Sensible Topic sky movies costs - now tv!

audiobookman

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi guys
Im wondering if anyone else has done this, we had virgin with sky sports, movies, 3 tivos, 120mb connection, unlimited calls, etc, etc, etc.
I very rarely look at my bills but when i got a letter saying the costs are going up YET again i decided to look more closely.
I realised we really never watch sports at all, all my football games are never shown on the sports channels, and i have to stream them though the net.
The majority of tv watched are on the either preview or payed for channels.
We very rarely make any calls now on the landline as our mobiles have more than enough mins and are always close to hand.

I was paying 145 per month, about to rise to 150!!!, which i think most people would agree is FAR too much

The one problem i found with sky movies was on the tivo they are buried a long way down the list, and navigating tivo is a real chore most of the time with its slow reaction times. If tivo was better designed and remembers where you last navigated insted of going to the top of the list every time it may have been a different story.

I would like to also add, i wont have sky, i have had problems with this company in the past and wont have a subscription to them ever again.

ANYWAYS, I decided to dump the sport and movie package, and the unlimited calls, our bills are now down to 80 per month (much more acceptable level).
I then thought were not actually loosing that many channels other than the movies, after a bit of a word with the wife she said she would rather have them but not at that price.

So i went out and got a Now tv box with 3 months inc subs.
What a difference in overall experiance, the now tv box is responsive, and clean and the quality is far superiour to tivo hd!!, even though its a stream.
And best of all its only 9 per month pay as you go as opposed to over 30 per month with a sub, plus the hd cost.

I really dont understand why its so cheap in comparison, it has all the channels and all the movies when you want to watch them. Added bonus is you can have plex and take the little box with you when travelling (not possible with a sky sub or virgin sub). Ive even streamed though my mobile phone as a test, it worked even though it wasnt true hd or sd for that matter, but it worked.

If the prices stay as they are then i will be sticking with the now tv, im even going to purchase another 2 to get the cheaper sub price with the units and also we have all 3 tvs with movies, the only problem is you can only stream to two machines at any given time and have 4 registered devices.

Im just gobsmacked that sky can charge massive amounts for the same service on different platforms.
Im saving approx 46 per month atm, soon to be 51 per month just by changing platforms, and lost the sport channels!.
Have a look and you will see what i mean.

Back