.00

Total - £278.06

cards here, what fantastic service (only ordered it yesterday)! now i just have to sit here until 5.00pm until i get home and rip the pc part, unless i can blag a half day, how can i tell the staff that I'm going home and yeah i know it's really busy but answer the phone bey-atches! lol...doesn't seem fair.

Think what i might do is pull my old pc apart and use that as the HTPC, and the new stuff that I'm building I'll use as my main pc.

OK, where do i start with softcam and what do i need to read, install, download.....

: multi :

cards here, what fantastic service (only ordered it yesterday)! now i just have to sit here until 5.00pm until i get home and rip the pc part, unless i can blag a half day, how can i tell the staff that I'm going home and yeah i know it's really busy but answer the phone bey-atches! lol...doesn't seem fair.

Think what i might do is pull my old pc apart and use that as the HTPC, and the new stuff that I'm building I'll use as my main pc.

OK, where do i start with softcam and what do i need to read, install, download.....

: multi :

What software do you want to use? go http://vplug.baywords.com/2009/01/28/vplug241/ for the latest vplug

gigabyte Ga-M74GM-S2 AM2 - MB £51.47
AMD - DuelCore 6000+ Retail £70.84
500GB Deskstar HDD SATA2 16mb £41.99
1GB - nvidia 9400GT £39.99
pioneer Writer 115D £18.78
2 gig DDR2 pc6400 mem £19.99
CASE - £35.00

Total - £278.06
Looks sensible enough, although I would recommend you have a think about the case. I personally went for the Antec Fusion, which is extremely popular, but a little bit on the pricey side. KustomPCs.co.uk - Antec Fusion Remote HTPC Case Black

The case is specifically designed for quiet operation, and has a few other handy features many cheaper cases don't. And like I mentioned before, if peace and quiet is important to you, I'd also recommend you think about silent PSU and CPU cooling.

I'm curious about why you added the 9400GT. Will that give you the output you need?

First thing you'll want to do is a service scan, which means you'll have to manually create a transponder list with the frequencies for your area. Somebody posted a UK bruteforce for DVBviewer some time ago, which scans all frequencies, but takes forever as a result. You may be able to find it, unless it got cleared out during the big forum shake-up last year. If you can't, DVBviewer comes with a ton of ready-made ini files in the transponder folder, probably not for the UK, though, but you can look at the syntax and then create your own from the frequencies found in a Dbox/Dreambox services file.

If you are going the DVBviever route, use the transponders folder in the configuration folder, not the install folder. Don't bother with a dodgy copy of DVBviewer either, they don't work, and it's worth the 10-15 Euro, or whatever it costs these days. The process is more or less the same for Media Portal and most other DVB apps, although I don't remember what their specific ini files are called off the top of my head.

i suddenly feel inspired to ditch the dbox2 and build myself a HTPC....

nice updates from dibbers and excellent advice from ding dong

Once again thanks for all the input and that it's really appreciated.

The reason that i put that graphics card in was it was on the front as an offer and the guy in the shop circled the 256mb ATI Sapphire HD3450 low profile DVI card for £31.98, and then i was thinking well the bit of extra i would go for the nVidia one at £39.99.

Reason for that card

I can only get SVHS working from the laptop at the moment to my TV and i haven't got HDMI on it (old rear projection, scart lead type TV) saying that i have got the red/green/blue connector on the back of the TV and that gives a great picture on the xbox 360 - Sooooo, on my existing nvidia card i have a what looks like a svhs output but it has 7 or 8 pins instead of the 4 that a normal svhs lead has and that looks like it can then be out-putted to the red/green/blue connectors (the same that's on the back of the TV) via a connector that came with the card.

i have just got another dreambox and i have services and that saved on my pc so i should be able to find the stuff i need (i hope)....

DVBviewer

yeah don't mind paying the 15 euro for it......and i guess i'll have a look at it and see what the crack is with it.....

Thanks again for the usefulness and the time spent in helping me !

Back