hp pavillion dv9700 wont power on

suds

DW Member ++
Reaction score
i have a hp pavillion dv9700. problem is a couple of days ago it started randomly turning itself of would power back up for a while then do the same again.now it wont power up at all.their is power going to it as power light is on.read an old post it could be an overheating issue due to a load of dust or stuff in the fan.problem is to get to fan is a bit of a rigmaroll.and i am not to confident at stripping it all down.anyone know if this could be the prob or is it goosed alltogether now.thanks.

thanks turner brown.do you know if this is an expensive repair and is it worth while on this as its a few years old now

It's more likely the GPU than the CPU. Common fault on board mounted nvidia mGPUs at the time. Inadequate cooling of the GPU meant that it would lift from the board over time. HP seemed to suffer from it more than most, but refused to acknowledge the problem as a warranty repair.

You probably need a reflow, but you might be lucky and get away with just the copper shim fix. Otherwise it's either a reball (were tha GPU is removed from the board, cleaned and resoldered using solder with a higher melting point) or new laptop.

the overheating issue of the gpu is usually easy to spot. when u press power button the lights all come on as they normally would but u get no video. i fixed mine with the copper shim a heat shield from a strongbow can and a electric paint stripper.. the help of instructions from utube

thanks for the replys might have a go at taking it to bits at the weekend.should their be any visual signs of whats causing the power failure?

when you get the board out look side on at the heat sink there is normally a gap between the heatsink and the gpu i use to reflow when it happened to me but it dont last long the solder is lead free and easyly cracks at certain tempretures. I have a g6000 here at the moment with the same problem although i have since brought the kit to reball gpu and some leaded solder balls but its not easy as it sounds/looks to reball the gpu i am on my 4th go at tryin to get the balls back on the gpu but they keep gettin stuck in the stencil.....

Back