Dell Inspiron 5010 - weird power on issue.

matty125

Member ++
Reaction score
HI,

After years of loyal service my laptop has developed a strange hardware problem, which I cant seem to to the bottom of...

When powering up from battery (replaced within the last 3 months), its has the 7 beeps of death [hardware/cpu fault) and wont post, however if the mains lead is plugged in (and battery still attached) it boots normally! Directly after the post I am able to remove the power lead and the laptop continues to function as normal. The battery shows as fully charged and lasts a good couple of hours in use... Does anyone have any ideas what stops it passing the post when on battery only?

I also have a older Dell 7010 which utilises the same battery type and the fault can be recreated even when swapping over the two batteries?

Many thanks for any suggestions...

Have you tried hard reset to remove residual power?
Check the Dell website for beep code diagnostics.

Hi thanks for the prompt response. Yes I've removed the battery whilst holding the power button to remove residual power and the beeps indicate a motherboard/CPU failure which is a common fault one this particular model but it seems to work perfectly when connected or booted from the power lead which I don't understand... Surely the fault should be consistent regardless of power type ?

Yes dell site says 7 beeps on inspiron is mobo/cpu fault.

Try battery health status in bios. Power on and Press F2 on dell logo screen.

Then try status in diagnostics. Press F12 on dell logo screen. In one time boot menu select diagnostics and press enter key. Respond to prompts during diagnosis. Review test results.

Take the battery out and see if it boots ok from the power supply only

Where did you get the battery from (hope not Fleebay) ?

Thanks for the offers of help..

To answer the questions, there doesn't seem to be battery health setting in the bios, and the diagnostics routine finished fine (no error reported) both with and without the battery installed...

Also the laptop boots fine without the battery connected - the replacement battery was purchased from Aliexpress about 3 or 4 months ago? however as mentioned the fault can still be recreated when swapping the battery over from my other machine a Dell 7010...

Thanks..

Back