Need a new media player

chookey

I have spoken
VIP Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I bought my Xtreamer 1080 many moons ago. It has done a wonderful job hooked up to my bedroom tv but it won't play mkv.265 files so it's time to retire it. I'm looking for suggestions for a mid priced media player.
All I've ever done with this was to download tv series etc; chuck them on usb and play them through the box. Any ideas on more modern media players with more functions gratefully received.

"Blessed be the fruit" :)

Check if the box has a new firmware upgrade ?

Well I've got a drive networked and Im using a Firestick to watch everything on it while I decide on a better option for the lounge, (firestick will then be used in the bedroom) I just downloaded apks from either amazon or playstore (sideloaded)Loads to choos from seen as its android and it plays everything inc .265 format. cheap reliable option for the bedroom

Actually already using a firestick in the bedroom as well as the media player, mainly as is an older tv non-smart. This desktop has only 2 ram slots with one of them no longer working so guessed I might set it up as a nas.
Not the most power efficient way of achieving what I want but would be available to my living room as well as the bedroom.

This desktop has only 2 ram slots with one of them no longer working so guessed I might set it up as a nas.

I was thinking of doing the same until i saw the system requirements "Freenas" needs

Let me know if you pull it off as my old desktop pc isnt even close to what "Freenas" requires.
I have a 6tb WD Cloud that does well.
I can record from my enigma 2 boxes and stream to my firesticks, watch downloaded content, music etc.
Works well.

Last edited:
Good post Kryton. I never knew the spec was so high, this desktop won't cut it, lol.
Thought people had done it with a raspberry pi so never really gave thought to the requirements.

Time for a rethink. New media player capable of playing HEVC or dedicated nas drive and have best of both worlds. My nas drive needn't be huge as I normally delete after watching. On the other hand if I were able to have it accessible outside of my network for my kids to access it I would require bigger drives.

Just spent a while here converting 5 episodes into mp4 for my night time viewing

Mate i would just go with a NAS drive.
You can pick a 2 or 4TB up for £130...Western Digital seem to be popular.

Mine works well, like i said, i can share recordings from my E2 boxes, i have shit loads of Films, Series that i can watch on any device,even away from home, and music. Plus storage for my PC games when i download them, it does everything i need without the drain on your electric bill that a pc would take.

I just plug my drive into my LG tv and it plays everything. I only use my android device for streaming now really, even though it can play most file formats.

I just plug my drive into my LG tv and it plays everything. I only use my android device for streaming now really, even though it can play most file formats.
My other tv, a Samsung Tizen 2016 won't play HEVC files either, fully updated.

Definitely cheaper to buy a new media player than a new TV I suppose.

If a tv is on the cards the sony androids are great. I have had one for 3 years and it’s great. 1 less remote also and Kodi works great on it for streaming from my nas. I don’t really bother with plugins.

Back