Is Spiderbox still a good performing box with CCCAM etc ?

rp3X

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have had a Spiderbox for 2 years now and while its stable and great, even when using the best of places I can get the occasional glitch/freeze.

That's with good ECM times(123ms-200ms), excellent 14meg download/2meg upload and no internet being used.

But I just wanted to find out if spiderbox has good performing CCCAM/Newcamd performance, since I hear the dreamboxes/technomates have always been way better ?

Had my 9000 combo for about 18 months now and enjoyed every minute, ok the odd glitch now and then but on Plusnet using an Zyxel N300 router I really cant complain. When I get a glitch the recovery time is very short and I'm back in business viewing again. Cant say I would rate it as better or worse than a Dreambox or Technomate about the same I would think (I've had all three receivers at various times).

Had my 9000 combo for about 18 months now and enjoyed every minute, ok the odd glitch now and then but on Plusnet using an Zyxel N300 router I really cant complain. When I get a glitch the recovery time is very short and I'm back in business viewing again. Cant say I would rate it as better or worse than a Dreambox or Technomate about the same I would think (I've had all three receivers at various times).

thx thats surprising to hear, I remember quite a few folk on here use to say the cccam/newcamd was better optimised on the dreamboxes and technomates since they had been out longer so one would get a less glitch/freeze.

I admit the glitch/freeze is for only a sec it surely would not bother most folk but its also that reminder especially if watching a film and getting into it lol

I guess if one wants 100% stability/freeze free u gotta pay up

thx thats surprising to hear, I remember quite a few folk on here use to say the cccam/newcamd was better optimised on the dreamboxes and technomates since they had been out longer so one would get a less glitch/freeze.

I admit the glitch/freeze is for only a sec it surely would not bother most folk but its also that reminder especially if watching a film and getting into it lol

I guess if one wants 100% stability/freeze free u gotta pay up

Sadly true the only way to glitch free viewing is a sub but when you total up the number of subs on your line(s) it would cost an arm and a leg. Now just one point, I have posted before that if your "gift" period has come to an end turn OFF the Ethernet (service+) function as leaving it on causes glitches.

thx yes I switched if off when it expired

I have noticed even when one surfs the internet or streams from youtube, this can cause a feeze/glitch also its minor anyhow and last for a second, but it sorta makes me consider that having a 100% dedicated line could improve or fix it. Guess it needs exclusive 1st dibbs on the data and if ones on p2p or surfing/streaming a vid on a website that could be taking the bandwith 1st...

Guess will test it further... switch of the whole pc and see how it goes :)

I'm using a dreanbox with Cccam an it's completely glitch free....

Jay

get yourself a linux box m8, i have a vu+duo running mgcamd and c**am 2.1.04 and a dm800 pro(clone)and they are absolutley flawless and can count the number of glitches per day on 1 hand. there are a great deal of happy spiderbox owners but i had nothing but problems with mine... there are a few variables when using boxs that connect to the internet but since i switched to linux and got myself a couple of solid friends my boxes are excellent(untill i start messing with them LOL) regards mdt

Spiders still a decent box but imho a cline used in a spider with slight glitching will perform even better in a linux box. Tried enough of them to reach that view. Agree with Jimmy though no line no matter how good it is will be as a reliable as your own sub.

Yeah there seem to be many factors that come into play, currently on my line I get 128ms on 28e, I think that's a good number since others been alot higher....but not sure if that's a good number.

I also think that glitch/freeze can also be down to the internet bandwidth.... but its just a theory in my head could be wrong. Its just I have noticed when my spiderbox is trying to get access and lets say I am downloading torrents or doing some heavy HD or youbtube streaming I have definitely noticed the glitch/freeze a bit more.

Its like the spiderbox and perhaps others satboxes need to have the 1st access and 1st dibbs to bandwidth, but if its playing 2nd to a PC or Laptop that's already surfing/on the net it sorta gets congested and delayed, its a a well known computer issue and the only fix currently is if your router has QoS (quality of service) enabeled.

And as others here have said a linux and better satelite box can help out as well.

So were looking at 3 different issues that can cause the glitch/freeze !

Yeah there seem to be many factors that come into play, currently on my line I get 128ms on 28e, I think that's a good number since others been alot higher....but not sure if that's a good number.

I also think that glitch/freeze can also be down to the internet bandwidth.... but its just a theory in my head could be wrong. Its just I have noticed when my spiderbox is trying to get access and lets say I am downloading torrents or doing some heavy HD or youbtube streaming I have definitely noticed the glitch/freeze a bit more.

Its like the spiderbox and perhaps others satboxes need to have the 1st access and 1st dibbs to bandwidth, but if its playing 2nd to a PC or Laptop that's already surfing/on the net it sorta gets congested and delayed, its a a well known computer issue and the only fix currently is if your router has QoS (quality of service) enabeled.

And as others here have said a linux and better satelite box can help out as well.

So were looking at 3 different issues that can cause the glitch/freeze !

