Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Latest news on the Ambits ???

I made the post because I myself was suffering from the same problems that a lot of others still seem to be having.
There are a lot of conflicting posts around on this topic, and I have tried them all I guess.
This way works 100% for me, and for the only other person I have been in contact with who has had the same hair pulling experiences.
For me it was try a bit from this post, with a bit from that post, then try some more.
Let me add to this now, to show how little I really know about this all.
I can use any 100 and 120 macs that are valid, on any of my 4 200 modems, all will work, take the software download, and stay online.
I have a 10 meg mac from a relative's subbed 200 modem, if i put that on a 200 modem, the modem takes the software update, but on rebooting, always boots image 2, and reports recovered configuration.. So the 10 meg mac is on image 1 and is ignored.
I don't get much time to read on here, but I will go read now till my eyes bleed :)

Smokin..o0O said:
I made the post because I myself was suffering from the same problems that a lot of others still seem to be having.
There are a lot of conflicting posts around on this topic, and I have tried them all I guess.
This way works 100% for me, and for the only other person I have been in contact with who has had the same hair pulling experiences.
For me it was try a bit from this post, with a bit from that post, then try some more.
Let me add to this now, to show how little I really know about this all.
I can use any 100 and 120 macs that are valid, on any of my 4 200 modems, all will work, take the software download, and stay online.
I have a 10 meg mac from a relative's subbed 200 modem, if i put that on a 200 modem, the modem takes the software update, but on rebooting, always boots image 2, and reports recovered configuration.. So the 10 meg mac is on image 1 and is ignored.
I don't get much time to read on here, but I will go read now till my eyes bleed :)

Thats good someone is doing there homework, we like to see this at DW really good of you to put it on. Cheers

I need to send my 200 to someone to have the chip taken out and flashed, i fecked it up with a corrupt flash :( (anyone wanna offer) ?

Smokin..o0O said:
I can confirm success doing a few 200 modems with the pre updated software flash, then changed mac to any 100 or 120 mac.
I did not do any mod to stop update, like max dload tries 0, as using a 100 or 120 mac on a 200 modem, the software it tried to download is incompatible, and the download will fail.
As soon as I have verified the mac in use is valid and has net access, I forced the download of the proper 200 firmware, which locks the modem, with the NTL logo visible on the 192.168.100.1 page, and all has worked flawlessly for over 4 weeks now.
As soon as you have flashed the pre update software to the modem,copy and paste this to your terminal prog.
cd non-vol
cd halif
mac_address 1 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
write
mac_address 2 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
write
mac_address 3 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
write
mac_address 4 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
write
mac_address 5 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
write
mac_address 6 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
write
mac_address 7 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
write
mac_address 8 xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
write
usb_mac_address xx:xx:xx:xx:xx:xx
write

replace the xx with the mac address you wish to use.
Increase the last digit of the usb mac by 1.
When you reboot the modem, check and find that mac address is fine and has connectivity, copy and paste the following in your terminal prog.

cd docsis_ctl
dload -i1 xx.xxx.xxx.xxx ntlhm200_ntl0001.cpr

replace the x's with the IP address viewable in your terminal prog when the modem connects while booting.

All the information above was found in this and other forums,and thanks goes to the original posters.
I hope this helps someone,
so, where you enter in the macs where you have all the XX's, is it just the same mac that gets entered in every line ??? and when you say the last digit on the usb one should be +1, do you mean if it ended in say number 3, then you would enter number 4 instead ???
Also, whats the usb mac all about anyway, my modem connects via ethernet ?

p.s
how do we force the update of the new firmware ?? dont it just update anyway when you put the modem online ???

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Smokin why after someone posts new news like the 250 and this do they go o thats old news. It aint been brought up once before on this forum.

thomson said:
so, where you enter in the macs where you have all the XX's, is it just the same mac that gets entered in every line ??? and when you say the last digit on the usb one should be +1, do you mean if it ended in say number 3, then you would enter number 4 instead ???
Also, whats the usb mac all about anyway, my modem connects via ethernet ?

p.s
how do we force the update of the new firmware ?? dont it just update anyway when you put the modem online ???

Hi Mate.
Sorry I didn't make it clearer. Enter the same mac address in all 8 mac entries, and also in the usb mac enty, and yes, if the last digit of the usb mac was number 3 then you would change it to number 4.

When you connect your modem with modded mac to the stream, it will try to download the update for whatever mac you used, so if you used a 120 mac, it will attempt to download the update for a 120 modem, which is not compatible with a 200 modem, so the dowload will be aborted.

So to download the proper update software for your 200 modem, use the following command and replace the xx's in the IP address with the proper IP address of the TFTP server that your modem connects to on stream.

cd docsis_ctl
dload -i1 xx.xxx.xxx.xxx ntlhm200_ntl0001.cpr

When this completes, you should have a 200 modem updated with the proper software, bearing the NTL logo, and still allowing you net access with the mac you gave it.

Smokin..o0O said:
So to download the proper update software for your 200 modem, use the following command and replace the xx's in the IP address with the proper IP address of the TFTP server that your modem connects to on stream.

cheers for info mate :)

But where do i find "with the proper IP address of the TFTP server that your modem connects to on stream" ??

And, does the modem stay on permanent mate, ive been messing with these modems for a while now and they keep going off, does the method you use keep them on permanent ??

since this mod,everyone i know who has a modem have only gone off once or twice,
what speed are you trying to get,as most areas only seem to have a couple of 10meg and it stands to reason everyone sniffing is trying to use these
ive found very little problem with mids
so in this case less seems to be more

smod99 said:
since this mod,everyone i know who has a modem have only gone off once or twice,
what speed are you trying to get,as most areas only seem to have a couple of 10meg and it stands to reason everyone sniffing is trying to use these
ive found very little problem with mids
so in this case less seems to be more

I am still running on old firmware for 2 months now, have 3 10 megs running like surfboards :proud:

thomson said:
cheers for info mate :)

But where do i find "with the proper IP address of the TFTP server that your modem connects to on stream" ??

And, does the modem stay on permanent mate, ive been messing with these modems for a while now and they keep going off, does the method you use keep them on permanent ??

can someone answer my questions please :)

You should be able to get your tftp IP from the internal web page.

cableguy69 said:

would this be with the subbed modem or modded modem online ??? iam not sure, its just that the guy says "the proper one" ???

In my area and all the surrounding areas I've looked at (in central scotland), the tftp server addy has always been the same as the dhcp server.

cableguy69 said:

ive looked in the internal web pages but cant see any tftp ip anywhere, iam on my subbed 250 though, could it be because ive got the 250 on that iam not seeing the tftp ip ??
Could you tell me exactly where to look please.

Also, it would be good if someone could do a full tutural on doing a 200 using this latest method and make it idiot proof too, Please guys :Cheers:

thomson said:
ive looked in the internal web pages but cant see any tftp ip anywhere, iam on my subbed 250 though, could it be because ive got the 250 on that iam not seeing the tftp ip ??
Could you tell me exactly where to look please.

Also, it would be good if someone could do a full tutural on doing a 200 using this latest method and make it idiot proof too, Please guys :Cheers:

I personaly do not like the updated tuts for the reason that they help the CC's more than any1!!

L33tpL4y4 said:
I personaly do not like the updated tuts for the reason that they help the CC's more than any1!!
i personally do like the tuts, lol, you think the CC's arent reading what we write in here anyway, course they do man, feck them :Chainsaw:

p.s
what about my last question there, any answers please :)

Back