HP PC won't power on

Joe Noodles

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have an HP PC it was on but when I came back down stairs it was off
now it won't power on at all, no lights, nothing
have tried 2 new power leads but still nothing
any suggestions what it could be? or I could try?
TIA Joe

still would power back on as it would be set to turn off if got to hot and then if you had fried something you would have at least got power light
try an atx power supply reset ,
Shut down the computer and disconnect all external devices including the keyboard mouse.
Unplug the power cord.
Press the "Power" button and hold it for at least 15 seconds.
Reconnect the power cord but do not reconnect the external devices yet.
Turn on your computer and see if it boots normally.

still would power back on as it would be set to turn off if got to hot and then if you had fried something you would have at least got power light
try an atx power supply reset ,
Shut down the computer and disconnect all external devices including the keyboard mouse.
Unplug the power cord.
Press the "Power" button and hold it for at least 15 seconds.
Reconnect the power cord but do not reconnect the external devices yet.
Turn on your computer and see if it boots normally.
Ya I tried that as seen a video about it, no joy
have tried a few times also, and 2 new power kettle plugs
even changed the 2032 battery no joy

Give this a try Joe worth a shot ?

Take your memory out give the sockets a clean out but when replacing just use one

Worth a shot you might have a duff memory stick is slot 1?

try jump start the power supply
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

With any luck it will be the psu fooked

Used to work in a local pc shop a few years back and this was the gadget to use to check psu , not much point if you're not repairing them but handy to have , Green for go Red for fooked

psu.PNG

Basic brake down

Check psu , remove any hard drives and GPU if it has one built in on the M/B , change memory , seen a lot M/B braking down and very little cpu's

But was in the pc hope so we had plenty of spare parts in the back shop to check

It was a refurb that I bought in July last year, the 12 month warranty has gone, It only cost £99
just ordered another one, hopefuly I can use the hard drive from old one in the new one if not I'll just get a caddy for it
I should be able as both have same HDs but might have some problems with drivers/apps etc
as long I can get most of my stuff/files of it I'm happy
I'll keep it and maybe get a new PSU for it if thats the problem
Thanks for all the suggestions guys

Had a close neighbour bring his mobo for me to check. He'd had it in a shop who gave up.

First thing I do when I get absolutely nothing from a motherboard is to disconnect the cpu supply connectors. This caused various other lights and fans to operate.
I removed the heatsink over the VRM stages to reveal a load of dry joints where it had been overheating. It was a fairly new motherboard and when I quizzed him it turns out it was still under guarantee.
I wrote an accompanying letter detailing the problem for him to send back along with the motherboard. They sent him a new replacement.

Annoying part of this story is that he paid the shop £30 to look at it and get nowhere. I told him to bring me 4 cans of Carling. That was 12 months ago and still haven't got them.

Back