massive N00b Alert - Dibbers checking in

I can only get SVHS working from the laptop at the moment to my TV and i haven't got HDMI on it (old rear projection, scart lead type TV) saying that i have got the red/green/blue connector on the back of the TV and that gives a great picture on the xbox 360 - Sooooo, on my existing nvidia card i have a what looks like a svhs output but it has 7 or 8 pins instead of the 4 that a normal svhs lead has and that looks like it can then be out-putted to the red/green/blue connectors (the same that's on the back of the TV) via a connector that came with the card.
But are you sure you can't get a DVI/VGA to Component adaptor for less than what the 9400GT would cost you, so you can use the onboard graphics? Also, unless you got the fanless model, the noise level of the 9400GT is somewhere between moped and lawnmover.

that twinham u posted - i'm guessing it's a single input, so you'd need 2 for watching/recording at the same time?

i just want to be able to record at the same time i'm watching and record when i'm not in is the main reason that i have bought it, i'm not too fused about watching one show whilst recording another.

@ Sen Ding Dong

ok mate will look into a DVI/VGA to Component or you saying not to bother with a graphics card then and just have a look for a converter from VGA to Component? ( i think i seen a vga to scart but that would have to be made up)

No graphics card would be great i guess, cheaper as well.

EDIT ah just had a look and i have a VGA to Componant cable and when this is plugged in the laptop for now it makes a sound like it knows it's been connected and the screen changes yet it doesn't display on the tv. Yt when i have the 360 plugged into the back of the TV it boots up and the picture kicks in.....this is why i was using SVHS

d_2568.jpg

Last edited:
that twinham u posted - i'm guessing it's a single input, so you'd need 2 for watching/recording at the same time?
You can watch what you record with just a single card, you can even watch and record different channels on the same transponder, but if you need access to all the other channels while recording, you'll need two cards.

ok mate will look into a DVI/VGA to Component or you saying not to bother with a graphics card then and just have a look for a converter from VGA to Component?
I would think a simple adapter might do the trick, and that you could use the onboard VGA connector. DVI to component might be more expensive, but possible not more than the 9400GT card itself... and without the noise.

EDIT: Just saw your cable. Looks like that's exactly what you need. I'd try and troubleshoot and see if you can't get that to work. Maybe there's something funky going on with your laptop rather than the TV itself.

thats a good idea mate, will try and get that working, as i say when it's plugged in and that the lap top knows it's had a cable plugged in as it makes noise and then the screen changes to what you would expect to see when it's plugged into an external device. i do also have a component to scart adapter that i might try as well, and yeah I'll have a look on the lap-top and see what's going on..... this is why i thought I'd have to go down the graphics card route and use the SVHS output to the TV as from the lap top at the moment this is working on the TV.....but good call it may be the laptop that isn't sending a correct signal to the TV via VGA.

Thanks buddy.....

What OS are you going to use? I could not get the Twinham to work with vista

i was thinking of XP, i could also give vista a try since it will be a breand new build, what was wrong with vista.

I dont think that there are any BDA drivers for vista

ok no worries then, i was hoping to use media center but it looks like there's other software and that which is just as good if not better that works on XP

The twinhan works fine with vista, that is what I am using right now with DVBSBridge and VMC, I am using 32bit version, dont know if their are 64 bit drivers for this card

ah cool i have vista 32 bit version, you know what it is after all this i'm sitting here with the card and just can't pull my self around to pull this rig apart and start pulling cables about the room and that, think i'll try that tomorrow...loololol

ive been looking at this thread & am now very interested in this, señor ding dong can u pls post your setup(specs) & is there a tut on installing all software(cams etc.....) i want to really go the softcam route! ;)

ok i'm ripping this rig apart and getting the card in, still i'm struggling to get that lead working, plugged it into a spare pc and i'm not getting any output to tv via the componnant cable, gonna try this pc with the graphics card in it and also on board....i'll be back in 20 mins...ololol

ive been looking at this thread & am now very interested in this, señor ding dong can u pls post your setup(specs) & is there a tut on installing all software(cams etc.....) i want to really go the softcam route! ;)
AMD 64x2 4850e CPU (low power consumption), 780G based motherboard, sorry, I forget the exact model, but here's one of them AMD's New 780G Chipset Has Powerful GPU : AMD's New 780G Chipset - Review Tom's Hardware, 2gb RAM, Technotrend TT1500C, Antec Fusion case, DVBviewer Pro.

It also has a silent 430w PSU, and I believe I went for a Silent Knight II CPU cooler. The whole thing cost me around £350 at the time, but I didn't get all the bits from the cheapest place, so I suspect I could get it closer to £300. In fact, I'm probably going to prove that, as I just gave my box to a friend, so I'm building a new one myself some time over the next couple of weeks.

