Just ordered my etrayz! Anybody else brought an Xtreamer?

Its on the Xtreamer forum mate look under the modding tab.

**BTW Jaffa impressive language skills in the xtreamer forum (Swedish ect) :proud:

I am fluent it Gibbersih m8...:proud:

I made another skin, I think it looks good, but the wife insisted the Christmas one was put back on...:proud:

Looks good mate, but with reference to my earlier post, there is no way i am even allowed to take the Christmas theme off until its all over lol......You lot think im joking too lmao.:Cheers:

*** Youtube support will be removed from our units in next FW upgrade due to official request from Youtube.

Ouch! Glad I went for XBMC now :p

Ouch! Glad I went for XBMC now :p

Who needs Youtube on a media box, thats what a computer is for.

Theres no media box that will ever surpass XBMC, its the yardstick they are all judged on but none come close...but at saying that, the Xtreamer is a pretty good media box.

Who needs Youtube on a media box, thats what a computer is for.

Theres no media box that will ever surpass XBMC, its the yardstick they are all judged on but none come close...but at saying that, the Xtreamer is a pretty good media box.

Thats not the point though - They advertise the Xtreamer as open source then go and do that? Whos to say the won't take out other features when they feel like it?

That was what was putting me off getting one of them in the first place, since they basically control the software? or has that changed now?

wot if u dont update the f/w ?

I don't thinl it will matter Smirf, it probably won't connect but it's an interesting point for those that want Youtube.

@demonx...Xtreamer promised lots and haven't delivered on it yet, but most media boxes do that, WDTV is the same, if it wasn't for custom FW it would be sh1te.

Time will tell just how good the Xtreamer is, especially when the Etrayz arrive.

r u talkin about XBMC on the old xbox or a different media player ?

r u talkin about XBMC on the old xbox or a different media player ?

I was talking about the Linux version for the Acer Revo, umm.. but its not specific to just that.. you can run it on nearly anything! (well, gfx card needed ofc lol)

of course you need to customize for whatever you're running it on and if you're not good with linux then yeah... I can see why xstreamer is more appealing in that respect :)

I would also like to add it might even be worth looking into the 360.. since the Xbox 360 is now fully open to homebrew.. the next logical step is XBMC 360 hopefully :)

Just to point out before everyone rushes out to buy a xb360 for homebrew....the 360 is not fully opened as the exploit that exists has been effectively closed since the summer 09 system software updates. This is non reversible. IF you can find a XB360 that hasn't played a game that has the summer 09 update included nor has been on live since before summer 09 and hasn't got RROD lol then you amy be able to "play" with a fully opened XB360.

Hate to sound so negative but those are the facts at this point in time im afraid. I so wish they weren't but alas my box was updated and trying to find an "old" one that actually is reliable and working is going to be difficult. Im even more pissed as i sold on my previously banned XB360 (Banned this time last year) and that system would have ticked all the boxes......bah humbug !!!

xtreamer have now released the firmware under the GNU downloadable from their forums

They did that on Jan 2nd

XTMC anyone lol

Where can you get the atom motherboard for £40?

search for D945GCLF or D945GCLF2 ebuyer has them for £46 new!!!! and ive got them on ebay for £30 before now, i use them in cctv systems, granted they are not the ion ones, but they are atom mainboards all the same.

granted to play hd you will need one with an ion graphics card or get a pci version.

acer revos are superb, however for me they lack the storage space, i didnt want to have a revo and then a NAS box as well , i just got rid of my revo and my home built nas box (which is the spec i mentioned) , if your interested i used FREEBSD on the nas box, if your willing to get your hands a little dirty FREEBSD is the best NAS software imo going.

i have now upgraded to these for my system

case (you dont even want to know how much this cost lol)

Chenbro Micom Co., Ltd.

mainboard

Scan.co.uk: 90-MIBAN0-G0EAY0KZ - Asus AT3N7A-I, Nvidia ION, Atom N330 CPU, DDR2 667/800, SATA 3Gb/s, ITX, VGA

3 gig of ddrII i had knocking about.

1x 2.5 inch sata 320 gig hdd
1x 1.5 terrabyte 3.5 inch hdd
slimline dvdrw
xbox 1 media center remote control (adapted with a usb connector, but gonna solder it inside as that case has a space for an IR controller)

i use xbmc 9.04 (the latest on the website is 9.10 based on karmic koala , i suggest everyone stays away from this version for now while they bug bash)

here is a post i made over at xbmc forums, this post has settings that i use all the time on setup , so its more for me, but i posted there as a lot of things are covered.

