Low humming noise

Hearing is a strange thing, how it can be perceived differently from person to person or based on surroundings. Here is one of my stories

Lady brought a portable tv to my workshop complaining that it sometimes beeped at her. Soak tested it for a few hours with no problem and she duly came and picked it up. Twenty minutes later she rang me to say it was still doing it so I arranged to call round after work.
I was barely in her front door before realising the beep was from her smoke alarm whose battery needed replacing. Now this alarm was halfway up her stairs so how did she not hear it when she went to bed or didn't have the tv switched on?

She had put up with this "fault" for over a week!! I replaced the battery and added the soak test charge to her bill which I had previously waived, she was just happy to lose the noise :)
I have been called out on many occaisions for the same thing i.e stairlift reported as bleeping only to find the smoke alarm is the culprit

"I have been called out on many occaisions for the same thing i.e stairlift reported as bleeping only to find the smoke alarm is the culprit"

In my case I was called out a washing machine bleeping -- and it was the smoke alarm.. !

Back