Depending on which DVB software you go for, they usually have very detailed setup instructions at their forums, and if you're looking for info on softcam installation, the DVBN forums probably isn't a bad place to start.

well i have it all installed, was a night mare, managed to short me NIC out and had to go buy a pci one and then come back and format this bitch..any hoo....i have it all installed and guess what can find bugger all..lol best go have a look at that forum that you have mentioned mate and see what the score is there.

The software that came with it scans and all that but doesn't pick up a thing. probbaly something to do with thetransponder and all that.

As for displaying this pc on a tv i have found that the composite lead just doesn't work. It goes into a scart that has red/green/blue on it but i can't get any thing to display, any way that's not the main concern at the mo, getting the card working is my new port of call...... i do notice that the signal level is 2% yeah i know scary, how ever even with the main feed into the card then it doesn't change.....

Cheers man

AMD 64x2 4850e CPU (low power consumption), 780G based motherboard, sorry, I forget the exact model, but here's one of them AMD's New 780G Chipset Has Powerful GPU : AMD's New 780G Chipset - Review Tom's Hardware, 2gb RAM, Technotrend TT1500C, Antec Fusion case, DVBviewer Pro.

It also has a silent 430w PSU, and I believe I went for a Silent Knight II CPU cooler. The whole thing cost me around £350 at the time, but I didn't get all the bits from the cheapest place, so I suspect I could get it closer to £300. In fact, I'm probably going to prove that, as I just gave my box to a friend, so I'm building a new one myself some time over the next couple of weeks.

Depending on which DVB software you go for, they usually have very detailed setup instructions at their forums, and if you're looking for info on softcam installation, the DVBN forums probably isn't a bad place to start.
Thx very much mate for the info, great stuff can u let me know where u get your stuff from when you decide to start your new build? cheers ;)

The software that came with it scans and all that but doesn't pick up a thing. probbaly something to do with thetransponder and all that.
Yes. you need to scan for the specific frequencies in your area, which is why you need to check your Dreambox/Dbox services files and configure your DVB app accordingly, but I wouldn't recommend you use the bundled software. If you get a copy of DVBviewer, I can walk you through the exact process.

As for displaying this pc on a tv i have found that the composite lead just doesn't work.
Composite is rubbish. What you want is component.

It goes into a scart that has red/green/blue on it but i can't get any thing to display
Doesn't the TV have 3 separate plugs for component? Only scart?

any way that's not the main concern at the mo, getting the card working is my new port of call...... i do notice that the signal level is 2% yeah i know scary, how ever even with the main feed into the card then it doesn't change.....
That doesn't sound too encouraging, although DVB cards are known for misreporting signal levels, so it might not be a problem.

i use a hardcam - an icecrypt white cam flashed to joker 0.79 and fun5 but have used rom11mosc (depends whether v*m are dicking about) had this around 2years and use a floppydtv which was 120euro with an exchange rate 1.6 at the time.
i use vista mce

i got an antec fusion black but there are better cases around now.
The board i use i gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H mb with a AMD FX-62 proceesor 3Gb DDRII ram....on board graphics and audio....ok for tv but if u are going to use it for gaming probably need a graphics card.
cooling tried the artic freezer 64 pro but it's very tall, but now use the amd stock heatsink and fan cool 'n quiet, 2 case fans on low setting, and noise ain't so bad.....plenty of vents on the case
oh aye, also Antec TruePower Trio 550W PSU

hope this helps

couple of screen shots posted ages ago, in fact during euro 2008

View attachment 45503

View attachment 45504

View attachment 45505

View attachment 45506

Last edited:
Nice1 neathdrew thx for your info very nice screenies too!!! ;)

Yes. you need to scan for the specific frequencies in your area, which is why you need to check your Dreambox/Dbox services files and configure your DVB app accordingly, but I wouldn't recommend you use the bundled software. If you get a copy of DVBviewer, I can walk you through the exact process.

ok up and running, it would seem that is was the old card i had in and that was conflicting with the cable card, fresh format and i've used dvbdream and scanned all the channels - of course all working except the pay per view ones for now.

Composite is rubbish. What you want is component.

sorry that's what i meant, using that lead that i have i can't get any thing working - tried laptop and this main pc. it goes from vga out to component and i've tried via a special scart plug and also direct into the back of the tv that my 360 runs perfect on.......

Doesn't the TV have 3 separate plugs for component? Only scart?

yeah it has, but as above that brand new lead that i ahve won't display any thing via the scart adaptor or direct....

That doesn't sound too encouraging, although DVB cards are known for misreporting signal levels, so it might not be a problem.

All working with dvbdream......so time for me to get the other working, i paid for it so will install it again........nearly there! nearly!

Back