XBMC Community Forum - View Single Post - xbmc 9.04 setting up NTS share and samba, plus xbox 1 remote

i basically setup xbmc linux, and got all misc settings done, then installed samba on it, then ftp ; VSFTPD (by default it has sftp which is ok but theres some overhead and ftp is faster for me, plus i like flashfxp and thats only just started supporting sftp)

i will at some point install apache on there as well, so for me, i mean i will always always build my stuff, and XBMC is the best media center in the world, so to combine it as a NAS as well (although not fully fledged, but hey its linux, it will do near anything you want, just install the packages) is great.

I am no linux god either, but google amd xbmc forums are your biggest helps.

:D

Last edited:
You got me hard then hawkish.

Why they wouldn't is beyond me. They don't seem like the type of company decicated to killing off hardware with new revisions (cough WD, cough HP, cough, sorry I have got a sore throat).

I nice neat little player like that with open firmware would be a dream. The flash memory would not be an issue either, merely write the core of XBMC to it, and have dirs with content/themes/plugins on the hard drive.

You got me hard then hawkish.

Why they wouldn't is beyond me. They don't seem like the type of company decicated to killing off hardware with new revisions (cough WD, cough HP, cough, sorry I have got a sore throat).

I nice neat little player like that with open firmware would be a dream. The flash memory would not be an issue either, merely write the core of XBMC to it, and have dirs with content/themes/plugins on the hard drive.

Considering XBMC was designed for x86 machines I don't think anyone is going to take the task to port it to obsecure hardware like what the xstreamer uses.

Theres nothing will compare to xmbc so theres no sense trying to be as good as it, simply because of the processor BUT there are other good media jukeboxes about and one day (hopefully soon) they will incorporate one.

I really like my xtreamer and have made a few skins now for it which make it look a hell of a lot better.

This really made me laugh out loud.

The offered me to be on the Dev team...pmsl, a knob like me. I would be out of my depth, I like tinkering and making skins but Dev team is beyond me.

I really like my xtreamer and have made a few skins now for it which make it look a hell of a lot better.

This really made me laugh out loud.

The offered me to be on the Dev team...pmsl, a knob like me. I would be out of my depth, I like tinkering and making skins but Dev team is beyond me.

Not really Jaffa mate, they obviously think you can add some nice GUI layouts etc, and perhaps don't have anybody onboard ATM that can do this...? Nothing to lose mate, go for it! You might a few freebies, or huge discounts to boot! ;)

Anyway, I've been watching this thread with interest, as I'm tempted by one of these little Gizmos myself. I could chuck all the nippers videos, amd missus films on there, and they could just do what's needed. That'll leave me my ReadyNAS duo purely for my needs such as backups and file serving.

Thing is, I'm just not sure. Somebody want to really sell it to me....? (The idea I mean!)

Not really Jaffa mate, they obviously think you can add some nice GUI layouts etc, and perhaps don't have anybody onboard ATM that can do this...? Nothing to lose mate, go for it! You might a few freebies, or huge discounts to boot! ;)

Anyway, I've been watching this thread with interest, as I'm tempted by one of these little Gizmos myself. I could chuck all the nippers videos, amd missus films on there, and they could just do what's needed. That'll leave me my ReadyNAS duo purely for my needs such as backups and file serving.

Thing is, I'm just not sure. Somebody want to really sell it to me....? (The idea I mean!)

I would love to be able to sell the idea to you but to be brutally honest (and I really like the Xtreamer) it just isn't what they advertised. No media jukebox yet or even a moviewall, you have to put each file/film in its own folder to get the jpeg to show the cover, that works ok but its not what it was supposed it be. Its good BUT not great (at the minute).

The Xtreamer works well, plays everything I have threw at it but the lack of a media jukebox lets it down...but I am now favoring it over the WDTV which I also have.

I Can't comment on Etrayz nas as mine is awaiting shipping but the beta testers are still playing with it.

I hope the whole product will be enhanced and I will keep you informed... as I am sure the rest of our members with Xt and ET will also.

As for Dev team...not for me, I really would be out of my depth and I wouldn't want to kid anyone, I only just re-installed photoshop CS4 to do the skins, thats how green I am to it all, I just made some skins for myself and decided to share, they have been downloaded a lot which is good and have been added to the SVN on Wiki...:banana:

Back