[Info/Tip] VLC with Dbox Movieplayer

pt-1

Inactive User
Reaction score
OK Guys,

some usefull Information;-)

As I have struggeled today to use the New VLC Feature with Windows XP and the Latest Dbox Images I shall quickly explain how to resolve this.

Basically the Dbox is now able to directely connect to a PC running VLC

You will need an Image that has been created after the 05.03.2007
You will need VLC at least Version 0.85 better 0.86

Install VLC on your PC
After the installation I set my VLC as a Service so it always runs in the Background:

Just open a Command Window (Click on Start,Click on Run, Type CMD and hit Enter and then browse to the location were you have installed VNC)

vlc.exe -I ntservice --ntservice-install --ntservice-options "--sout-transcode-fps 25.0000" --ntservice-extraintf "http"

After this reboot your PC. After the Reboot you can browse to VLC via http://127.0.0.0:8080

Now on your Dbox set the Movieplayer Settings:
VLC_Movieplayer_02.PNG
Photo from the YWeb Interface

The Streaming PC is the PC were you run VLC
You might need to set the default Gateway and DNS within the network settings of the Dbox.

Default gateway & dns is normally the IP of your Router
(Click on Start,Click on Run, Type CMD and hit Enter then type IPConfig /all and note the Details)

The Start Drive is were you keep your Movies. It must be set but you can browse out of this directory and open all drives attached to your PC.

Important is that the OK Button on a Directory scans the whole directory and this my take a while in case of My Documents (Example !)

Use the -> Key or Button to browse into a subdirectory to avaoid this scanning process.

In my Example my Films weres stored:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

Movieplayer could not browse this directory and only showed me this:
VLC_Movieplayer_00.PNG

Pressing OK got me here:

VLC_Movieplayer_01.PNG

This can be fixed by using an Application called Junction. You find it -->here<--

This only works with NTFS drives !!!

You can use it the following way:

C:\tmp>junction "c:\Movies" "C:\Documents and Settings\Hans\My Documents\My Videos"

This Example works the following

I have the file junction.exe within /tmp

C:\Movies is the new directory I want to Link to C:\Documents and Settings\Hans\My Documents\My Videos

Please pay attention to the " as they are needed if there are spaces between the names.

The Standard Directory for Moviebrowser to be set is c:\movies ;-)

Last edited:
Papst updated the VLC/Movieplayer section again as many users complained that when you select the OK Button on a Directory it automatically scan's all it's contents.

You can now select in the Moviebrowser Settings if you want that Option or not.

It gives you the option via YES to scan all contents and start playing the 1st one and then play the following ones.

moviplayervlcmultiselecur2.png

Last edited:
Unfortunately does posting in this forum not highlight a Hyperlink...

I have highlighted via --> <-- the actual link that I posted on day one ;-)

Oops, missed that, lol

Back