Im Gob Smacked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its getting crazy.

The school where my daughter goes handed out forms where if parents want their children off school for Eid (muslim fast) then they were to sign the form and they are allowed a day out.

Dont get that for other religions. Doesnt matter how many there are, for all other religions, they have to be treated the same. I dont mind the form being sent out but you cant favour one over the other.

When I was a lad, I had a mixed school and had muslim friends. But I dont recall no one going PC and I dont believe anyone minded back then. So why go PC now, just beyond me.

I can understand respecting other beliefs but going OTT on PC is crazy.
Remember dudley council who banned pig toys and calendars after a complaint from a muslim?
Ok, that person has a right to complain but should of at least had some common sense.

No more piglet in Winnie the pooh? http://www.brusselsjournal.com/node/396

send the kid in with snails and see what they say then

Not flaming Hamba or anyone else for that matter. But with that said id just like to point out that teaching our children "tolerance" of others beliefs and cultures Must start at school. It goes both ways too, IE the parents who "may" be offended can teach their kids that other children from other cultures can and do eat meat that is not Halal or whatever. They can then teach their kids the why's and what not and even the difference between COE and Muslim beliefs. At the same time the COE kids can get to eat their meat and be taught that while it is fine for our/their religion/culture to eat meat it is not fine for all cultures.

This could be done as a parent teacher sort of thing. Either way it is the sort of thing that will stick in a kids mind. Now we have to ask ourself what do we want our kids remembering from their 1st school xmas party ?
1. We couldn't eat meat because..... Or
2. We could eat meat but my friend couldn't because......

Out of the two choices i would pick no.2 - But it shouldn't even need mentioned in all reality, But if needs must.......
Thing is i feel so sad for these kids as what sort of school life are they heading for ? Where a small group of kids will end up in seclusion rather than intergating properly and just making friends like all kids do.

A sad state of affairs indeed.

Not flaming Hamba or anyone else for that matter. But with that said id just like to point out that teaching our children "tolerance" of others beliefs and cultures Must start at school. It goes both ways too, IE the parents who "may" be offended can teach their kids that other children from other cultures can and do eat meat that is not Halal or whatever. They can then teach their kids the why's and what not and even the difference between COE and Muslim beliefs. At the same time the COE kids can get to eat their meat and be taught that while it is fine for our/their religion/culture to eat meat it is not fine for all cultures.

This could be done as a parent teacher sort of thing. Either way it is the sort of thing that will stick in a kids mind. Now we have to ask ourself what do we want our kids remembering from their 1st school xmas party ?
1. We couldn't eat meat because..... Or
2. We could eat meat but my friend couldn't because......

Out of the two choices i would pick no.2 - But it shouldn't even need mentioned in all reality, But if needs must.......
Thing is i feel so sad for these kids as what sort of school life are they heading for ? Where a small group of kids will end up in seclusion rather than intergating properly and just making friends like all kids do.

A sad state of affairs indeed.

What an exellent post m8. I could not agree more.

Just like to add that I am a vegetrian (by religion) and I do not object to people eating meat in front of me and I definatly would not object to my kids attending a school party where meat was availible. I know that most of my friends and family who are also vegeterians would not also object.

I think this is crazy and schools are taking this way too far!!!

I like your thinking Diddy!

I think the problems arise when people aren't consulted.

If schools, teachers, etc., are planning to change things in this way then there should be consultation and debate and discisions made that reflect the views of the parents.

If the parents can't be convinced of the validity of something then it shouldn't go ahead.

Just more PC nonsense A Christmas party at a C of E school in a Christian country, If you don't like it leave your free to do so, if you like it here then do as the Romans do.

Diddy's comment about it going both ways is the nub of the deeper problem from my point of view. As a white cultural christian I am constantly reminded that tolerance of other faiths and cultures is a requirement in modern society, and I have no argument with that. But equally I think that members of other faiths and cultures should be expected to be tolerant of my beliefs and culture.

Unfortunately to even try and articulate such a point of view runs the risk of accusations of racism and bigotry and for this reason institutions such as schools find it much safer to appease the minority than to uphold the rights of the majority. This is not the fault of the minority groups, it's the result of the risk-averse culture that seems to have grown here over the last 10-15 years. I don't know what the answer is, I just know that acquiescing to all these cultural erosions is not it.

Well said nightowl... typical of the meely mouthed liberals that are in charge of our institutions and civil services. I'm sure it was fun at the time but I partially blame the hippy culture of the '60s. Great life rules for a youth generation but these are now the middle aged people in policy making positions in our institutions.

Deeply afraid of offending any minority to the point where they happily offend the majority.

Well all I can say is that I am disgusted at this school. I do know that at my school this would not be tolorated by the parents and there would be uproar .Forgodsake its a childs christmas party .Who cares what they eat as long as they have fun

i think it is foooooking ridiculous when you have to pussfoot around every different religion,no offense but if they dont like it who cares,when i go to other countries i respect there religion and beliefs they should do the same

i think it is foooooking ridiculous when you have to pussfoot around every different religion,no offense but if they dont like it who cares,when i go to other countries i respect there religion and beliefs they should do the same

I couldnt have said it better bro

we are in the uk the old saying when in rome , every body should adhere to and respect our beliefs and cultural values , and not bend over backwards to try and please everybody else i have 3 girls @ school im just waiting for this case senreo to happen @ thier school and i will be writing to the board of gonverners and my local mp , for starters then the papers ABSOLUTY DISGUSTING

The bottom line is THIS IS THE UK if people don't like what do in the uk then don't come here .Multicultural Britain ?? i never voted for that in my life !! what right has our government got for imposing that on us .Where did it say on anyones political mandate that i had to agree to a multicultural society ? Dont get me wrong , i don't mind people coming to live here but i do object to us having to change our traditions and way of life to fit them .No other country in the world would let this happen .Can you imagine an Islamic country toning down its religious festivals so as not not to upset set Christians NO WAY

No meat so not to offend other people's beliefs? What about ours? If people with different beliefs can't take it into consideration then stay home from the Christmas party. It's not like they're going to be forced to eat it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back