[INFO/TIP] Dbox Online Media Streamer

just a note that might be useful for some, I followed PT's instructions to get VLC HTTP server autostarting on boot, and although the service was added to my startup service list it was not started by default, I right clicked on my computer, clicked on manage, expanded services and applications, clicked on services and then found the VLC service, I then right clicked and started the service !

@ chris the way to check is to point your browser at this addy

http://127.0.0.1:8080/ or just click on the link

if you get VLC all is good if not, you probably need to do what I have done

PS im still narrowing it down but the apache server is not compatible with one of the following as it is trying to use the same incoming port 0.0.0.43 or something

ORB
TVversity

it's pretty cool but has some 16:9 issues but im looking into that

Thanks, found the service and started it.
I get the VLC on http://127.0.0.1:8080/ and I can see the scripts here http://youripaddress:8083/requests/scripts

With windows firewall ONLY I get an error "failed to connect" but since I started the service and removed VLC from my startup folder bitdefender asked if it should be allowed, OK, and it scanning away.

Got an error on BBCi A to Z catagory C, rest ok.

Now for streaming, it just says buffering................ on BBCi so i'll have a look through the rest.

At least thats most of the issues sorted, also not tried it without the firewall yet but its not really a solution.

What a great app ,works a treat
iplayer on my 40" in the living room , instead of the office on a 19" :banana:
Thanks PT-1 great find

What a great app ,works a treat
iplayer on my 40" in the living room , instead of the office on a 19" :banana:
Thanks PT-1 great find

All thanks to FreddyFrog, Haenchen(Tuxbox) and JohnSto (XBMC Board)

All thanks to FreddyFrog, Haenchen(Tuxbox) and JohnSto (XBMC Board)

thanks to the above and to you too PT1 for going to the trouble of translating for us.

PS I have narrowed it down to SKYPE being incompatible with the Apache servers port

Last edited:
I was wondering, if the Dbox is essentially a linux based computer, why cant we load the linux version of VLC onto it and do away with the need for a computer all together !

sorry if this is a stupid question

iplayer_stream.php is in requests/scripts/inc. I edited the BBC - onDemand.php script and progress made but still no streaming. My network/movieplayer may be the issue now. I've attached the edited version if somebody else wants to give it a go.

abaddon

I tried to use this but it just sits at buffering for me !!

I was wondering, if the Dbox is essentially a linux based computer, why cant we load the linux version of VLC onto it and do away with the need for a computer all together !

sorry if this is a stupid question

Because it only got a 66Mhz Processor

PS I have narrowed it down to SKYPE being incompatible with the Apache servers port

Hi Ice coffee .
I found the same problem .
You probably know but others may not ,but you can take one of the ticks out of the connection tab in skype (stops it using port 443 ).
doesnt seem to cause any problems for me.
Jase

Hi Ice coffee .
I found the same problem .
You probably know but others may not ,but you can take one of the ticks out of the connection tab in skype (stops it using port 443 ).
doesnt seem to cause any problems for me.
Jase

Thanks I was going to look into that today !

@ PT1 fair comment

I guess my dream box would be a fast Dbox with a 100Mb network card , built in hard drive and High def capable, although the Dbox does very well for it's age and spec !

Last edited:
Ok, got it sorted now and I can get YouTube but not BBCi.

Also the audio drifts out of sync and is very noticable by the end of the clip.

Has anyone tried creating new php files for different (English) sites, or modified the German into English? It's on my to-do list but just wondered if anyone else was doing it.

thought this thread deserves a bump!

Had no luck with bbc but you tube,apple,etc working fine.Anyone aware of any more progress on this?

Trying to write my own code by reverse engineering the php scripts, not having much luck but I haven't spent much time on this. Edited the text into English to make it easier to understand but thats all.

My main problem seems to be debugging the code, i'm using Notepad++ to edit which has helped and use the apache admin interface through internet explorer but I think I need to start a fresh file rather than edit an existing one to a new website.

I also don't just want links, I would like to search the sites so for now I will try to add the scripts folder to my shared folder list (on the PC) and mount the shared folder on the dBox then (I hope) I can edit the php with the dBox.
Is it possible to add a html text box script into the php script that can be viewed by the dBox via VLC and Apache.

Trying to write my own code by reverse engineering the php scripts, not having much luck but I haven't spent much time on this. Edited the text into English to make it easier to understand but thats all.

My main problem seems to be debugging the code, i'm using Notepad++ to edit which has helped and use the apache admin interface through internet explorer but I think I need to start a fresh file rather than edit an existing one to a new website.

I also don't just want links, I would like to search the sites so for now I will try to add the scripts folder to my shared folder list (on the PC) and mount the shared folder on the dBox then (I hope) I can edit the php with the dBox.
Is it possible to add a html text box script into the php script that can be viewed by the dBox via VLC and Apache.

I have no idea what your talking about, but if you want your Dbox to display text on the screen as a result of a message sent from the computer, then I suggest you find out how they make this work, "images attached"

Pic 1 = Yweb screen
Pic 2 = TV screen

I cant get this to work :S done as it is said and changed the port on the dbox to 8083 does the ip need changing to 127.0.0.1 ??? or do i leave it as 10.10.10.10 ??

And also for some reason once i start movie player i cant get back to the main screen? ( it goes back auto after a while)

Just tried changing port also and that just says connection failed!!!

The bbci.php file do i just open that with vlc?

Tried all sorts of ways to get it to work and nothing..
Changed ip of dbox in movie player settings to and from 10.10.10.10 to 127.0.0.1 port 8083
get instant connection failed on 127 and it just hangs on 10.10

Same in vlc when using either the wizard etc tried same ips etc and still nothing HELP!!! hehe

gah i hate being beaten...

no mate the ip needs to be the pc address
something like "192.168.0.2"
all depends on what the ip is

@Chris_digital

Create a file called apache.sh and apache.cfg

apache.sh:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

apache.cfg:

Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

And copy both of them into /var/tuxbox/plugins and reboot the Box

On my Image I can open them via:

Dbox Key
Scripts
and then select apache-info

Right im goin to give this a try over the weekend if a get some time can anyone give me any pointers how i coulsd

@Chris_digital
Create a file called apache.sh and apache.cfg

I tried mapping the scripts folder and then edditing the text with the dBox, works ok but its not like a keyboard and it might be faster to go and edit the scripts on the PC. I'll give your suggestion a go, thanks.

Also whats with the delay whilst it gets the video file lists, its instant on the PC, is it due to the Apache server interface or dBox?

Had a look at the ITV Catchup script, I might try it over the weekend it's given me a few ideas (if I can get my head around php).

Sorted the speed issue, I was pressing OK, not LEFT arrow to get into the folders. Now its faster.

BBCi still not working, I get some sync problems with YouTube and Buffering keeps appearing during playback. I'm on Virgin 20Mb internet (although it runs most of the time at 5Mb), 10-100 Intranet with CAT6e Cables to the dBox and wireless (at 54Mb with speed boost to a claimed 125Mb) and still get buffering issues, is there any way to buffer more video, where is it stored?

The Video will be stored on the PC and VLC re-compress into MPEG1

Back