Kryptview fix seizing up

pacman362

Inactive User
Reaction score
I posted this in another thread as well.

Guys i hate to knock it but this update is (i think) using the latest firmware before the hit yesterday and it is not stable just like the latest fix and the one before was on TW here in surrey ! when i say not stable i mean the box seizes up and displays 1 single number in the display and you will have to cold reset the box to get it back, this happens every three hours or so!!

Please if the auther of the new firmware is reading this please alter the original april-08 fix That is the only truely stable firmware for TW (or @ least here in surrey area).

People please reply with this problem if your boxes do the same.

I posted this in another thread as well.

Guys i hate to knock it but this update is (i think) using the latest firmware before the hit yesterday and it is not stable just like the latest fix and the one before was on TW here in surrey ! when i say not stable i mean the box seizes up and displays 1 single number in the display and you will have to cold reset the box to get it back, this happens every three hours or so!!

Please if the auther of the new firmware is reading this please alter the original april-08 fix That is the only truely stable firmware for TW (or @ least here in surrey area).

People please reply with this problem if your boxes do the same.

Looks like it's a quick patch applied to the last abominable firmware release.

Thanks for the fix, but FFS please sort out this ridiculous Firmware.

Can someone with some sense please apply this to older firmware that actually works.

My box has locked up 4 times tonight alone.

Glad im not the only one having this problem Witchy I posted various times before regaurding this fault before yesterdays hit but it seemed to fall on deaf ears ??

I would try to compile a new image using the 04-04-08 firmware if i had the tools to do it (but i don't) I just hope the auther of the fix will read this and use the APRIL patch and not any of the later ones.

No lock up problems experienced here other than getting the scrambled message on the screen now and again when changing channels.

Glad im not the only one having this problem Witchy I posted various times before regaurding this fault before yesterdays hit but it seemed to fall on deaf ears ??

I would try to compile a new image using the 04-04-08 firmware if i had the tools to do it (but i don't) I just hope the auther of the fix will read this and use the APRIL patch and not any of the later ones.

The guy that writes the EMU fixes is a proud member of this forum.

He feeds back to the team that writes the firmware, I know he has already pinpointed the problems with the last release.

It confounds me as to why they have chosen to released the fix on a code which also fails the same way as the last horrible release.

In the UK we have a fella that is the GOD of Kryptview (he is also the main guy behind 90% of all other box fixes), without him it would be resigned to the bottom of the scrapheap, it's a poor box, poorly executed and has developers that don't seem to listen.

Oh yes, it had a fix before any other, yes, well fucking done. The fix could be done at the same time for ALL boxes, but the guy behind it all has his own reasons for attempting to make poor hardware and firmware appear the best.

He claims not to be on the pay-roll of the Kryptview team, but IMO that bullshit.

You know who you are, Care to explain?

No lock up problems experienced here other than getting the scrambled message on the screen now and again when changing channels.

Are you TW and have you had the box running for 3 hours ??

Having the same problem on telewest in manchester,only done it once in the last 12 hours though,picture froze,got green screen and number 1 on display,had to reboot box at mains,not the end of the world though,at least there back up and running,thats the main thing!!,im sure they'll rectify this glitch in the not to distant future,its a small price to pay for having the channels back!:Cheers:

Last edited:
..... it would be resigned to the bottom of the scrapheap, it's a poor box, poorly executed and has developers that don't seem to listen.

Curious as to why you think this ???

The box hardware is pretty much similar to all the other boxes out there. They are mainly designed around a very limited number of chipsets and in nearly all cases use the chipsets manufacturers reference design with minor feature tweaks.

I guess what you must really be complaining about is the software but from what i've seen of it its deliberately made simple to be usable by idiots. If you want something thats complex and very configurable then you should be looking at dreambox etc.

my box has froze aswell had to turn off and on at mains and seem to be a few channels missin. have also noticed pic breaking up so its unwatchable on other channels. sure there will be a fix 4 this soon tho.

As stated the only reliable firmware is the firmware from 04-2008 this is absolutly fine so please please compile a fix using this firmware.

The box hardware is pretty much similar to all the other boxes out there. They are mainly designed around a very limited number of chipsets and in nearly all cases use the chipsets manufacturers reference design with minor feature tweaks.

