how to get epg working on dm 800hd

1. Make sure you have a USB stick or HDD attached for EPG data storage.
2. Press Menu > Setup > System > EPG > Settings. Using left & right buttons either side of OK set the EPG location to /media/hdd or /media/usb. Other settings in this screen can remain as default for the purpose of this guide.
3. Press green OK.
4. Now select Crossepg and press OK.
5. Select configure and press OK.
6. Change scheduled download to once a day as for most users this is enough.
7. Set scheduled download time.
8. Press Red button for BACK.
9. Select Update rytec providers and press ok.
10. Select Update XEPGDB providers and press ok.
12. Select the EPG source that you want to use for EPG data. Do not select more than what you actually use and need as selecting too many will cause memory issues. For the purpose of this guide we will select Open TV Providers > highlight open TV (astra 28.2), press OK to enable this provider and GREEN tick will appear.
13. Press RED for BACK and keep pressing exit to exit all screen.
14. Press Blue button > Select Crossepg and press OK. Crossepg will now download EPG data. Be patient and let it finish then the EPG that you selected will be populated.

EPG data will always be saved provided your power down and reboot your receiver in the correct manner by pressing standby or holding down the standby button on your remote and selecting restart.

Last edited:
no epg location option available. Only says Storage location and the value is set to lower usb.

I feel the error is that my USB HDD is not mounted correctly.

I went to device manager - it detects the usb drive also says it has windows file system on it. Then i select an option to format it with ext2 but since past 1 hour nothing happening.

I belive before doing EPG need to mount external USB correctly

Do you have any guide?

Thank you for your patience AJT with my such noob questions.

no epg location option available. Only says Storage location and the value is set to lower usb.

I feel the error is that my USB HDD is not mounted correctly.

I went to device manager - it detects the usb drive also says it has windows file system on it. Then i select an option to format it with ext2 but since past 1 hour nothing happening.

I belive before doing EPG need to mount external USB correctly

Do you have any guide?

Thank you for your patience AJT with my such noob questions.

put usb drive into computer..navigate to computer from start menu(get to page that shows your drives on computer)...right click on your usb drive from list and select format..when format menu opens select format as fat32 and start format .
then with box powered *off* insert usb into lower slot on your box...turn on box and follow guild.if usb drive is still not seen in crossepg config then its duff.you do not need to format it to ext2 for epg..fat32 is good.

ignore 1,2,3 its for another box go from 4 in guild ie menu/settings/crossepg then 5 onwards.

Last edited:
i did everything as per the guide above.

When i go to configure - in storage device option i selected Lower USB Slot.

Updated rytec and XEPGDB providers.

astra 28.2 is with green tick.

Clicked on Download now

On the bottom right corner i see Starting downloader, starting converter for a few seconds and after that nothing.

i did everything as per the guide above.

When i go to configure - in storage device option i selected Lower USB Slot.

Updated rytec and XEPGDB providers.

astra 28.2 is with green tick.

Clicked on Download now

On the bottom right corner i see Starting downloader, starting converter for a few seconds and after that nothing.

that all seems right.
and you have latest channel list installed.
okay go to plugins menus and look for and install "COOL TV GUILD"I think it is in extensions... after install shutdown box format usb stick again to fat32 then insert in box. restart box and check crossepg config again if all as it should be try to download epg data again.
if still no joy please try another usb stick as it could be that.sometimes it happens like that the stick could be good but for some reason the box don't like it.if you use another usb stick please format again to fat32 first shutdown box and insert usb then restart box.

Last edited:
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=6A2001BB52E1F74C!3301&authkey=!ABhsA19jlA6eaic

Pls check the link above i have attached some pics so that things can become clear on my current setting.

Pls let me know if i am doing something wrong

All i can see is that when you are in crossepg config and you have ticked opentv sky 28.2E you skipped to settings expert menu...from ticking opentv 28.2E just exit that once scroll down list to download now and press okay and should download epg data.
you are connected the to internet yes?? i have to ask...

