Ip Address and setup

teracir

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi,

I am trying to confirm my understaning of IP address and would greatfully appriciate your input.

Right, my router has an external IP address but as well as this I also have LAN IP address which is internal to my network
e.g.,

Router IP: 81:xx:xxx:xx
LAN IP: 192.168.x.x

each of my PC/ laptop is asisgned a LAN Ip eg

laptop: 192.168.5.2
dreambox: 192.168.5.3

Right, I have a Netgear WGR614 router, so to have a static IP address required for cs, I change settings on my wifi card setup and insert the DNS server information
eg. 192.168.5.50

q: why do I need to set my laptop wifi to static IP address? why not only on the dreambox?
if I change settings on the dreambox and disable DHCP and manually assign an address, when I use no-ip to setup web address, which IP address do I use, the static laptop one or dreambox one?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi mate.

I'd start by deleting your external IP address from your post, that one that begins with 81...
Your PC doesn't need a static IP address, just your dreambox.

When you're setting up your dyndns or no IP service, you need to feed it your external IP address.

Your Dreambox is only given a static IP for the purposes of port forwarding so that your clients can connect to the right place.

Of course, this is assuming you want to set up a server. If you just want to be a client, then just run your cline and off you go.

Hope this helps

Back