I've bought a new car :)

Don't think for a minute he hasn't got that big beast running on his own used chip fat.

BTW, if we are talking about the same chip van, I kinda like his stuff.
(Big guy with funny Falkirk/Aberdeen mixed accent)

:)

Aye, its surprisingly nice. It never came in to shawhead so I never new it existed till One day a few years back. We were in the mother in laws house and there it was. She couldnt understand how I never knew about it. Us shawhead ones must have been too poor so he never ventured in.

The smell was amazing. I can smell it now. Every wed its in her street.

Aye, its surprisingly nice. It never came in to shawhead so I never new it existed till One day a few years back. We were in the mother in laws house and there it was. She couldnt understand how I never knew about it. Us shawhead ones must have been too poor so he never ventured in.

he runs the van on used veg oil and fries his stuff in red diesel.

it's a f*cked up old world right enough.

He doesn't do Townhead either mate - that's where I live.

I know him from years back - The 80's believe it or not when he used to do the village of Plains up past Airdrie.

It was only a few yars ago that I was talking to someone from Kirkwood and they mentioned a great chip-van that did their area. Me, being a greedy bastard had to investigate and I found out it was the same bloke that used to serve me chips in the 80's.

He lives on the road between Longriggend and Slamannan, and grows his own spuds in the surrounding area!

Full Service history mate, the belt was done @ 70k IIRC.

It's the 1st ever car that has had golden oil in the engine when I lifted the dip stick, so it's obviously just had a filter and oil change too. :)

I know it's high mileage but with it being a Diesel I'm not worried about it.

1 previous owner from new and most of the miles are motorway miles anyway as he was a sales rep.
its not high mileage for a 6 yr old car
12,000 miles per yr = 72,000 plus it has full service history dont worry about it

I reckon I've bought a good car.

But can anyone tell me how much I paid for it?

someone i know got a 59 plate 1.6 petrol astra as a courtesy car, it is so uncomfortable and sooooo uneconomicle and guzzlez the fuel like there is no tommorow. i personally think it is not a verry good car too be honest, i think French or German cars have some of the best economicle and comfy cars around .

someone i know got a 59 plate 1.6 petrol astra as a courtesy car, it is so uncomfortable and sooooo uneconomicle and guzzlez the fuel like there is no tommorow. i personally think it is not a verry good car too be honest, i think French or German cars have some of the best economicle and comfy cars around .

I agree Petrol Ecotec engines aren't very economical, but they offer mid range performance and MPG, same as most other mid-range 1.6 petrol engines, nothing to get upset about, certainly not in the gas-guzzling league.

Uncomfortable?

Well, I suppose that's down to the individual driving the car wether their size fits all accessable driving postitions within the chosen vehicle, I'm 5' 11" and I find the Astra and Zafira very comfortable to drive.

Reliability?

Just look at WhatCar? and any other review organisation, have a look at how poor the French cars do for overall rating, at the VERY bottom of the table you'll find 3 French manufacturers.

I'd rather have a Ford Focus or Mondeo though, but they keep their price better that Vauxhalls.

As a side note.....I've been driving a Renault Megan 1.6s Petrol for the past week, it has 125,000 on the clock, it might have an ever so subtle shudder when ideling but I can tell you it is a solid motor, and with regular oil and air filter changes it'll see 200k and many more miles.

Auction £2200.

Arnold Clarke £3700.

Vardy £4999.

I've been to Central Car Auctions (Glasgow) a few times in the past few weeks.

I've seen some amazing bargains. I wanted to bid but I'm no mechanic, my knowledge is very limited. I'd probably end up buying a car because it "looked nice". lol

I got this car for £2900.

I've ran Vauxcheck on the ECU and there was 1 Pending error.

It was something to do with the fuel (mixture?), AFAIK 'pending' errors mean fook all as they can be caused by practically anything - even the weather!

Once pending erors are comfirmed by the ECU 3 or 4 times then they become real errors.

least one thing, we will smell you coming ;) might think its that chippy that does the rounds tho and have all the local weans chasing you round the schemes.

might be a new venture that Witchys Chippie :)

That's fackin beautiful. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PvvDj2fnKoQ"]Bill Conti's The Final Bell[/ame] playing in the background, witchy chugging along down a very narrow market lane dodging OAP's in their wheelchairs, all the village kids chasing him shouting witchy, witchy, witchy

It truly is a magical moment.

Back