As far as i can see you have it set up right.if lower usb is showing then usb drive is good but i see you formatting/partitioning in one picture what was that?
if it was the usb after you set it to lower usb in crossepg it wont work..you need only to format it in computer to fat32 and leave it.if it was the usb you will need to format to fat 32 in computer again first....then with box off insert to lower usb turn on box go to crossepg/download now and download and it should download data
if it was a hard drive inside box or other drive then ignore this.

if anyone has any ideas please dive in as i have covered everything to my knowledge,unless crossepg is not compatible with his image (???)i dont know why its not downloading data.

Last edited:
Yes i am connected to Internet....LOL

formatting/partitioning in one picture - just trying to show that lower usb in mounted

Also check Rats DW updater pic.

Last line on tha pic shows Unzip : unsupported compression method 0

Is that normal?

Also check Rats DW updater pic.

Last line on tha pic shows Unzip : unsupported compression method 0

Is that normal?
yes its fine.I am still at a loss.try going to plugins menu then to crossepg and press ok when your on it.
did you format usb in box to a sda 1 partition?

no i did not format it with sda1.

Tried downloading 3 ways....1) From Plugins Menu 2) Blue Button -> CrossEPG Downloader and 3)From Menu -> Setup -> crossEPG but same results.

If you see a pic of Main Menu it has 7 options. and one of the 7 options is xxxxxxxxx. any clue what it is or how is that option disabled and how could i enable?

no i did not format it with sda1.

Tried downloading 3 ways....1) From Plugins Menu 2) Blue Button -> CrossEPG Downloader and 3)From Menu -> Setup -> crossEPG but same results.

If you see a pic of Main Menu it has 7 options. and one of the 7 options is xxxxxxxxx. any clue what it is or how is that option disabled and how could i enable?

sorry no idea at all.what image are you running.?
I am at this time out of ideas i see no reason why it is not working.

Enigma : 2010-02-15-experimental
Image : newnigma2-release-2010-02-19

Detected NIMs :
TunerA:Alps BSBE2 (DVB-S2)

Detected HDD:
none

Enigma : 2010-02-15-experimental
Image : newnigma2-release-2010-02-19

Detected NIMs :
TunerA:Alps BSBE2 (DVB-S2)

Detected HDD:
none

thats not the image what does it say on boot screen.
Now if i were you i would go to plugin menu and remove/uninstall crossepg reboot box and re install and start afresh.
if after you reconfigure and still no joy then it seems it never will as i am out of ideas and we have covered everything.it may be time to consider another epg or a different image even.

i got something known as graphical multi EPG.....could it be conflicting?

Do you have any idea what it is? How do i check what image am i using? On boot it just show newnigma2 image.....that's it

Tbh that's an old image mate,
Personally I would flash a more up to date image first

Thanks Finally somebody there........

is it possible to take a complete backup along with this image? Incase i try to flash and something goes wrong so that i can roll back to current image and settings.

Thanks Finally somebody there........

is it possible to take a complete backup along with this image? Incase i try to flash and something goes wrong so that i can roll back to current image and settings.

First off AJT has been trying his hardest to help you,so no need for the "Finally somebody there" remark,

As for taking a backup then yes you can,if you look in the enigma2 plugins section of the downloads there is an NFI backup plugin that I uploaded a few weeks back,

Install that ,configure the working directory to either a HDD or USB then run the backup,
When done ftp the backup to your PC for safekeeping :)

Sure Wiz, AJT wasn't just working hardest but also very patient with a newbie like me......not only added Rep to him but also did personally thanked him.....What i mean was apart from him somebody else (You) are here. Thanks.

Will do as you said and let you know. Which is the image you would suggest?

Sure Wiz, AJT wasn't just working hardest but also very patient with a newbie like me......not only added Rep to him but also did personally thanked him.....What i mean was apart from him somebody else (You) are here. Thanks.

Will do as you said and let you know. Which is the image you would suggest?

Exactly which box is it mate? Dm800hd or dm800se

And what sim and boot loader :)

Back