Just ordered my etrayz! Anybody else brought an Xtreamer?

ms2005

Inactive User
Reaction score
I know it's not being shipped until the first week of December but tragically I'm actually a little bit excited about receiving it.

Need to sort some HDDs for it as at the moment I only have 1 500GB spare.

For the money I'm not sure you'll find a better specced NAS server

Got my Xtreamer last week and whilst I know it's in teething I'm very impressed with it at the moment. Hopefully the new FW due Friday will iron out a lot of issues.

Anybody else got a Xtreamer?

FOr those who have no idea what I am on about Xtreamer.Net - Home

My Xtreamer gets posted tomorrow, I have a WDTV box and its really good with plenty of support. Going to move that upstairs and keep the Xtreamer downstairs beside the router.

I am not sure about the etrayz, from what I have read its great value for money but I wouldn't know what to do with it so I may give it a miss.

Re: Just ordered my etrayz!

me and ive been telling others about it as a good alternative to popcorn hr.

the new firmwares will make it even better from what ive read.

I hope so.

They need to make it open source really.,

I was playing with Xtreamer Movie Jukebox last night and the images it creates are great and if you could view your movie collection like this and select the movie from the screen it would be perfect but at the mo it's nothing more than a png image run as a slideshow or appears on the right in the preview window.

I would also like to be able to just have a front menu of Movies, MUsic, Photos and then when you go in all your locations for each are mapped.

I would happily sit down and map it all for an hour.

TO access my NAS is a bit of a mission at the mo

Library, My Shortcuts, NAS, User, Movies, HD Select

Or even if the movie tab could be mapped to go directly to the Movie folder.

Room for improvement but for 99 euro, I did pay the £8 for the heatsink mind and boy am I glad I did, the fans are horrendous.

Re: Just ordered my etrayz!

I hope so.

They need to make it open source really.,

I was playing with Xtreamer Movie Jukebox last night and the images it creates are great and if you could view your movie collection like this and select the movie from the screen it would be perfect but at the mo it's nothing more than a png image run as a slideshow or appears on the right in the preview window.

I would also like to be able to just have a front menu of Movies, MUsic, Photos and then when you go in all your locations for each are mapped.

I would happily sit down and map it all for an hour.

TO access my NAS is a bit of a mission at the mo

Library, My Shortcuts, NAS, User, Movies, HD Select

Or even if the movie tab could be mapped to go directly to the Movie folder.

Room for improvement but for 99 euro, I did pay the £8 for the heatsink mind and boy am I glad I did, the fans are horrendous.

I wasn't even aware of that....drat, it will sound like the original xbox running xbmc. If it was open source it would be great because the WDTV has made huge jumps forward.

mine turned up today, got the passive cooler fitted in 5 mins and im playing with picassa on it right now!!!

I have also ordered etrayz and have to consider a couple ot 1tb or 1.5tb bad boys for it.

does anyone want to buy a dvico 4100?

Me too - I got mines delivered today. Been having a play. Upgraded the FW to V2.....thought I had bricked the thing as it halted half way through and wouldn't do a thing. But got hep in their forum and they have an "Emergency Firmware" for this situation. All is well now and Ive got to say the new firmware does make this a good peice of kit. (It was already good it is now even better) I also have my discounted EtrayZ on order, But I understand that these aren't shipping untill early December. All in all it is a nice piece of kit though which is now my newest toy.
Like I said I have only had it today so I have a shed load of files that need testing but its all good so far.
Go one lads get that FW updated.....you know you want to lol.

Has anyone successfully played 1080p high bitrate content via a LAN?

I think I will order the etrayz, even though I know diddly squat about nas drives, I watched the video and it looks good and the fact they will soon have an nzb client will be good. Nothing ventured nothing gained, I know I will learn something new anyway. I am only ordering it because others on here have ordered it and I can beg for help...lol

I was thinking of getting one of these for the wee ones room i have a popcorn hour in my room but i decided to get a wd tv instead as got a second hand one for cheap on ebay im going to fire on wdlxtv on it and use usb ethernet adaptor. Hope i made right decision.

I was thinking of getting one of these for the wee ones room i have a popcorn hour in my room but i decided to get a wd tv instead as got a second hand one for cheap on ebay im going to fire on wdlxtv on it and use usb ethernet adaptor. Hope i made right decision.

I have a WDTV with wdlxtv firmware on it and a few different add ons for movie info etc etc. I bought a usb ethernet adapter aswell but it is still in the packaging...lol, never got around to trying it out.

I am hoping the Xtreamer has the same type of support that WDTV has, even though its not open source.

Has anyone successfully played 1080p high bitrate content via a LAN?

it comes with free wireless n antenna but i never even hooked it up i chucked mine straight on the homeplugs, will have to test that one day.

it does play everything ive thrown at it though inc iso files. haven't found a thing it wont play yet inc HD.

it comes with free wireless n antenna but i never even hooked it up i chucked mine straight on the homeplugs, will have to test that one day.

it does play everything ive thrown at it though inc iso files. haven't found a thing it wont play yet inc HD.

I've never managed to get 1080p MKV's or BluRay rips to play via LAN smoothly let alone on a wireless connection(using a HTPC). I tried both the Popcorn Hours and neither worked 100%. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you've used it a while.

If this thing can play 1080p on a wireless connection it would be truly awesome.

I've never managed to get 1080p MKV's or BluRay rips to play via LAN smoothly let alone on a wireless connection(using a HTPC). I tried both the Popcorn Hours and neither worked 100%. I'd be interested to hear your thoughts once you've used it a while.

If this thing can play 1080p on a wireless connection it would be truly awesome.

its all good with the homeplugs munkey. Ive not got an N router so I cant test the dongle. Ive shot MKV to it via upnp and it is smooth, the remote however is cheap and nasty lol

Admittey I've only spent 5 mins with 2.0 but it seems a marked improvement.

I still want location mapping for videos etc. I think I read some place that making it open source is an option they are looking at. Would be decent as I think somebody would pick up the movie jukebox for example and knock it out.

Think if you buy online now you get the heatsink not the wifi which I would have preferred. Wireless was rubbish, i only have a g router but it couldn't even play a DIVX smoothly so a full MKV would be hopeless.

It's not playing nice with a lot of my wmv-HD films I concerted for the xbox 360.

Really think there is bucket loads of potential in this thing. Will hive the web features and stuff a run at the weekend.

Oh, also can't get it to shoe ID3 tags, only file names. Anybody any ideas? It's all set to go in settings.

Other than that, set my hostname up and DDNS and can access it smoothly from anywhere. Hopefully etrayz will be even better.

Last edited:
Mine arrived today, out of box and flashed 2.02 fw onto it. I like it, as ms2005 said, this has potential when they make it open source. I know they have a developement section now.

I would like it to be similar to xbmc, I know it doesnt have the same powerful processor as xbox but in the wdtv, you can just put a .jpg with same name as file and it shows, surely XT can do this and not have to have each file in a folder.

Looking forward to getting etrayz, even though it will be a learning curve for me, I know you lot are here to help me...:proud:

Back