MAC Sniffer (Digitalworldz Edition)

If that's the case I'd run a MAC from a modem your area supports through it and see what gives ;)

If I run a 100 MAC through it I get a list of 100 MAC's, same for 120, 200 and 250. I'm in Ex C&W area so not got any SB MACS to try but if you've got any it should work.

:)

its easier to explain with a little illustration....

your mac is 6 bytes (48 bits) long, 3 bytes (24 bits) are used to identifier the manufacturer, and the other 3 bytes (24 bits) are used as the serial number of the device. a manufacturer could make a 250 modem, a surfboard modem or a 100 modem, each with the same manufacturer code. but the first couple of bits for the serial number of the mac will be the same for each particular model of modem.

255 = 00:01:02:03:04:05
SB51000 = 00:01:02:07:08:09
100 = 00:01:02:11:22:33

its likely a manufacturer has a different manufacturer id for each modem model, but thats a different issue.

the point is.... my app uses the last byte of the mac, using the first 5 as a base, therefore, its gonna return macs based on the same model of modem as the original mac.

the app was intended to comply with the DOCSIS spec, but it was a rush job that never got finished, i think i only spent a weekend or 2 on it, and i could only really test it in an NTL area, martsmall and nozzer on DW helped me sort issues that were happening on TW but as for it working 100% in a TW i really dont know.

i know that gentlex has mentioned the possible issue with TW, but the next app im working on (when i have the time :() is based on the DOCSIS spec, so it should be plug and play with any area.

im also trying to figure out how to make an environment-aware modem, which will basically have my software as the firmware lol

hope this helps...

also, just to make this clear for everyone...

all macs returned work in your ubr, theres no yes or no about this -- they work in your ubr.

they might already be in use, causing conflicts, they might not, i know a way to find out, i just not implemented it, so... its pot luck for you at the moment.

im not sure why its different for TW users compared to NTL, *but* i will look into it when i can. i havent given up on this little project yet lol

thanks for the app. I think i must be doing somehting fundamentally wrong here.

When i run the program i put in a previously working mac (no longer works) and then click discover. The only mac it finds is my own (i.e the same old non working one). If i click bruteforce then discover it bruteforces the ambit and just gives me the next mac along ie if it ended in 3e the next one i get is 3f. The is also the same for the ip. Eg i;m 192.168.100.11 it gives next mac ending in 3f an 12 address.

Any ideas whats wrong here ?

thanks for the app. I think i must be doing somehting fundamentally wrong here.

When i run the program i put in a previously working mac (no longer works) and then click discover. The only mac it finds is my own (i.e the same old non working one). If i click bruteforce then discover it bruteforces the ambit and just gives me the next mac along ie if it ended in 3e the next one i get is 3f. The is also the same for the ip. Eg i;m 192.168.100.11 it gives next mac ending in 3f an 12 address.

Any ideas whats wrong here ?

are you usng a router ?

no router, just ambit (thus the 192.168.100.xxx addresses :proud:)

anyone any ideas as to why it isnt working for me ?

Thanks

If your IP is 192.168.100.XXX then you have not been allocated bandwidth and can't sniff the network.

You need a working MAC to start with.

I Take It Whenn You Open It .it Starts Sniffing For Macs By Itself

I Take It Whenn You Open It .it Starts Sniffing For Macs By Itself

From my experiance it seems to, although I usually Burute Force so that could trigger it ;) (it's not too much trouble to click the discover button anyway is it lol)

@ solster im getting this after i click discover on me subbed mac any ideas please

that means the mac format wasnt right mate.

make sure before clicking discover the mac looks like: 00:11:22:33:44:55

if that dont work let me know and i will have another looksy :)

I'm running Vista x64. I know its only a beta, but it wont work at all. I've tried running it in admin mode and also tried compatability (Win XP SP2) with no joy.
I'll have to give it a blast on one of my XP setups.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

Back