Is it End for Dbox 2 Till Nagra 3 come's out???

what is this about. lol.. tht does not related to dbox 2..lol.. isn't it..
it's a comment on satansoft's apparent willingness to believe fairy stories

eg vm is prepared to cut regions of their network off from the rest of the country and spend months (and money) testing a new card and associated firmware - the idea that someone would accept that they would invest these resources with no intention of "benefiting" anyoen outside yorkshire beggars belief

but if people do want to believe such things then do they wanna buy a water powered car? or 3lbs of a prizewinning racehorse? or how about givign me £45000 in return for a cheque for 0.05p?

just a comment was all - completely undermines the point if i have to explain it lol

ohhh rite.. i get yeh.. at 1st i was like wat the hell. lol.. lol.. now i get it.. lol.lol

Ive read some stuff in my time but...... lol

I think we can safely assume that N3 or equivalent new encryption is on its way - its being trialed in Yorks and new cards are being put in with new installs and we can expect the swap out of cards in this area imminently. The old Pace boxes willl have no trouble using the new cards at all. Once VM are satisfied that everything is working as it should they will roll it out accross the rest of the network. I cant imagine they will do this before xmas but it would think all cards will be swapped out within 6-9 months judging how long card swaps took for satellite providers from start to finish.

I wouldnt hold your breath for any hack for cards or emu boxes as N3 has been proven secure all over Europe and now in North America over the last couple of months too.

Closed source boxes will be completely useless except for FTA as even if a hack was developed they will want to sell you a new box !!!

I guess C/S will become big business and paid servers will spring up as they have in America - no doubt VM will do their best to kill this avenue off too!!

Smalll groups of friends sharing a sub would probably be a lot safer and more reliable!!

Linux boxes will come into their own !!

If the cards of Ng3 starting in Yorkshires.. why not ask any1 in digitalworldz users who lives in yorkshires to answer weather they have new cards yet.. then we all can judge weather it's true or not that ng3 is out..

simple... am i right.. lol...or not.. lol..

Theres a sticky in the sat section. Linux receivers can c/s unlike closed source receivers, so I wouldnt expect to see a drastic price decrease on linux receivers, but would for closed source receivers

lol, any box thats programmed for it can handle cardsharing the same as they can handle just about any other cam. The only thing they would require is some form of I/O to allow physical connection to a network device.

In a lot of places cardsharing is actually now far more prevelant on closed source boxes than it ever was on linux based open source receivers. Its really only Europe that seems to have this strange hangup with open-source.

lol, any box thats programmed for it can handle cardsharing the same as they can handle just about any other cam. The only thing they would require is some form of I/O to allow physical connection to a network device.
Ah, I do know that,but tell me on our current closed source receivers-Eurovox's, Starviews etc..., do they have ethernet ports? I know for sat, you have stuff like the Protek 9600ip, predator 8700 etc... but on cable theres no such system :D Of course, you'd rather share sat than cable, but there are some places in Ireland owned by NTL, where you cant put up a sat dish

In a lot of places cardsharing is actually now far more prevelant on closed source boxes than it ever was on linux based open source receivers. Its really only Europe that seems to have this strange hangup with open-source.
It would be nice if there was something for Sky UK cheaply to stop those moaners not wanting to put up a motorised dish :D

Ah, I do know that,but tell me on our current closed source receivers-Eurovox's, Starviews etc..., do they have ethernet ports?

No particular reason they need an ethernet port built in. As long as they have some form of I/O (USB, serial, parallel etc) then an adaptor can be made easily enough.

It would be nice if there was something for Sky UK cheaply to stop those moaners not wanting to put up a motorised dish :D

There may well be, although for the moaners I doubt if cheap will be good enough. They will undoubtably want it for free !

