Looking towards buying a New Bike

Liam1611

Inactive User
Reaction score
As we've got a number of members who are avid cyclists and with it being time to retire my old Saracen Trace 1 (I've had it for 2 years now so time for a change) I'm looking towards buying a new one. I've had a look at quite a few around £600 such as the Felt Q620 and a Specialized Rockhopper. The problem is I can't decide on which one to buy on our Cycle To Work Scheme, or if any members can offer different suggestions to the 2 above, so if anyone can give me some ideas and offer alternatives it would be greatly appreciated. I don't use it for off roading just for riding up and down the pavements scaring pedestrians on my way to and from work which is approx 3 1/2 miles away, but I might consider some "light" off roading with my new purchase.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Liam1611

The reason why I want a new one is mainly because I don't have the spare cash to upgrade my existing bike, and I can get a new one at approx 40-50% less than the retail price with the Cycle To Work Scheme and after 12 months I own the bike and it will only cost in the region of £30 a month which I probably won't miss. I don't really want to spend time buying bits and building it up I'd rather buy one ready made and sell the Saracen once my new one arrives. The problem is I know the one that I have got is a good bike and reasonably well specced in comparison to what is available now and that's why I am struggling to pick one that's better than my original. I even considered buying your old one that's on here for a little while.

Regards

Liam

Last edited:
Are you sure you really need a new bike. Less than a 1,000(EDIT: afte the next post I admit my arithmetic is shocking, sorry) miles on your 'old' one & it sounds like you want us to convince you to buy a new one (not being cheeky mate, just saying).
I'd go with Mairy's suggestion & it'll feel like a new bike for a fraction of the cost. I'm pretty sure the shop you get the voucher for will let you buy bike parts rather than a complete bike. I know Halfords did for me previously on the Cycle to Work scheme. Admittedly I did buy a bike (2 actually) but got some extra cash on the voucher & I was able to buy anything from the shop, as long as it was for a bicycle i.e. not a car mechanic's toolbox or a Haynes manual for a motor.
HH.

Last edited:
I've just worked out that it's done 3600 miles over the past 2 years maybe even more, which works out as 3.5 x 2 (work and back) x 261 (weekdays Mon-Fri) x 2 (years). I didn't even realise I'd covered that much mileage in 2 years, and yes I ride to work regardless of the weather come rain or shine, and all that I've done to it in the past 2 years is change the headset, brake pads, hydraulic oil, rear sprocket and chain. It's been a great bike and I've not had any real trouble with it, I just want something that's maybe a little lighter and easier to pedal as I'm not getting any younger, and to actually use the bike for what it was originally intended for rather than road riding. I don't really want a road bike as I've had a hybrid before and it didn't stand up to the abuse.

Regards

Liam

Last edited:
We could only use Halfords for our Cycle To Work. 2nd time I used it (last year) I bought this one I ain't saying it's the best but I'm Very impressed with it.
HH.

Edit: Rockhopper looks sweet mate

Last edited:
Christ that cheap I didn't even considered Halfords partly because I think they are normally too expensive for what you get. I might pop down to my local one on my way home tomorrow. Thanks HappyH.

Regards

Liam

Christ that cheap I didn't even considered Halfords partly because I think they are normally too expensive for what you get. I might pop down to my local one on my way home tomorrow. Thanks HappyH.

Regards

Liam

So what did you get then?
HH.

penny-farthing_main.jpg

I've spent the past few weeks looking at different bikes and still can't truly decide which one to get, but the one that I still keep going back to is this I just need to get my gaffer to get his finger out and order it for me through the Cycle To Work scheme, and I don't think the Penny Farthing is that good at going Downhill, due to too much weight over the front wheel.

Regards

Liam

Last edited:
Hi liam, you won't go far wrong with the rockhopper. But the best advise I can give is to get yourself down to your local bike shop and test a load out. You'll know when you've found the right bike for you just from the feel of the ride it gives you. Bikes have slightly different traits due to geometry and their specs.

Back