I guess what you must really be complaining about is the software but from what i've seen of it its deliberately made simple to be usable by idiots. If you want something thats complex and very configurable then you should be looking at dreambox etc.

hear here,

i hate tinkering with dbox etc, im a total idiot when it comes to all that tinkering. krypt box is plug and play. simple! job done.

so far its been the best picture, best sound it compiles all the channels on its own, i dont need to sit and put them all in order after i scan. what do most people want from a box? free channels, no hassles. i have set up up loads for my friends and family, other than the last crash and this one. never have i had to fix them. so dont even start me on dbox or dreambox. this wee box does EXACTLY what is says on the tin!!

hear here,

i hate tinkering with dbox etc, im a total idiot when it comes to all that tinkering. krypt box is plug and play. simple! job done.

so far its been the best picture, best sound it compiles all the channels on its own, i dont need to sit and put them all in order after i scan. what do most people want from a box? free channels, no hassles. i have set up up loads for my friends and family, other than the last crash and this one. never have i had to fix them. so dont even start me on dbox or dreambox. this wee box does EXACTLY what is says on the tin!!

I agree :drink:

But the firmware releases @ the moment are not too good so we need a stable image please.

Hello

I have not got one of these boxes but I have read this topic with interest. I suggest that you use an hex editor or hex comparer.

Load the previous autorolling file, then load the current file and simply compare the two.
From this you will see the addreses where the files differ. If you were not happy with the previous file you will need to go back to the april file and edit the file with the current files amendments. Please believe me when I say that these updates are very difficult to do without the source code, even with the code it is not easy. I can understand your frustrations but everyone needs to be patient and understanding.

Best Regards To All

d

As stated the only reliable firmware is the firmware from 04-2008 this is absolutly fine so please please compile a fix using this firmware.

Sounds like we need a thread that properly describes any faults or niggles.

What is it thats so bad about the present software ?

Is it actually faulty in some way or is it that you just dont like the layout ?

No point answering in this thread - start a proper KV Firmware niggle thread.

Already own a few Dreambox and I've been debugging Dboxes long before you became a Mod on this forum.

However , this is not about the Linuxs boxes. So let's move on.

Kryptview.

It's not the worst on the market, ... but my fellow UK'ers behind this box told a pack of lies to sell it. - That was the only reason I bought a non-linux box.

It certainly has NOT the best tuner on the market - as was claimed , it has a cheap tuner capable (IMO) of a lesser SNR than a basic DBOX2/Dreambox which wasn' teven designed for the UK. - The tuner is shit.

A box designed for Germany and Austria running a PPC CPU @ 66Mhz far out perfroms the tuner is this pile of shit.

The Software is diabolical, it's fucking horrible - please FFS learn from the Linux team.

Yes we get updates befiore everyone else - woopeefucking doo! - It's still a sub-par box, the only reason we get updates on this pile of cack is because 'he who shall not be named' has decided to jump on the Kryptview bandwagon - he could quite as easily release the fix to Linux boxes at the same time, but choses not to "to teach the Linux community a lesson" .

Take from tnat what you want.

Mr.Kryptview fixer....PM me is you disagree. (lol)

Sounds like we need a thread that properly describes any faults or niggles.

What is it thats so bad about the present software ?

Is it actually faulty in some way or is it that you just dont like the layout ?

No point answering in this thread - start a proper KV Firmware niggle thread.

1. It appears to be based on the last update which locks up all Telewest boxes every hour.

2. The 'layout', what do you mean? Perhaps the OSD?
The OSD is shit, I cant surf and view my current channel - actually, I can, but the method involved is t's a complete pain in the arse - all I ask is for is the 'Devs' to look at the Linux boxes and try to learn from them.

Linux is a public OS designed and comnpiled by common people, the general public decide what works abd what doesn't - give the Linux community the Kryptview OS and they would vomit - it's fucking terrible.

It certainly has NOT the best tuner on the market - as was claimed , it has a cheap tuner capable (IMO) of a lesser SNR than a basic DBOX2/Dreambox which wasn' teven designed for the UK. - The tuner is shit.

