Install OS over cross over cable to poorly laptop

maggot

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi Guys

right I need some real good help with this one, I work with computers everyday so have a little knowledge but this is going to take somthing special.

basically I have a laptop that I need to install as OS on for whatever reason installing via a USB keeps failing after lots of attempts and for some other odd reason the DVD drive is not working.

I have no OS on there at the moment so im getting a Missing BOOTMGR error on each boot, as I have said I cannot boot from cd / dvd

this leaves me one option, install over a network connect, Im guessing I will have to use a crossover cable.....

I have another laptop that I canuse to transefer the files all I need is the know how ????

is there a way ?

other info -

I have tried repairing the old installtion this cant be done as there is no installation listed
fixmbr, fixos and all the other standed fix options have also been tried and not worked

it was running 7 just fine with a few minor issues such as no optical drive other than that no mjor issues so it should be ok, its just getting an os back on the bloody thing :)

the way i did similar some years ago was to put hdd in another machine format drive and put dos 6.22 on first partition and copy contents of o/s cd to second partition.

then put drive back in laptop boot to dos and then installed win over dos, this was back in the day when laptops didnt have cd/dvd and external optical s where far to expensive. probably win2000 not sure if win7 will load from dos mmmmmm

i would just go and buy an external usb dvd -rw i got one off ebay a few months back £15 i think, saves all hassle and brain power lol

Back