Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Khan to face ring legend Barrera

NL7

Inactive User
Amir Khan will meet seven-time world champion Marco Antonio Barrera on 14 March at a unspecified British venue.

The 34-year-old Mexican is a former champion at three weights and has won 64 of his 71 fights.

"It's a big fight for Amir who's been champing at the bit. It's the right fight at this stage of his career," said promoter Frank Warren.

"It'll bring out the best in him. This puts him well and truly on the world stage," he added.

Squaring up to Barrera is undoubtedly the biggest test that Khan, 22, has faced so far in his career.

Last time out in December, Khan beat Irishman Oisin Fagan in his first bout since suffering the first loss of his career - a first-round knockout at the hands of Breidis Prescott last September.

The Olympic lightweight silver medallist split from trainer Jorge Rubio after that defeat and is now guided by Freddie Roach.

Barrera, who inflicted Prince Naseem Hamed's first career defeat in 2001, won his first world title in 1995, and over the years he has faced the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez and Erik Morales.

BBC SPORT | Boxing | Khan to face ring legend Barrera

There's a wee step up in class! Barrera may be passed his best but was a bloody good fighter in his pomp.
Should be a cracker (unless Barrera's coming over to plump out his pension fund.....)
HH.

:roflmao:

RIP Khan. This fight shows you what a farce Frank Warren has made out of boxing and what a puppet Khan is. Shambolic.

ha! khan is in for a thumping here. what the hell is warren thinking.

should be an interesting fight and one which khan can win if he goes about in the right manner. People always saying that he's fights journey-men, has-beens, no-hopers etc well this is a test for him. If khan wins, i hope people will accept that he's a good boxer with the potential to be one of the best p4p and not say that barrera was too old, too slow, over the hill, past his peak, not in his prime etc and thats why khan beat him..

should be an interesting fight and one which khan can win if he goes about in the right manner. People always saying that he's fights journey-men, has-beens, no-hopers etc well this is a test for him. If khan wins, i hope people will accept that he's a good boxer with the potential to be one of the best p4p and not say that barrera was too old, too slow, over the hill, past his peak, not in his prime etc and thats why khan beat him..

LOL Thats funny, wanna bet? I'll take your money..

Even if he nailed Barrera square on the jaw he would break his hand. If anyone else thinks Khan can win I'll take take any bets.

LOL Thats funny, wanna bet? I'll take your money..

Even if he nailed Barrera square on the jaw he would break his hand. If anyone else thinks Khan can win I'll take take any bets.

time will tell mate. His in the same camp as pacman, which means he's learning and sparring with the best p4p in the world. He's got a fantastic coach in freddie roach and he's got the talent. No doubt its going to hard and if he goes in like the prescott fight then he's a goner!

Khan's in a no win situation with people because when he fights against someone crap, he gets slated and then when he's put up against barrera people say its too soon and question why he's taking the fight...

Dint expect this from frank warren, bet he gave himself a huge pat on his back for pulling this off lol

He's got a fantastic coach in freddie roach and he's got the talent.

:Laugh: Talent, where?

In footballing terms he should be cleaning Barrera's boots and not trying to get into them.

My money is for Khan's head to be treated as a punching bag and the fight to end in a vicious KO. Khan will look great on Barrera's highlights video.

The only reason this fight is happening is Sly want their money back and they are trying to retrieve it all in one night as they know that Khan is all washed up.

:Laugh: Talent, where?

In footballing terms he should be cleaning Barrera's boots and not trying to get into them.

My money is for Khan's head to be treated as a punching bag and the fight to end in a vicious KO. Khan will look great on Barrera's highlights video.

The only reason this fight is happening is Sly want their money back and they are trying to retrieve it all in one night as they know that Khan is all washed up.

like i said mate, time will tell. Youth vs experience, should be good. You dont become a olympic silver medallist at the age of 17 without any talent...

Lol @ this fight. Barrera will show the world how much "skill" Khan has. I think warren is doing this now as its the only "hype" fight he can get. It doesn't really matter to warren now, the 10 fight deal is signed and in the bag. Expect to see him face similar types along the road.
Barrera is older now so Id guess at a 12 round pummelling rather than a KO. BTW just because you spar with someone doesn't make you at the same level.

For the record - When khan 1st came on the scene i was all ambitious for him, but after Willie Limmond knocked him out (ok he got back up BUT only after a slow count) i saw that he was well and truely over rated. Which TBH annoyed the hell out of me as i never usually fall for the Sly sports boxing hype. Khan was the 1st to fall through my strict selection process lol.
Sly sports have a belief - If we tell the viewer X is world class enough times then eventually the public with "buy" a few of his "Big" fights. It's usually at these "Big" fights that the poor public realise that their "Hero" was infact a fraud with a pair of boxing gloves.
Rant over.

Khan is fast and has power but he has a glass jaw, He needs a Calzaghe jaw lol!

I cannot see khan winning this.

Amir Khan will meet seven-time world champion Marco Antonio Barrera on 14 March at a unspecified British venue.

The 34-year-old Mexican is a former champion at three weights and has won 64 of his 71 fights.

"It's a big fight for Amir who's been champing at the bit. It's the right fight at this stage of his career," said promoter Frank Warren.

"It'll bring out the best in him. This puts him well and truly on the world stage," he added.

Squaring up to Barrera is undoubtedly the biggest test that Khan, 22, has faced so far in his career.

Last time out in December, Khan beat Irishman Oisin Fagan in his first bout since suffering the first loss of his career - a first-round knockout at the hands of Breidis Prescott last September.

The Olympic lightweight silver medallist split from trainer Jorge Rubio after that defeat and is now guided by Freddie Roach.

Barrera, who inflicted Prince Naseem Hamed's first career defeat in 2001, won his first world title in 1995, and over the years he has faced the likes of Manny Pacquiao, Juan Manuel Marquez and Erik Morales.

BBC SPORT | Boxing | Khan to face ring legend Barrera
heill no last five he is out of his depth wee tool

Amir Khan will meet seven-time world champion Marco Antonio Barrera on 14 March at a unspecified British venue...

Wow - just heard about this match-up.

Thought Barrera had retired after the 2nd fight with Pac? Feels like he's been around forever. Guess he wants a bit more of that spotlight (and cold cash money!) before he jacks it in.

Very interested to see how this fight plays out. Barrera is obviously now past his prime and doubt his engine is good anymore, but he'll still have his wicked counter punching skills and his dirty boxing.

Wow - just heard about this match-up.

Thought Barrera had retired after the 2nd fight with Pac? Feels like he's been around forever. Guess he wants a bit more of that spotlight (and cold cash money!) before he jacks it in.

Very interested to see how this fight plays out. Barrera is obviously now past his prime and doubt his engine is good anymore, but he'll still have his wicked counter punching skills and his dirty boxing.

C'mon Gargamel, cards on the table, who's gonna win it & when?
(had a look at oddschecker, best prices they reckon even money Khan to win & 13/10 your cash for Barrera)
HH.

big mistake by warren what was is he thinking khan has no chance of beating berrera unless he gaurds well and fights on his back foot.

berrara to win by ko round 3.

Back