Its funny this cos i have the opposite effect i find my cccam more stable if im downloading on my pc very wierd

Brian

if you have qos on your router ,set your router to give the spider,dream priority with bandwidth.
I have vuo,dream and spiders which all run flawless although i know server is running to be optimized for spiderbox.the bother machines are far less fussy than spiderbox.linux based are much better for epg also but for someone new i would still tell them to go with spider with good line

if you have qos on your router ,set your router to give the spider,dream priority with bandwidth.
I have vuo,dream and spiders which all run flawless although i know server is running to be optimized for spiderbox.the bother machines are far less fussy than spiderbox.linux based are much better for epg also but for someone new i would still tell them to go with spider with good line

thx m8, good to speak to you again after a long time

Im back in the sat scene !

Im gonna look for a decent router with qos, but am trying a few other cccams out found one thats uber stable and oddly did not see a glitch/freeze once.

So its possible its all down to the line :) £40 for 3 months aint so shabby

If that is the case can save a bucket load of money and enjoy my spiderbox properly for 1st time in 2 years lol

TBH rp3X I think you have answered your own question yourself m8, oh and it is certainly not your router so dont waste any more of your money.

The problem still exists with some spiderboxes (like mine) where they are no good whatsoever with a cccam line. I've never had a problem with newcamd.
But you always get comments from likes of Manic that say its the line which is trying to deflect it away from the box. I've tested loads of boxes at my own cost and the only one that had glitches on the cccam line was the spidey. Newer ones seem ok, but like your posts have said you seem to have done everything and the tests you have done are all simila to the ones I did.
If you have a glitchy box you'll always have a glitchy box.
I ended up going the linux route as others suggested and never looked back.

But if you search through the spiderbox forum you'll see that everything you have been told to try to fix the glitches, have been said a hundred times before, over and over again. And yet; I have never once seen a post where a user has come back and said that it has permanently fixed the glitch problem.
I would enjoy the box for what you are getting, as it is a well made box, but I took mine offline after I put a tracer on my line and found the traffic going in and out of the spiderbox to be too much and probably the real cause of the problem it seems to broadcast everywhere. (There's a post somewhere on the forum where Digidude traced all the traffic)

yeah I tend to answer my own post alot lol

I dont think I will spend any money just yet, it does look like the line is the problem.

Its quite time consuming since I have noticed one can watch the screen for an hour and not see a glitch and then you may see 2-3 glitches/freezes within a minute, so logic goes out the window.

I did try this other line and it was flawless, had higher ecm times (180-2250) but way more stable it just felt like it was able to handle it better I was downloading @ 11meg and uploading and still did not see a glitch/freeze after 15 minutes....

What you mentioned about the spiderbox and traffic... that is interesting since I always felt the spiderbox is overworking somewhat and causing the issue itself, perhaps its just an excuse to go shopping on a new box ;)

@Kommander please clarify as I thought you had the SD5000 not a Spiderbox HD receiver. The two cannot be compared as you are well aware.

Just wanted to say I tried another line and its performance was excellent also, I did not see a single freeze/glitch after a good solid of 9hrs of telly over past 2 days.

It did however crash twice and one time disconnected for a minute and at 4am again this morning totally went dead at that point I went to bed;)

So for reliability a subb is best which is what I have with Virgin, but its good to know a spiderbox with the right line can reach stability to 99% perfection compared to an actual subb, I guess if one had 2 lines or a backup you would be golden.

My only main concern would be if your watching a great film and getting into it and it cuts lol but as I said a backup or 2 lines and with the right lines u can reach total stability and freeze/glitch free on a spiderbox:)

i know people that have had connection issues with lower cccam friendly spiderbox and 2 lines to same share def helps if disconnected it reconnects much quicker.
When you said crash did you loose connection or all services ?
I know a lot of people slag of spiderbox but compared to say the dream 800 i think its a better machine for someone just wanting a basic box for watching tv .I do have to say when i am in the caravan using my 3g dongle it does glitch every 30-40 secs which isnt good but either is my signal usually but i am going to try my vu+ duo the next time i am out to see if its spider causing issue but the reason i like the spider is in caravan it seems easier to tune using signal bar

i know people that have had connection issues with lower cccam friendly spiderbox and 2 lines to same share def helps if disconnected it reconnects much quicker.
When you said crash did you loose connection or all services ?
I know a lot of people slag of spiderbox but compared to say the dream 800 i think its a better machine for someone just wanting a basic box for watching tv .I do have to say when i am in the caravan using my 3g dongle it does glitch every 30-40 secs which isnt good but either is my signal usually but i am going to try my vu+ duo the next time i am out to see if its spider causing issue but the reason i like the spider is in caravan it seems easier to tune using signal bar

If your "gift" Ethernet connection has expired set Ethernet to OFF, failing to do this does give a regular recurring glitch.

If your "gift" Ethernet connection has expired set Ethernet to OFF, failing to do this does give a regular recurring glitch.

i think it is off but i never have this problem whenin house with mainstreasm broadband but thanks for advice
cheers chronoman

Back