No particular reason they need an ethernet port built in. As long as they have some form of I/O (USB, serial, parallel etc) then an adaptor can be made easily enough.
So, I take it if with a USB stick, you get a wireless one, you could c/s with them? Personally, I believe that when n3/IPTV does come, closed source cable receiver manufacturers will add an ethernet port or support the USB a bit more :D but not support older receivers. Also tbh, serial and parallel are a bit outdated now and their wires tend to be much thicker than ethernet-and most people would rather have wireless, but you can get wifi adapters for ethernet, so I believe ethernet or USB is the way forwards-Never before did I think that USB could be the way forwards

There may well be, although for the moaners I doubt if cheap will be good enough. They will undoubtably want it for free !

If someone makes a receiver connected to a server and charges £200, I bet loads of people would buy it lol. But these c/s closed source receivers for the good packages do tend to be quite expensive like the predator 8700

So, I take it if with a USB stick, you get a wireless one, you could c/s with them?

In theory, I see no reason why something like that shouldn't work. If the box has a USB port then a fairly simple firmware change could easily provide support for a wireless USB dongle or even one of the mobile phone dongles. Some very interesting possibilities !

In theory, I see no reason why something like that shouldn't work. If the box has a USB port then a fairly simple firmware change could easily provide support for a wireless USB dongle or even one of the mobile phone dongles. Some very interesting possibilities !

i know absolutely nohing about c/s but say u have a subbed cable card and a device with an i/o port, ie etnernet dbox2....
do u link ur subbed box to the dbox?
or do u need the bk of the subbed box and use a different device?
what do u need to do to get the info from the card to the dbox?

also a pc / dvb-c card could also work?

appreciate any advice

cheers

Everyone is jumping the gun a bit assuming its NAg3, personally i cant see it being nag 3.

Why fork out loads of money for a new encryption when they have already announced they will be switching to IPTV using Cisco hardware and technologies?

I think its 2 things and the second is so daft i am sure it will catch some ppl out.

first i think is to improve their interactive service somehow.

the second one is, we know VM are not the brightest, i bet by the introduction of a new card they will get loads of calls from ppl with illegal boxes stating they don't have a card or even a card slot lol thus being caught out.

i think the prophesies of doom are just a tad premature atm.

Everyone is jumping the gun a bit assuming its NAg3, personally i cant see it being nag 3.

Why fork out loads of money for a new encryption when they have already announced they will be switching to IPTV using Cisco hardware and technologies?

I think its 2 things and the second is so daft i am sure it will catch some ppl out.

first i think is to improve their interactive service somehow.

the second one is, we know VM are not the brightest, i bet by the introduction of a new card they will get loads of calls from ppl with illegal boxes stating they don't have a card or even a card slot lol thus being caught out.

i think the prophesies of doom are just a tad premature atm.

Im with you on that one mate. The amount of boxes that have been in the cupboard that dont work and the card will be useless. Only thing iswhen the card is swapped in to the new box, I take it it will have to log it at vermin end to activate, so save 50% of the new cards dont activate then there must be a problem.

Just a thought as I dont have much knowledge on that side of it.

I am only basing that on that fact that I had a box and was in a box for over a year. I decided to put in on the weans spare room and it wouldnt work, so I called them and a engineer out and he could tell there wasnt any updates done on the box for some time. I just told him I never used it as I do have sly in main room. So he never questioned it after that.

So if vermin start calling people and asking hows the service? Aye great all channels working for my sub!!!! vermin sorry but your card has not been activated yet how are you viewing tv ??

Last edited:
smart cards have been issued in west yorks and letters sent out saying to those who havnt received it yet it will be here by the end of november

smart cards have been issued in west yorks and letters sent out saying to those who havnt received it yet it will be here by the end of november

If they're only just rolling them out in Yorks now I reckon the rest of the country have got at least xmas left in our boxes, (if it is indeed a new encrytion technique)? Doubt very much if they could or would roll it out nationwide before the xmas break now.

Last year a similar thing happened on satellite, it will be coming, but whether it will get sorted anytime soon afterwards is another issue.

Back