massive N00b Alert - Dibbers checking in

woot!

last report on this thread. It's all working and it's sweet as a nut! had to install a few fixes, all the software and that is working it's mint!

DVB - viewer (still needs work as no channels found, think it's a transponder issue))
DVB - Dream - Works mint
Media Portal - Working and looks mint, just have to get the remote working now......when pressing left it goes up etc etc.

Then all i need to work on is

Softcam (will work on this when i come back)

...and getting a display on the TV, then it's HTPC time for me :silly:

A massive shout out to all that helped ( sen ding dong ) all your input has been invaluable ! mint man, thanks for all your time.....

Glad I could offer a few helpful pointers, and it's good to hear you're up and running.

Sorry was going to let the post drop off but thought I'd drop back in and give an update.

Got the card working great with the vplug and soft cam and it's mint picks everything up!

How ever, i thought I'd get the card working in XP 1st which i have managed to do and DVB-Viwer is all working mint, how ever I'd really like to get it working in media portal (getting softcam to work in media portal seems a little bitch but it can be done ) OR what would be really great is windows media center as i like the look of it.

How ever, i tried to install vista on my PC and ran into a few problems with my RAID setup as the drivers are quite old (one of them one's when your installing XP that you have to press F6 for 3rd party drivers) and they don't seem to be up to date for Vista.

So i installed VM workstation and installed Vista on that but the bloody thing wouldn't pick up the card after i waited a day or two for all the updates to be made to Vista on the Vm station.

So any way, I've got 3 options.

1.Build a new Vista HTPC and try and get soft cam working with WMC or Media Portal.

2.Install Vista on my pc using a standard disk and not my RAID setup.

3.Try the card on another machine that has Vista, but don't know any one with a Vista machine that could do that for me.

How ever what I'm thinking and it may be better in the long run is trying to get hard cam working with the card, so I'm speaking to the guy that i bought it off to discuss what hard cam options are available.

I know some one posted that they didn't have any problems with the card in Vista, so that's good to hear, but then I've heard people having problems with hard cams working on it.....the saga continues.......lolollolo

if i can get a hardcam to work then i'll stick Vista on my pc and see how WMC works on it, or if i know a hard cam will defo work i'll just go ahead and build a htpc

Last edited:
Keep us informed, but think that you will run into a brick wall with Vista

what do you think the problem will be with then mate? hardcam? drivers? windows media center? softcam? etc etc

The problem is there are no Vista BDA drivers

The twinhan works fine with vista, that is what I am using right now with DVBSBridge and VMC, I am using 32bit version, dont know if their are 64 bit drivers for this card

well charlie seems to have got it working in vista mate

yeah i seen that mate........good call.....i know what i'm going to do, so i can keep my current operating system and all that jazz, i'll pull out all the hard drives that i'm not using (like the raid set up and that) and i'll plop a hard drive in to boot vista from....that way when i'm finished reconnect drives and i'll be back to xp with everythign working.....

i got an antec fusion black but there are better cases around now.
I'm going to be building a new HTPC in the next couple of weeks, so I was wondering which cases you thought were better than the Antec, which I was extremely happy with.

I'm going to be building a new HTPC in the next couple of weeks, so I was wondering which cases you thought were better than the Antec, which I was extremely happy with.

hi m8 can u let us know what tv card u are going for this time? what kind of spec's do these htpc's need to be & why do most people go for the amd chip instead of the intel range?

hi m8 can u let us know what tv card u are going for this time? what kind of spec's do these htpc's need to be & why do most people go for the amd chip instead of the intel range?
I went for the AMD partly because of the 780g chipset on the motherboard, but also because the particular CPU I went for had very low power consumption. At the time, this was also one of the few dedicated HTPC boards around, that didn't have major issues.

As for the DVB card, I was planning to stick with Technotrend, but they seem to be difficult to find these days, so I haven't decided yet. Will probably try the Twinham mentioned elsewhere in this thread.

may well be asking a few questions soon. I have just won a terratec cinergy dvb-c on fleabay. looking forward to bbc HD for free

Just like to say my m8 got a twinhan cab same as dibbers got i went over installed dvbviewer put vplug,softcam and k*ys_vb in plugins
then i manually added the transponders and scanned it found everything but only fta worked

in vplug monitor it was finding 5d01 details when he is 5c01 looked everywere to try and find how to change it
i even edited the emm file to ignore 5d01 but it ignored me and carried on looking for 5d01 the fecker:Kickassro
i also put the correct details in the softcam file still would not clear
so i opened vplug monitor and in the second window i clicked on the active 5d01 line and edited the 16 digits to all zeros and saved....bingo it all cleared instantly:)
will have wait for a roll to see if au is working.

A big thanks goes to senor ding dong and dibbers for all there advice
thanks guys i would not of succeeded without your help:)

Last edited:
Back