Welcome to our community

Be apart of something great, join today!

Just ordered my etrayz! Anybody else brought an Xtreamer?

I'm waiting till after Christmas. Price is way to high for postage.. Looks good though can't wait..........

cheers jaff balls.. this is me fartin around at this very min with my xtreamer.. id just updated it with the other version so back to do this one lol how did u get on with the etrayz i think it was

My Etrayz is on its way, as is my internal hdd for it so I will let you know my findings when I get them.

Installed two old 500gb drives in RAID1 formation to make 1tb(ish) that was easy enough. Having a tough time getting things onto it as the http uploader restricts to 2gb files, the virtual drive software that is bundled is as slow as the FTP connection (1mb/s- 1 hour and 20 mins for a 4.7gb 720p film) I think I need cat6 a gigabit router and switch

first impressions are good though for fw v1. easy to use and amazing build quality.

Installed two old 500gb drives in RAID1 formation to make 1tb(ish) that was easy enough. Having a tough time getting things onto it as the http uploader restricts to 2gb files, the virtual drive software that is bundled is as slow as the FTP connection (1mb/s- 1 hour and 20 mins for a 4.7gb 720p film) I think I need cat6 a gigabit router and switch

first impressions are good though for fw v1. easy to use and amazing build quality.

Cheers hawish but that mostly flew over my head...lol. I haven't the foggiest about raid1 etc.

My idea of this is to store stuff for others on my home net to use and for others I wish outside my home net to grab some stuff if they need it.

I am looking forward to getting it.

btw...do you need to format a new hdd before installing it ???

How noisey is it ???

What make of hdd are you using ???

Cheers hawish but that mostly flew over my head...lol. I haven't the foggiest about raid1 etc.

sorry mate! tol you I had got my geek on lol you put two HDDs in the etrayz and you have the option to combine the storage capacity of both drives so they act as one big one (raid1) or have HDD2 always mimic the data on HDD1 so that if one failsyou have a backup(raid2)

My idea of this is to store stuff for others on my home net to use and for others I wish outside my home net to grab some stuff if they need it.
there is some propriatory stuff on there to install on all your users pcs and this gives them 24/7 access. There is also the option to act as a rapidshare server so you save the stuff to the etrayz and email the downloader a link to download from

I am looking forward to getting it.

btw...do you need to format a new hdd before installing it ???
no - the etrayz installer formats the drives automatically.

How noisey is it ???
Quiet but my hdds are noisy

What make of hdd are you using ???
seagates at 7200rpm. not sure of the exact model number as I ripped them out of couple of maxtor external usb hdds to get them lol

Hi guys i've just read this thread from start to finish and i'm still not sure what i want lol .
I was all set to get a wdtv live because i just want to stream hd movies from my pc to my tv (in the same room).Soooo what should i get an extreamer or the wdtv live . Never done this stuff before so any help would be gratefully received

Hi guys i've just read this thread from start to finish and i'm still not sure what i want lol .
I was all set to get a wdtv live because i just want to stream hd movies from my pc to my tv (in the same room).Soooo what should i get an extreamer or the wdtv live . Never done this stuff before so any help would be gratefully received

They are very similar beasts, wdtv live has better firmware coders , less bugs and better general operation at the minuite, but xtreamer is a young device and has a lot more potential in the long run.

Streaming wired with either product works fine at max 1080p resoloution.

I went for the xtreamer due to the potential and they have promised to make the utility open source so development will really kick off then. even if they dont make the firmware available to developers the hacking effort is now ticking alone nicely so we will get a good product one way or another.

Thanks hawkish ,so i guess for someone like me that just wants to stream videos from the pc the wdtv live is a better option, or am i going to want to get deeper into this stuff once i start lol

well the wdtv has no noisy fan on it so that is a big plus - the xtreamer fan is an annoying sort of loud so buying a passive cooler for it is to be budgeted for. if you can pick up a good deal on the WDTV it would probably work out better, and with the state of xtreamers coding skills its going to be a long wait on their product before it does even what it advertises to claim to do

Thanks for info hawkish, its very much appreciated.

I got my Etrayz today, it looks nice, lights are very bright though, its quite as a mouse with the F3 sammy which little_pob recommended (cheers again LP).

I like it already, set up was easy but I have never used a NAS before so its a learning curve for me, got to work out how to share the whole lot with approved users.

I have used rapidbox though and it works well but I would like not to have to send a link everytime. It sends me an email when I set up mail server but then loses all info again.

Hope the rest of you suss it out soon for me...lol

@Charlie...before Etrayz I would have had to flip a coin between WDTV and Xtreamer, I have both, if its just for a nice user interface you want it then go with wdtv but XT and ET offer a whole lot more.

Saw the XStreamer in action at a mates place yesterday. It looks a cracking bit of kit. Really impressed having seen it in the flesh, so to speak. Very tempted.

I'm very tempted to buy one also.. Price ATM is a little high.. So either a eteayz or a new sat box :) idfk

is everyones still playing youtube ? mine is

i presume mine is but have not checked yet, but it will be coming off as youtube has asked for it to be removed, thinks its already been removed from the popcorn hour machine too.

shame really as its nothing you cant use with any internet connection, i think its more to do with these companies using them as a feature or selling point and youtube not seeing any cut.

still not a big loss in my eyes i hardly used it anyway.

I checked it when I 1st got XT, ain't tried since because I don't use it. I won't miss it if it goes.

I am still reasonably happy with my XT, just needs jukebox and thats me sorted.

As for Etrayz, just a shiny brick at the minute, I am not even going to turn it back on until new firmware comes out for it.

As for Etrayz, just a shiny brick at the minute, I am not even going to turn it back on until new firmware comes out for it.

looks like you will be turning it back on at about the middle of next week then - hope nfs streaming is sorted :(

Back