I'm not really gonna comment about this as its outside my area. But I will say that i've seen it working in places that dbox/dreamboxes wont touch so I'd guess its more of a signal level range issue than anything else. Some parts of the UK seem to use excessively low signal levels (its only just above noise - especially if your on a low tap) whilst others use more European levels (guess its due to the legacy of multiple cable providers).

The only tuner that i'd really want to use in the UK is the same one thats used on the old Pace 1000 boxes but even then, its amazing how many times a VM engineer will have to up your signal level for even those boxes.

hmm, maybe part of the problem for a lot of people is the loss caused by splitters and extra cabling. If the cable was only set up for one connection initially then the power level may be quite low.

The Software is diabolical, it's fucking horrible - please FFS learn from the Linux team.

Well, this is where we really start to differ significantly !

The interface on the linux based boxes is utterly diabolical. It looks like its been designed by a two year old with no real idea of what should go where. Intuitive it aint !

You obviously like the complex clutter with lots of menu's that pop up with meaningless questions

I consider myself to be pretty technical but the UI on dbox/dreambox is enough to put me off using these boxes for watching TV. I'd never even consider recommending one to a non technical person

They are very useful for other purposes though ;)

Yes we get updates befiore everyone else - woopeefucking doo! - It's still a sub-par box, the only reason we get updates on this pile of cack is because 'he who shall not be named' has decided to jump on the Kryptview bandwagon - he could quite as easily release the fix to Linux boxes at the same time, but choses not to "to teach the Linux community a lesson" .

You really have a downer on these boxes for some reason. I guess you didn't get your dbox fixed quickly enough !

Things aren't always as easy or straightforward as you seem to think they are.

Last edited:
wow

sorry i got involved, some people hear and some people listen, some people read but don't see.
please feel free to interprete my words as you wish. I tried to offer sound advice.

good luck guys

Best Regards

dez

I'm not really gonna comment about this as its outside my area. But I will say that i've seen it working in places that dbox/dreamboxes wont touch so I'd guess its more of a signal level range issue than anything else. Some parts of the UK seem to use excessively low signal levels (its only just above noise - especially if your on a low tap) whilst others use more European levels (guess its due to the legacy of multiple cable providers).

The only tuner that i'd really want to use in the UK is the same one thats used on the old Pace 1000 boxes but even then, its amazing how many times a VM engineer will have to up your signal level for even those boxes.

RE: 1000 boxes, oh yes I've had great results with them, all my 1000 have been super. :)

RE: Kryptview... Come on mate, lol, I have a great signal and my Kryptview gives me great results (shame about the horrible software and daily lockup issues- lol ).

Like most Hobbyists, I buy and test every box just for fun and so far the user interface is extremely poor. Now I know that the OS plays a huge role on part of the tuner but either the tuner is horrible or the software is!?

My main gripe is, after years of upping the Linux box, I was convinced that this was THE box or the UK , so I decided to leave my trusty Linux and bought a Kryptview for my daughter .

She's not happy.

lol

hmm, maybe part of the problem for a lot of people is the loss caused by splitters and extra cabling. If the cable was only set up for one connection initially then the power level may be quite low.

Well, this is where we really start to differ significantly !

The interface on the linux based boxes is utterly diabolical. It looks like its been designed by a two year old with no real idea of what should go where. Intuitive it aint !

You obviously like the complex clutter with lots of menu's that pop up with meaningless questions

I consider myself to be pretty technical but the UI on dbox/dreambox is enough to put me off using these boxes for watching TV. I'd never even consider recommending one to a non technical person

They are very useful for other purposes though ;)

You really have a downer on these boxes for some reason. I guess you didn't get your dbox fixed quickly enough !

Things aren't always as easy or straightforward as you seem to think they are.

Last edited by a moderator:
My main gripe is, after years of upping the Linux box, I was convinced that this was THE box or the UK , so I decided to leave my trusty Linux and bought a Kryptview for my daughter .

lol, I see the problem !

You've got far too used to the dbox way of doing things. Its like getting a new car. Nothings in the right place and it doesn't respond how you expect it should.

As for the tuner problem, I dunno why you have that problem. Maybe its a quality control issue. That wouldn't suprise me considering the production costs of these boxes !

Back