Low humming noise

fus10n

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
For a while I've had a low humming noise which is barely audible in every room of the house. I've been able to sleep but found i was woken up by it a few times a night. Last night was terrible, i got NO sleep what so ever. It sounds like a car down the street in idle, constantly!

This morning i decided to go through every room in the house to check all appliances and once checked and found no noise i decided to turn of all the power at the leccy box. The noise is still there! So i'm thinking I'm safe to assume its not a power issue or anything electrical in my home.

Now I did some searching and some say it a phenomena called The Hum

But i'm sure its the neighbours boiler/water tank as it seems to be coming from across the wall. MY bedroom is in the attic, they don't use the attic for anything and when i put my ear to the wall i can hear 'the hum' and water sounds etc.

Is there anything else it can be or is my boiler assumption correct?

I tried using noise cancellation headphones and the noise is still there!

So i think your right Ianb! Weird how its just started up in the last few months!

I tried using noise cancellation headphones and the noise is still there!

So i think your right Ianb! Weird how its just started up in the last few months!

Tinnitus can just appear. Sometimes it can be from viruses.

Do the neighbors have an electric pump of some sort or a immersion heater/boiler in thier loft ?. I think your neighbors got air trapped in his system and loose pipes that need strapping back to the wall.

Take a listen to the video below and see if that's the same sound. I'm not saying him in the video has the remedy for you but it's funny you should say the hum is roughly coming from the neighbors boiler or header tank whichever they have.

I would have to knock and ask and try to eliminate other things. As for your ears ?, go someone else's house in the quite and if you still hear it then an hearing test would be a good idea but I'd like bet it's pipes. I have an inlet water pipe tucked nicely behind the kitchen units. The wall strap must have come lose and when the washer fills it bangs like fook.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have Tinnitus and get high pitch sound and white noise which keeps me awake if its very quite around me
try going to another place where its quite to see if you still hear the hum if you do then you know its ya ears if not then something in the house

My guess is that the neighbours are growing the sticky icky icky in the loft and running some extractor fans to hide the stink.
Suspending the fan on bungees and acoustic ducting can help to contain the hum, so I hear ;)

Ummmm, there might be something in that Hippie. You'd be surprised how many are growing these days. A m8 rented a property few years back and a working couple with kids who were renting it off him moved out in a bit of a rush and when he went into loft there was a fair sized growing setup. He never told the Police as they were 1/2 decent people and always paid on time and left the place in better nick than he did plus they left a 50" LED tv on the wall :)
1 thing, no matter what you do you cannot hide the smell. I think it's pipes or a boiler. I had a combi boiler pump that made that made a similar noise to this , turned out ot be the pump. When it was heating water up you got this noise;-
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I have developed tinnitus after an assault. You just have to learn to live with unfortunately as there is no cure at the moment. My is more of a high pitch hissing sound in both ears 24/7 :-(

I have developed tinnitus after an assault. You just have to learn to live with unfortunately as there is no cure at the moment. My is more of a high pitch hissing sound in both ears 24/7 :-(
yep I got it too high pitched worse when I'm stressed. I have also expierenced the hum as well

ok who was bending over? ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh aaaaaaaaaaa ummmmmmmmmmmm:eek::p:p:)
think my tinnitus years went years ago

Just spent the last 25 mins running about placing my ear to the neebs wall ,sound deffo seems to be coming from there house,..when im up and awake.....When in bed trying to sleep....It's from ..Television/Neighbours/Heaven/Hell/Cheap Android Tablet Charger,Fook knows but Ive tried the lot,surely if it tinnitus,then it would be stable when moving around the house etc....

Just spent the last 25 mins running about placing my ear to the neebs wall ,sound deffo seems to be coming from there house
😂

I spent the last 25 mins chassing her naked.
I wonder if thats the sound. LOL.
Surly the noise wasnt that loud from ireland to UK. 😂

Will buy grapes tomorrow. 😉

On a serious note.......

CB917B24-794F-4433-A51C-2291FE6FB222.jpeg

Last edited:
Go sit in the car engine off and if you can't hear jack sh!t it's next door. I'll bet it's some kind of pump or fan pipes etc coming for there gaff or like Hippie said, there growing.

If it's good sh!t can you get us and ounce ?

I had a similar experience a good few years ago. I had moved from a noisy city-centre flat to a quiet house in the suburbs and soon noticed this LF hum at night in bed. Like you @fusion I thought it had to be something in the house, tried switching off fridge, then all the power to the house- noise still there. Blamed the plumbing- turned off the water!! (I likened my noise to an old lorry struggling up a hill). Well it wasn't until a year or so later when I was staying at a friend's house in an equally quiet area that I realised it was me and not the house. Yep, the noise was still there, and still is 20+ years later.
I've had HF tinnitus for as long as I can remember. I recently did a job for a retired ENT doctor who confirmed the existence of LF tinnitus. Although it is quite unusual.

Hearing is a strange thing, how it can be perceived differently from person to person or based on surroundings. Here is one of my stories

Lady brought a portable tv to my workshop complaining that it sometimes beeped at her. Soak tested it for a few hours with no problem and she duly came and picked it up. Twenty minutes later she rang me to say it was still doing it so I arranged to call round after work.
I was barely in her front door before realising the beep was from her smoke alarm whose battery needed replacing. Now this alarm was halfway up her stairs so how did she not hear it when she went to bed or didn't have the tv switched on?

She had put up with this "fault" for over a week!! I replaced the battery and added the soak test charge to her bill which I had previously waived, she was just happy to lose the noise :)

Back